Print Story A horse is a horse of course of course
The B.A.D.TM

Splitting infinitives since 1972...

• I have a question for anyone using VNC under loonix. Where does it read the default desktop information?? The reason I ask is because it's using KDE as the desktop even though I use Gnome as my default. WTF????? I tried looking through the startup script but it's all friggin Chinese to me. I had to use my Sparc-server to test it, which actually runs headless meaning I use VNC to access the GUI, so I had a VNC session running a session of VNC! How friggin nerdy is that.
  • Cheese and Rice, the UPS tracking crap shows one package weighing 43 pounds (must be the main box) is on the truck out for delivery, while the other package weighing 17 pounds (must be the monitor) arrived in Toledo on Friday at noon and never left there. WTF???? This is all ucblockhead's fault.

Update [2006-3-20 14:1:25 by Bob Abooey]: Dude, they delivered my Dell!! Hoofa. Now I just have to wait for the swelling to subside before I can go downstairs to check it out. You know how embarrassing that is.

• I went out and bought me a new pair of boots for the Spring!! Wooo!! These babies look bitchin too!! Here's some pictures for you loooooosers to look at and study should you ever want to upgrade your image.

Here's a great shot from the top!

Here's an angle shot from the front!

Here's a shot of our President frolicking in a field with the Prince from a country that sponsors terrorism!

Here's a closeup from the side! Bitchin!

And finally here's a shot showing the back!

I'm wearing them today and I have to say, it's like walking on air! In fact I have to keep looking at my feet to make sure I'm even wearing anything!!

• Since I'm doing the picture thing I thought I would take a picture of my world famous Chicken tereyaki stir fry! I made this batch last night and it was, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the best batch that's ever been made since the beginning of time.

• Right. For runch today I'm going to have a big batch of chicken ~n~ bloccori, but, alas! sadly, no wildcard egg lorr cause of that whole cholesterol thing. Bah.
< Losing the Information Battle | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A horse is a horse of course of course | 42 comments (42 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
boots, food, etc by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 04:57:27 AM EST
Bob, that picture of your "new" boots looks suspiciously like the infamous shoe diaries of 2 years ago.. You aren't recycling content here, are you ? Becase I might have to disown your diary if you are..

So did you eat that entire wok-full of chicken teriyaki ? If so, piggy, if not, why are you going out to lunch ? OMM doesn't have a microwave at work or something ?

It isn't ucb's fault, really..

Isn't there a .vncrc in your home directory ? or a .profile in /etc somewhere ?

Dude by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:06:34 AM EST
You need to cross reference those stories. These are some brand spanking (never been worn outside) boots. I mean, good God man, are you blind???

re: No, I gave the rest of the leftovers to the local homeless shelter.

rere: I think the .profile thing is a Solaris thing. There's a .vnc in my home dir which is where the startup scripts reside but it's all friggin hieroglyphics to me. Shell scripting was never my forte.

Dear Bob (Mm.) by TurboThy (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 04:58:02 AM EST
Haven't you heard that wooden utensils are hotbeds of tairist bacteriæ activity? Unless you switch to good, all-american, phtalate endowed pvc utensils, you are sure to be expiring from the dreaded H5N1 virus ASAP. Especially when using it with chicken.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Yeah by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:03:08 AM EST
I know, but I kinda dig the whole vintage look and feel of them. I think the odds of getting mad chicken disease is pretty small if you clean them properly and whatnot.

--Your best pal Bob

i thought that was a ridiculous liberal myth by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:06:59 AM EST
My great grandfather used wooden utensils every day and lived to 108.

The real problem with wooden utensii by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:11:06 AM EST
Is that if you leave them in the sink for a few hours to "soak", they split and warp.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
That's the least of his worries by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:11:55 AM EST
D. Bombay wants to run more blood tests on him, which probably means he has herpes simplex 10 or hepatitis D or something.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Well by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:34:52 AM EST
My cholesterol is like 89,432, so she wants to work on getting that down first. I think that's what the full blood workup is all about but I really don't know. After all I'm an Internet SuperHero not a doctor dammit.

--Your best pal Bob

The return of the patented Abooey Shoe Diaries by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 04:58:04 AM EST
Woo Hoo!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I didn't see the Velcro, Bob. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:03:56 AM EST
I'm so proud of you, man.

