Print Story I hate being sick
By ad hoc (Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:44:39 AM EST) weekend, film, taxes, vacation, ill (all tags)
Really. I do.

Worked at the Diabetes Expo Saturday. I probably shouldn’t have, but it was proabably good that I did. I’ve had a scratchy throat coming on for several days, and I think all day on my feet trying to talk people into signing up for the bike ride probably put me over the top on the illness scale. Today I’ve had more tea than I can process and I’m starting to float away. Bleah.

Lots of people at the Expo. L---y rode her bike on the trainer all day again and totalled up about 65 miles. I think we may have convinced four or five people to ride and several others took flyers for friends or relatives who might be interested.

Didn’t get to see much of the show itself. They seemed a little shorthanded and I ended up working all day instead of only the morning, so I didn’t get to check out much of the floor. Seemed to have pretty much the same stuff as last year, though, from what I saw. I did get one bit of swag, though. a red lexan bottle with advertising Procrit (i.e. EPO).

The guy in the next booth over raises money by taking pledges in his goal to climb the 48 highest peaks in New Hampshire. L---y says he has a very nice ass. I had to agree. This is the third year he's been there, each time talking about his "fiance". We both decided it was time for him to move towards closure.

L---y and I were talking throughout the day, what with her sitting there pedaling away and the crowds ebbing and flowing as they do, It turns out she is three months older than I am. I told her she was remarkably well preserved. Her oldest daughter is 27. Ugh.

Spent all day Sunday on the sofa.

An on Sunday, on every channel was that St. Pat's Day Breakfast thing from Southie. I heard it was broadcast nationally this year. Ugh. A bunch of politicians trying to be funny and making "jokes" about running off with the public purse. OTOH, it's the only day of the year you can really tell someone you hate their guts and pass it off as a joke, so I suppose there's some redeeming quality in that.

There was another shooting down the street this morning.

Finished my taxes this morning. A week or two and I should have enough of a refund to fill up my IRA for th year.

Parental dilema redux: Finally got the parental units to speak up about what they want for their 50th wedding anniversary. It looks like a trip to San Fransisco is in the works. That's good. It will be easy enough to arrange. They don't have a lot of stamina, so while some walking is okay, it would be best to keep it to a minimum. SF is a very walking city, though, and they're not used to hills. One day will probably be a bus tour of the wine country is probably a must, even though they don't have any interest in the wine itself. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions for accomodations. A stylish B&B would be best, I think. They enjoy those rather than some non-descript hotel.

7 Faces of Dr. Lao
[Netflix] [IMDb]

Dr. Lao brings his circus into a small wild western town where the exhbits give the residents a glimpse of themselves. Tony Randall plays six roles in the film in addition to Dr. Lao. There's a love story between widow Angela Benedict (Barbara Eden) and Ed Cunningham (John Ericson) the local newspaperman. There's the evil guy, Clint Stark (Arthur O'Connel), who, knowing a railroad is coming through town, is trying to buy out the residents. Lao, as the all-knowing, all-seeing, maginc conjourer comes to town to make things right and ensure that everyone lives happily ever after, which, of course, they do.

I had hopes for this as it was done by George Pal who also did the excellent The Time Machine, the not-excellent-but-still-good War of the Worlds, and the pretty good When Worlds Collide. But this just falls flat. I can't see Tony Randall as anything but Tony Randall and no amount of makeup can make him appear as anyone other than Tony Randall. The story was weak, full of every cliche western character out there, including the kid that can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

During most of the film, I was half expecting Gene Wilder to come riding in from the distance. But some of the individual scenes had some merit, especially the Barbara Eden-Pan scene, but otherwise this is definitely a pass.

would not watch again.

Gave my dog a bone today, left over from dinner with The Arborist. It's the first one he's had in a long time. He's been working on it for most of the day, except when he gets up to get a drink. Just now he came back into the room to cuddle up with the bone for a nap.

Awwwwww.

< England Prevails! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I hate being sick | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I have e-friends in the Bay Area by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:48:15 AM EST
Do you want me set your parents up with soon-to-be illegal obscure hallucinogens and a jam band show?

I sitll have to finish totally 2005 medical expenses, including mileage, before I can finish my taxes.

Do they have bus tours by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:51:45 AM EST
of the Jefferson Airplane house?

I keep records as I go. All my receipts are in a manilla folder. The inside front cover has medical costs, the inside back cover has charity donations. At the end of the year, all I have to do is add them up.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

and the Grateful Dead House? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:03:07 AM EST
Sure, how do they feel about climbing in a 40 year old un[inspected/insure/safe] microbus with not very sober drivers?

I keep my reciepts in a manila folder, too. Mrs. Ha, who has more medical expenses than I do, tends to throw them out and not write them down in her checkbook. Couple that with a therapist who doesn't always submit her bills to the HMO, and it's financial detective time.

Yeh we need a better paper collection by cam (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:35:07 AM EST
system for tax time. My wife wants me to replace some of the furniture in the home office with a filing cabinet. Ugly pieces of furniture and blasphemy to a digital worker. But probably necessary.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Dogs love bones by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:40:35 AM EST

They also love wearing hoodies and laying on their backs, chillin' with knitted caterpillars. And I love them!

As well, I suggest Stanyan Park Hotel (B&B) for the parents. It's in Upper Haight, and there's plenty of walking to be done on a relatively flat grade, as well as easy, quick public transportation to other areas of the city, like the Ocean, downtown, etc. I had my parents stay there, and they loved it.

Thanks by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:09:27 AM EST
that looks like a good place. Well located and stuff.

Plus, two hospitals right nearby!!!
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

It's a block away from my old home by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:12:31 AM EST

Where I benefitted greatly from hospital proximity, as, I've found, districts of cities with hospitals in them never lose power in scheduled brown-outs.

It's appealing by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:20:18 AM EST
in spite of the fact their website resizes my browser.

A pox on that.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

"Wine country" by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 12:08:58 PM EST
Repeat after me: "Sonoma. Not Napa. Sonoma. Not Napa."

(Unless they like paying three times as much for fighting larger crowds.)

Unfortunately the only B&Bs in the area I've stayed at are in Napa or Half Moon Bay. The latter is probably too far afield.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

B&B by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 12:56:55 PM EST
No, they want to stay in SF. The wine thing would be a one-day excursion, mostly to get them off their feet for a day and see some of the countryside.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
I hate being sick | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback