Print Story Oedipus
By ucblockhead (Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:15:32 AM EST) FoML, podcasts, fun loving cowwqas., construction. (all tags)
Plus cute toddler utterances. Plus podcasts I listen to.

Please skip tedious and boring parent stuff
FoML (running past den doorway with toy screwdriver: "I want to screw you mom!!"

Me (as my wife and son were leaving): "Have fun you two!"
FoML: "Have fun you one!"

My wife: "Would you like some juice?"
FoML: "That would be lovely."

FoML: "...and Emily pulled the stump off the track with a mighty heave!"

You may continue. Merely boring stuff follows.

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately, while walking to and from work, working out at the gym, and while doing mundane work on the house. I'd listened to audiobooks years ago, but the whole "podcasting" thing has made the mundane more conventient, especially since iTunes has forced people to use MP3s instead of shitty DRM encumbered crap.

Anyway, with iTunes, I've developed a routine. (Though it's a bit annoying in that it keeps turning podcasts off because "I'm not listening to them".) These are the ones that I generally keep current on:

Escape Pod

Science Fiction short stories. The quality is higher than you might think, and probably on par with the pulp SF mags. They've had real writers like Cory Doctorow and Paul Di Filipi. Probably about a third are stories printed elsewhere, the rest original. They usually run about a half-hour, so they're good for both the gym and commute.

Spaceship radio

This is mostly rebroadcasts of the old "X-1" radio show from the mid-fifties, which featured dramatizations of golden age SF stories. Heinlein, Bradbury and Asimov are all featured. These are pretty good, though very dated. (Amazing how spaceships all sound like WWII submarines.)

Matt's Today in History

These are ten minute or so snippets of history. The subject matter is generally eclectic and while short, they go into enough depth to be new. Of the twenty or so I've listened to I've learned at least something every time.

This Week in Technology

This is a roundtable gossip fest about technology. How interesting it is generally depends on what's going on, but it passes the time.

Security Now

This is an hour long show with Steve Gibson of grc.com on security stories using an interviewer/interviewee format. (Leo Lapaporte is the interviewer.) It's generally pretty good at the security breach of the day.

The Onion Radio Network

One minute a day to keep current with world events.

Ebert and Roeper

This is the audio from the TV show. It's much more convenient than trying to actually site in front of the TV.

Update [2006-3-20 16:51:2 by ucblockhead]: I forgot to mention...I also listen to Bruce Schneier's Cryptogram...it's only once a month, though.

I also check the NPR "story of the day" and NPR's "Science Friday" podcasts, but generally don't listen to many. The first is annoying because it's only five minutes or so, not in-depth shows, and the latter seems not to include everything, but often seems to end before the call-in portion.

Sadly, a lot of existing organizations don't entirely get it, and see "podcasting" as a way to entice people to their old media sites rather than a whole new form of media.

As far as the house goes, I partially moved into the den. On Friday, I got a bit frustrated with the contractor promising to finish the wiring "today" for the last two weeks (In fairness, he was trying to get outside stuff done before the rains.) so finally I just broke down and did it myself. I think he was a bit panicked. We had one of these cross-purposes conversations where he kept trying to give me a fifteen minute lecture on home phone wiring while I continually tried to interject "no, I just need to know which of these lines goes to that plug".

I'd been itching for it as it was the one thing we needed to move the computer equipment to the new den which was the one thing needed to allow us to paint the old den, etc, etc.

The rocking part is that the new addition has cat5 everywhere. Now the DSL modem and the router are in the garage, out of sight, and the wireless access point is in the exact center of the house.

Feels good to move in, though there's still probably three months of work on the outside.

< Insert Embarrassing Act Here | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Oedipus | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
npr podcasts by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:29:22 AM EST
the most emailed stories of the day is a better one than the story of the day, since the former typically includes the latter. I also like the On the Media show, which is kept in it's entirity for it's podcast.

Steve Gibson!? by blixco (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:35:20 AM EST
Don't listen to a thing he says.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
That bad? (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:48:19 AM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
He is by blixco (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:53:01 AM EST
prone to hysterics, and tends toward creepy paranoid (vs the better healthy paranoia that most security researchers have).  Check out some of the stories and flame wars on various mail lists, and you'll see some real typical whackjob behavior.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he sucks, but he's prone to really strange flights of fancy.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

ok by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:56:41 AM EST
For the last couple months, they've been doing a basic overview of networking, which has been decent. He did go half-cocked on a "the WMF vulnerability thing was a back door!"
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yeah, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 12:04:22 PM EST
there's been a lot of discussion by him around that.  He's not very bright.  But that's just my personal opinion based on years of reading his stuff.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
See also by blixco (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:55:15 AM EST
great pages like this, and you start to get an idea what GRC is about.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Steve finds one SERIOUS EXPLOIT!!!!! a week by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:33:56 PM EST
Some of them, admittedly, are real.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
podcasts by theantix (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 12:47:21 PM EST
I strongly recommend Quirks and Quarks, a very good weekly CBC show that is somewhat like a science magazine (SciAm, Discover) but for the radio and now for podcast too.  http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/quirks.xml

oh crap by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 01:09:31 PM EST
I forgot...the Scientific American podcast is also on my list.

I'd try your link, but that sounds foreign, and I'm not sure I can understand the exotic Canadian accent.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

\m/Quirks and Quarks!\m/ by MostlyHarmless (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 07:52:25 PM EST
I just wish they'd pick a format and stick with it. First each "story" was a seperate file, then they combined the whole show into one file, now they're back to the seperate story thing again. I just wish someone would show them how to make chapters in podcasts, and that would solve the issue :-p

The one CBC show that I really, really, REALLY want a podcast of is ideas, sadly it's one of the few shows the CBC doesn't usually own the rights to. Even if they offered it for pay, we'd seriously consider subscribing.

-mh
[Mostly Harmless]

TWiT by dr k (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 12:50:25 PM EST
I was listening to this a few months ago, but the irony of listening to "tech gurus" on bad mobile phone connections was just too much.

:| :| :| :| :|

X Minus 1 by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 01:23:44 PM EST
is one of my favorite shows.

Dimension X is good, too.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Oedipus | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback