Print Story MFC Official Voting!
Music
By blixco (Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 07:29:00 AM EST) mfc, music, music fun challenge (all tags)
Vote Here!  Voto Aqui!

Update [2006-3-20 13:59:35 by blixco]: Results are in!

The entries are in!  The eleven tracks are assembled, some with multi-track multi-take loving care, some with single-take recorded-in-one-go madness.  The entrants are waiting patiently for your decision.

Vote here in the poll for your favorite MFC entry:

My version of Jockey Full of Bourbon, jfob.

MNS's take on Tom Traubert's Blues, Tom Trauberts Schizophrenic Disorder.

The SuperHappyMotivated's I Hope I Don't Fall In Love With You.

256 and Misslake doing Hold On.

Driusan's take on I Don't Wanna Grow Up.

Bob Abooey's First Light.

The ever prolific MNS and djproselytic's Northerner Underground (Graft Mix)

TPD's take on "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)," My Guitar's Hung Over.

yicky yacky wants us to Quango 'Til They're Raw

ana's take on I Hope I Don't Fall In Love With You called I Hope.

Lastly but not leastly, vorheesleatherface with Going Deaf - Coliseum

This was an excellent MFC, in my opinion, and the track list is incredible.  It's going to be a tough vote!

By the way: winner picks next MFC. Voting closes Monday @ noon, CST (-6 GMT).

[editor's note, by ana]: Adding motty's late entry, Strangers.

Update [2006-3-20 13:59:35 by blixco]: The results are official:

1st place: misslake + 256 with "Hold On"

2nd place: blixco with "jfob"

3rd place: motty with "Strangers"

This was an excellent MFC, well done all 'round. I am, as always, completely amazed by the talent displayed here. The next MFC will be handled by 256; stay tuned for updates.

Well done, everyone.

< Hip to be square | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
MFC Official Voting! | 42 comments (42 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Arses by gazbo (4.00 / 4) #1 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 07:44:05 AM EST
Just didn't have time to enter.  I may finish the track anyway just for shits and giggles.

Now to refresh my memory of what everyone else submitted, and votus maximus.

Also, +1VSTFP

In addition to VSTFP by Driusan (4.00 / 3) #7 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 11:11:02 AM EST
Harass editors to make poll main site poll

Vive le Montréal libre.
That by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #8 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 11:38:01 AM EST
Is a really good idea.  Consider it done.

Blix, hope you don't mind - I made some minor changes to the poll question to make it make more sense out of the context of the diary.

So which by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:53:43 PM EST
will be the official poll?

I vote for the front page / main poll, because it'll get more eyeballs.  Maybe we can link to it from this story?  But that would throw some votes away...so anyone who has already voted would get to vote again.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

The way scoop works.. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:55:19 PM EST
they're the same poll, with the same votes and comments and stuff. It's just been promoted so that it's also displayed on the main page.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Aha! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:56:17 PM EST
OK!
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
What Driusan said by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:57:44 PM EST
I'd not have moved it without permission otherwise.

You'll note that when you vote or view the results on the FP poll it still takes you through to the comments in your diary.

Please do. by motty (2.00 / 0) #31 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 06:18:37 PM EST
Just for shits and giggles. Also I want to hear it. Am finally listening to the ZZ Top MFC now, which it sounds a lot to me like you won, and never mind who voted for who.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
VLF's Colloseum really did it for me by cam (4.00 / 2) #2 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 07:44:58 AM EST

Quality stuff VLF. Also props to Misslake for singing. All quality mp3s that have been nanopodded and are now part of my every day listening.

In the ACFC, TPD's and MNS's come in as a tie, though yicky yackys is excellent too. I suspect I may use them all on different mp3s.

Rock on. Congratulations all.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

by "All quality mp3s" by cam (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 07:45:55 AM EST
I meant all of them are quality mp3s and have been ...

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Shit by motty (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 08:51:54 AM EST
I thought I had until tomorrow.

Shit shit shit shit shit.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

You don't! by blixco (4.00 / 2) #5 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 09:23:50 AM EST
So get cracking!
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Shoin already. by motty (4.00 / 2) #9 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:17:57 PM EST
I am now uploading something horrible.

Feel free to pretend I didn't :)

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

I edited it into the story by ana (4.00 / 2) #10 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:32:34 PM EST
and into the poll.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Ta. by motty (4.00 / 2) #11 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:35:38 PM EST
This is what happens when you get drunk and do one guitar take, one vocal take, one bass take, one piano take, then compress the fuck out of it all until it begs for submission, and you are too pissed to care.

My apologies.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

IDEA: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #26 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 09:08:47 AM EST
Send your vox track to MNS, let him drop it on to his entry.

Thanks to a really fucking bad bug in FireFerret, I've discovered that it's pretty damned good.

correction by 606 (2.00 / 0) #36 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 05:36:28 AM EST
Send your vox track to me.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Holy crap! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #17 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:55:26 PM EST
That is fucking genious!  Goddamn!  I love it.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
I was teh evil socialist by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #6 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 10:02:07 AM EST

and voted for all for them.

It may seem like a cop-out, but there was not a single one I couldn't listen to reasonably often and, weighed on their own merits, they are just grand.

Being a consistent evil socialist, I also voted for this story.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Well, that seals it by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:42:50 PM EST
256 + Misslake, on account of the fact it's awesome.  It's the brilliant contrast between the dirty production and 256's sneering vocals and Misslake's stunning sweet voice.  You'd think such a contrast would clash, but it's just perfect.

MNS + djproselytic - I just love the production as I've already stated in greater detail.

Motty - the playing in this is brilliant; the guitar and piano works together so well.

But yeah, this is probably the highest standard competition to date.

Missed one by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #13 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:46:19 PM EST
I also voted for Blixco.  I remain amazed at how well he can sing - it just doesn't seem right that this random Texan can sing so well.

Random Texan by Herring (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 12:51:32 PM EST
You just wait - one day I'll play you my interpretations of Jim Croce.

Well I know it's kind of late ...

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Every Texan by blixco (4.00 / 1) #20 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 01:06:21 PM EST
sings well.  It's an indisputable fact.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Motty has burned me again by cam (4.00 / 1) #25 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 02:27:27 PM EST
I voted too quickly. Should have learned by this stage that motty will hand in his homework late - and it will be awesome.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

blixco: by komet (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 01:06:21 PM EST
that bloke can sing. I was teh surprised.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Thanks! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #22 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 01:07:22 PM EST
Why is everyone surprised?  I may be an ugly cranky Texan but...oh.  Ah.  I get it.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
to be more precise by komet (4.00 / 2) #23 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 01:13:00 PM EST
I was honestly expecting your voice to be filled with slightly more hatred and spite. You know, like your postings. You sound way too mild-mannered on the recording.

Oh, that turned out to be criticism. Never mind then.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Criticism is OK. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #24 Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 01:22:50 PM EST
Encouraged even.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Going down the list by Forbidden (4.00 / 1) #27 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 12:57:16 PM EST
blixco - because he's got such a sweet voice, being a eunuch and all.

Abooey - Shit, that was amazing. Very jazzy.

TPD - Another amazing entry. I can't put my finger on why, except that it reminds me of playing Dr. Mario.

motty - Fuck. I mean really. That was the shit.

You once was.
Miss Lake by grendel (4.00 / 3) #28 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 02:43:05 PM EST
has a lovely voice.

Indeed she does. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #29 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 02:54:01 PM EST
The whole track is damn fine, though.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
True, true. by grendel (4.00 / 1) #35 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 02:46:27 AM EST
I really did dig on the reggae beat and muppet voice of 256. Never thought about Tom Waits like that. Fucking great. I really enjoyed your track too, bro.

/me voted... by ana (4.00 / 2) #30 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 03:07:32 PM EST
...after waiting for other late entries, for motty, 256/misslake, and the mns et al. entry.

Quite the learning experience, not half about how the recording tools work. Oh, and I broke a string on my guitar (which was thus not used).

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

so tempting to vote by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #32 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 12:35:43 AM EST
to vote, without having listened to any of the tracks...

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Hard choice by TPD (4.00 / 1) #33 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 01:25:28 AM EST
I could have so easily gone down the Yacky route.... but I decided to limit my choice to 3..... picking the 3 was REALLY REALLY hard though 256/mislake were from the moment I heard them going to get one of my votes - excellent the contrasting voices work really well together.... I'd love to hear them cover fairy tale of new york!

In terms of the other 2 after much deliberation I plumped for Blixco's outstanding singing and Yicky Yackys great instrumental, but another listen to the whole lot and I would have probably changed my mind yet again, all were excellent!

Cover challenge... there may not be a poll, but I have to go for MNS' as my favourite - which works really well as a design.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Votes by MrPlough (4.00 / 1) #34 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 01:55:29 AM EST
TPD, motty, 256&misslake.

Lot's of high quality stuff though.
No work.

A snapshot of the results as they stood by blixco (4.00 / 2) #37 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 09:00:37 AM EST
for historical purposes:

---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

i'd like to thank the academy by 256 (4.00 / 3) #38 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 08:39:23 AM EST
as well as wooden jim and robo, the invisible members of SMUT.

now misslake and i will retreat into our cave to plot the next incarnation of the all-powerful MFC. live in fear and trepidation. we shall be carefully considering debacle's "Theme song to the movie Titanic MFC" suggestion.

incidentally, i voted for Driusan, blixco and yicky yacky. Particularly, I loved the whistling on yy's entry.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #41 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 03:29:10 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

very tempting by 256 (4.00 / 2) #42 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 02:56:27 PM EST
but i have sworn to break us free of this pattern of artist-based MFCs.

still, i may have to do a rendition of tv casualty just for kicks
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Holy shit by evilpenguin (4.00 / 2) #39 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 05:00:27 AM EST
A Tom Waits cover contest?!? Just what else has been going on in the time since I was away?  This is so fucking awesome, and I will be sure to participate in the future.  Shit, I wish I had only checked when this was still going on.  In my old band we covered "Big In Japan", but I would have loved to do a take on "Kommienezuspadt".

Damn yo.
I'd like to drop my trousers to the world

256 will have something by blixco (2.00 / 0) #40 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 05:21:23 AM EST
very good for us, I am sure.

Do you have any recordings of your cover?
---------------------------------