I'm down with that! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:04:55 AM EST
I'm telling you, if the Nazi's had had boots like these during WWII we'd all be speaking German right now. Verstehen sie?

--Your best pal Bob

Using samples I found while idly zooming into by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:06:05 AM EST
your carpet and wall paint, I have performed trace chemical analyses. I then cross-referenced that to the google map information you previously let slip and I have pinpointed your location. You are in Ohio.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
That's pretty clever by lm (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 07:46:42 AM EST
But did you remember to zoom in and lift Bob's reflection off of one of the eyelettes? I did. From several. Now I've got pictures of Bob which I used to 3d triangumorpholate his height and weight. Then I ran an automatrophic image analysis on images.google.com to find other graphics of Mr. Abooey and found several contain street names and pictures of what looks to be various women of ill repute. From this, I'm going to inverse mephistatize his ATM usage patterns and narrow down his place of residence to a 3 block metropolitan area.

Cicero, The Republic
Oh, I already have tonnes of pictures of Bob by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:01:57 AM EST
Scraped the images from the reflections in his ham sandwiches.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Most of those aren't really Bob [nt] by lm (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:15:46 AM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Funny thing by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 07:52:26 AM EST
That's pretty much the one thing that I haven't made up or embellished or obfuscated. Indeed, in fact the one thing that you can count on is that I do indeed hail from Ohia.

And those are bitchin boots, I mean, I didn't make that up either. QED.

I hope by garlic (2.00 / 0) #39 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:55:48 PM EST
I hope you aren't saying that you've faked pictures of your hammy sammies.

Isn't that sweet by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:08:59 AM EST
The picture of GWB and the guy in the dress is wonderful.  I expect we'll see them in Boston to make it legal.  After all the GOP is about family values, and sex outside of marriage isn't right.

---------------
Homophobic and Racist comment [nt] by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:15:32 AM EST

Somebody has to be tps12, after all.

Hey now by jimgon (4.00 / 3) #13 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:19:41 AM EST
I thought I was implying that gay marriage was good family values.

It's not my fault the George Bush blows towel heads in the Oval Office.

---------------

You can't expect my comment to *make sense* by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:32:10 AM EST

much less than you can expect me to comprehend the nuance of your comment! I was staying in character there!

So was I by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:07:31 AM EST
I think.  Depends on which character I'm working on.  Too many personaes.  Doesn't help that I'm doing this at work.

---------------
Use WINE to run Windows Explorer by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:32:33 AM EST
Then expose that through VNC.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Windows Explorer??? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:20:35 AM EST
Urgh.

I've not had real good luck with Wine on my machine,  it's a tad on the slow side and as such stuff running under wine tends to run reeeeeeaaaaaaaal sloooooooooow. You can sit there and watch the screen redraw.

--Your best pal Bob

But think of the advantages by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:28:54 AM EST
You can actually use it to catch Windows viruses, just like all the popular girls.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
You know.. by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #33 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:04:45 AM EST
Why can't you be more helpful, like yicky yacky.

Indeed, ever since you've been cavorting with ti_moniacal you've really gone downhill.

Bob, by calla (4.00 / 2) #34 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:23:35 AM EST
you don't even know.

sincerely,
calla

I kind of figured by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #35 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:39:37 AM EST
That if you're using Lunix, you don't want to do things the easy way.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
~/.vnc/xstartup - yousa welcome [nt] by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 07:35:16 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Not in there by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 07:47:19 AM EST
Vncviewer calls xstartup.sh which calls Xvnc (or something like that) and some other X startup scripts in different places which seem to check local variables ($DESKTOP was one I saw which isn't set on my box) against system variables until it finds a match. At least that was what I could figure out, I don't know squat about shell scripting.

So I guess my real question is, why is KDE coming up as the default in VNC when Gnome is what comes up by default when I actually boot the machine? There must be some obscure system file that gets read by the X startup script that's telling VNC that I want to look at that crappy KDE desktop.

--Your best pal Bob

I'll have a '?', please Bob by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #26 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:06:36 AM EST

The first time you run the server, it should create ~/.vnc/xstartup. In there is where you specify either startkde & or gnome-session &.

I don't know why you're getting KDE by default. As you guessed, it's almost certainly a distro-specific thing ('gotta hate those damn distros, eh?) as , IIRC, VNC uses twm by default. It may be that the newer versions (or distro-specific versions) check to see whether either the startkde or gnome-session scripts exist in the PATH and then use the first one they find if present - use env to check the PATH etc. - this means you'll have to change how the PATH is being constructed according to your distro-specific stylee. Although: you're probably better off changing ~/.vnc/xstartup explicitly.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
HA! I kiss you! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:10:29 AM EST
So all I have to do is put gnome-session & in the startup script? Woo! I can do that!

A million thank you's for saving my from a fate worse than Windows 3.1!

More exactly by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:19:00 AM EST

here and here. There seems to be confusion as to whether it's 'exec gnome-session &' or just 'gnome-session &' (I use KDE so wouldnae know), so do what everyone does and piss about until it works.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Right O! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #30 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:25:15 AM EST
Mucho thanks, I can work it out from here. If not I'll whine about it here tomorrow.

It's a shame they don't have that in the official VNC FAQ.

--Your best pal Bob

One other thing by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:29:57 AM EST

You know there are basically two ways to kick-off an X desktop: the old startx / .xinitrc command-line method and the newer XSessions (i.e. graphical logins)?

Well: I remember some glitch whereby, with some, specific distros, ~/.vnc/xstartup simply runs .xinitrc (whether found in /etc or in ~). This can lead to the situation where you can be using XSession-style logins with, for example, Gnome, but the VNC server uses the older mechanism which triggers KDE. Just bear that in mind.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
I don't get it by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #32 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:37:27 AM EST
As there is nothing in my startup script right now I would assume it's getting kde from some x startup script, and I seem to recall seeing xinitrc somewhere along the lines.

But you're saying I should get the graphical login screen if that's the case? Oddly enough I did log out of KDE with the hopes that it would bring up the login screen which allows you to choose your desktop, but all it did was go to a blank screen which did nothing, causing me to kill it and start over.

Either way if I launch gnome directly from the startup script that shouldn't conflict with anything will it?

--Your best pal Bob

To answer your last question first by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #36 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:43:18 AM EST

No: That should be just fine.

The other thing: There are two ways to start a session using the X-server.

The first is to run the startx script, either directly from the command-line, or from another script. startx looks for a file called .xinitrc (either the local version in your home directory or the global version - usually in /etc but not always) and runs the command inside it. For example: In my ~/.xinitrc is startkde and nothing else; so when I run startx, it runs KDE.

The second way to kick-off a session using the X server is with the newer graphical logins (often erroneously called XSessions because of their search path). This is where you set xdm (the X Display Manager) to run on a given (normally default) runlevel (optionally embellishing it by using KDM or GDM instead). In this case, you never see the command-line after booting and go directly to a graphical desktop for login, much like Windows / Macs.

All I was saying was that some distros configure their VNC xstartup files to look for .xinitrc and run that. This can lead to strange situations where you're using graphical logins and gnome but have, for example, startkde in your .xinitrc file, perhaps unknowingly. Normally you'd never see KDE, because you're using the newer mechanism for starting X (and hence .xinitrc is never looked-at) but, because some VNCs use the older mechanism, it can trigger what seems like the wrong desktop. I'm not sure this is the case in your instance, but it's something to be aware of etc.

Hope that vaguely made some sort of sense ... :)

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Ah.. right by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #37 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:50:41 AM EST
I'm with you now.

When I first install loonux I have it boot to the command prompt and use startx until I make sure X is behaving the way I want, then I switch to the graphical login which is easier and whatnot. So I guess it's possible that I was using KDE when I first installed. I'll have to have a look at my .xinitrc.

--Your best pal Bob

-1 No visible mushrooms in stir fry . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #38 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:44:49 PM EST
. . . and while I'm at it, you say you gave some of that delicious food to the homeless? Shame on you for wasting the good stuff . . .

I think by garlic (4.00 / 1) #40 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 07:00:34 PM EST
he gave it to the homeless by throwing the extra out. That way they can eat out of the garbage like god intended.

those look by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #41 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 10:42:37 AM EST
much like my work boots...waterproof ones, because nothing is worse than having a shoe full of meaty water.
Send me to Austria!