Print Story England Prevails!
By TheophileEscargot (Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:46:40 AM EST) Watching, Reading, Me (all tags)
What level of 5BX exercises will I finally achieve?

What I'm Watching 1
Saw "V for Vendetta" at the cinema, liked it a lot. Has a couple of weaknesses in that it gets a bit verbose, and has a few heavy-handed contemporary political references wedged incongruously into the dialogue. On the whole though, it's nicely balanced. There are a few action scenes, but nothing like the interminably long pointless fights of the later Matrix films. Keeps closer to the original comic than expected, with great chunks of Alan Moore dialogue repeated near-verbatim. Even preserves the section where V tortures Evie, which keeps V as an ambiguous character rather than an outright hero.

Has a couple of decent performances. Natalie Portman's accent isn't too grating, and Stephen Fry does a good job as a gay TV presenter. Quite liked the little details of a future UK police state: secret police driving Rovers and some appalling TV. Only a couple of howlers, like a woman born in 1985 going to grammar school after taking her 11-plus. Also has some striking images, as in the scene where the V-masked crowds converge on Parliament, which blows up nicely.

After the wincingly awful adaptations of From Hell and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, shame that Alan Moore chose this one to start taking his name off the credits: though he hasn't actually seen it.

Rating: a near-perfectly balanced #BDA8B0.

(Red=Entertainment, Green=Originality,Blue=Intelligence)

Me: Exercise
Started on 5BX Chart 4. This should be the last level for me: at my age I'm expected to reach level C- if averagely capable. Pretty exhausting, but managed to make it well within the time limit. The Exercise 4 press-ups aren't too bad compared with last time: they're just normal press-ups only with the hands level with ears instead of shoulders. Exercise 5 feels bloody hard, felt shaky afterwards and it took me ages for my breath and heart to return to vaguely normal. Five years ago I remember thinking it was a doddle, since I'd already been lifting my knees quite high. Don't get old, kids.

What I'm Watching 2
Saw 2046 on DVD. Seems like partly a tribute to period French movies, though set in 1960s Hong Kong. A writer shags a succession of women and moodily smokes cigarettes while a wailing-violin soundtrack informs us that he has Missed His Chance at True Love. It's also intercut with sci-fi scenes from a story he's writing, in which he metaphorically confronts his objectification of women and the emptiness of his existence; while remaining consciously oblivious.

Thought it was a bunch of self-indulgent crap myself, but seems to have gotten rave reviews from most critics. Guardian, Observer, Salon. I give it #14D0B0.

Also saw classic political Western: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Superb film with Jimmy Stewart as an idealistic newcomer, John Wayne as a grizzled cowboy and Lee Marvin as the bad guy. Plot was a bit predictable, but it's excellently crafted, thoughtful, with some good comic and serious performances. #CBA4C0.

What I'm Reading
Still not doing much reading. Got through a comic: The New Frontier - Volume One which has some post-WW2 stories of the DC superheros; some familiar, some new to me. Nicely drawn with faded colours in a kind of half-retro, half-Japanese style. Has a couple of neat touches in the stories. The problem is, not a lot actually seems to happen: it seems to be mostly dealing with a few origin stories and setting things up for a conflict later on. Will keep an eye out for volume 2 but don't think I'll actively seek it out.

< It has become clear to me that i am a robot | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
England Prevails! | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
11-plus by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 08:58:59 AM EST
Alive and well in Birmingham, and many other council areas.

Damn by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 4) #2 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:12:40 AM EST
Boy, is my face #FF0000.
It's alive and well in all UK, just renamed by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 01:58:41 AM EST
11-plus -> SAT.
Grammar school -> Selective school.

A suggestion by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:41:00 AM EST
I can't follow the shades. May I suggest using colour shorthand? That gives you 16 shades of each rather than 256 shades of each.

#fde

rather than

#ffd8e2

Just 0-f for each of RG or B rather than 00-ff for each.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

3D Film Rating system suggestion by priestess (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:41:45 AM EST
Can you make the block of colour link to some post where you explained what it all means? I have no memory see, I can't remember if Red means Inteligent or Original or Beautiful or what.

Pre.......
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Put in with edit by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:57:49 AM EST
(Red=Entertainment, Green=Originality,Blue=Intelligence)

Forgot this time.

Still, -1: too chromatically abled centric by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 02:00:08 AM EST

If you liked The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:55:05 AM EST
You might also like The Shootist. Similar feel, though not as well done.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The Shootist is my favorite John Wayne movie by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:02:29 AM EST
But let it be said that having Ronnie Howard for a co-star isn't anywere close to having Jimmy Stewart for a co-star.

Cicero, The Republic
My favorite is Rooster Cogburn by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:05:15 AM EST
John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's true by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:19:45 AM EST
But Lauren ...

Cicero, The Republic
I'm a big fan of the Quiet Man. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:22:30 AM EST

Thanks, have stuck it on the rental list [nt] by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 10:07:06 AM EST

V for Vendetta by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 12:56:52 AM EST
You and Philip French are the only reviewers who've liked it. I can't stand Philip French (he hated Starship Troopers!), but you tend to know what you're talking about.

Only one way to tell I suppose, I'll go and see it later in the week.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Well by R Mutt (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 01:05:21 AM EST
The Onion and Christopher Robin Was Murdered were vaguely positive. Think the movie falls between two stools a bit: not arty enough for the broadsheet reviewers, not enough action for the action movie fans.

he hated Starship Troopers by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 05:10:38 AM EST
So did everyone else who had read the book.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Seems to be that way by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 05:19:10 AM EST
...Apart from me who thinks the film is superior. The anti-fascist message is clear as a bell, the book is a lot more ambiguous. Maybe that's a good thing, but I preferred the way Verhoevan did it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

England Prevails! | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback