Print Story That chick, Marla Singer, did not have testicular cancer
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:01:00 AM EST) Jesus, Dude I bought a dell, lunch, Dr. Bombay (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Bringing it home since 1972...

• During my visit to Clarksville oer the weekend I went with my sister and her young'ns to church. Now, I haven't been to church since, uh, Easter about 10 years ago. Not that I have anything against it, it's just not my thing. Well anyways, my sisters HOT friend was going so I thought the proper thing to do was to go along. The church was the darndest thing I've ever seen. It's a non-denominational place, which means they're down with Jesus, but they don't have lots of old dogma to get hung up on, or something like that.

Anyways, this church is designed for young upwardly mobile hip families. Really, it had a food court just like the Mall. They had a live rock band (they were singing about Jesus but it was rock music) and they had these giant screens behind the preacher guy with a friggin powerpoint presentation running on them and they offer mp3's of the sermon from their website. How hip is that? The preacher guy was young and hip and funny too, he was making jokes and was actually very entertaining. Anyways, I have no plans to join a church but if Clevia had a place like that I think I would go every once in a while, it was crawling with hot milfs too. Crikey.

• I had a follow up visit with Dr. Bombay this morning for the cyst on my hand. Well, the cyst is all gone, praise Jesus, but Dr. Bombay once again thought I had too much blood so she sent me to the lab to have some taken out. Ugh. I could never be a heroin user, that stickin needles in your arm is whack. Plus, the good Dr. said she heard a heart murmour and she sent me off to the Heart floor for an ultra-sound.

The heart floor was damn depressing, all these old farts walking around waiting to die and staring at me like I'm an piece of meat or something. But the ultra-sound was the coolest thing ever. You get to lay there and look at the computer screen while Dr. Frankenstein does all the tests. You can watch your valves flapping and you can see the heart muscles contracting and whatnot. Way cool. Dr. Bombay says I'm most likely fine and dandy but she's one thorough doc so she wanted to be sure.

• Hammy the sammy for lunch today, along with the standard huge vat of small-curd cottage cheese. QED.
  • Dude, I bought a Dell. Yeah yeah, it's un-hip and un-cool, blah blah blah. My dad actually gave me his blessing on it, telling me for what I had picked out he couldn't save me any money and if I'm willing to live with the Dell parts lock-in it's a fine deal. So I pulled the trigger. I went with the 19 inch digital flat panel monitor even though it was a bit more, plus I went with the Audigy ZS2 soundcard which should work with loonux. They're building it right now and I should have it in about a week and a half or so. All told it was $1,259. So now I have to figure out how to install loonux to dual-boot on this bastard. Plus I think I may get a couple games for it, like maybe Normandy Invasion or some other WWII game, so I can kill some Nazis!
< Birds. Cameras. Sidewalks. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
That chick, Marla Singer, did not have testicular cancer | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Welcome to the megachurch, Bob by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:11:15 AM EST
I think that's the general name for those non-denominational evangelical churches that try to incorporate all the latest multimedia, coffee bars, daycare, etc all into one big ball of wax. I would bet dollars to doughnuts you have some in Clevadelphia, they usually advertise.

I've never attended one, though Mrs. Ha has. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist at heart, if you're going to have Faith, I reckon you might as well go whole hog and dress it up with statues, stained glass, incense, robes, dead languages and sexually repressed ministers. OTOH, my one time at a black church was very cool and rocking in a Blues Brother's sort of way, with the really rocking electric guitar/bass/keyboards/drums combo and the MILfs in their Sunday best just unable to sit still and dancing in the aisles.

In another strange coincidence, I had to give some blood today, I think it's to check up on rheumatoid athritis indicators and other stuff. Aside from the one developmentally disabled lass, I was the youngest one there, by a decade.

My home Loonix box is a Dell, GX 100 or something, some wacky ass nearly diskless corporate thing that I had to use an external disk drive to use my CDrom with, since I don't have the whole diskless booting infrasture thing going on.

How can you forget the pipe organ? by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:28:04 AM EST
I'm not religious, but my wife does go to church occasionally. My only requirement is that the church has a pipe organ. A well played church organ makes me believe that there just might be a good.

megachurches by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:49:50 AM EST
Aren't they also operated as fundraising branches of the GOP? If Bob is OK with pre-emptive wars on kittens and wiretapping grandma, that's fine with me. I just thought he should know.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Well by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 08:04:26 AM EST
If they have condom dispensers in the lobby I don't think they're hooked up with the GOP.

But now that you mention it I don't think I saw any darkies there, so it may be a money raising front for the neocons.

Thanks for the heads up on that one!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I'm not into old skool Jesus by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:49:51 AM EST
In fact I would go more for the social aspect than to get down with Jesus. It was a huge place, must have been at least a thousand people in this large theatre-type room. Clevia might have something like it but frankly, I don't think clevia is that hip. How do you look that up? Church mega-mall? Church for the hip?

re: I got the good blood guy, one painless stab and I'm outta there. Last month I had the blood-chick-in-training who was wildly flailing about and didn't know how to stick you in a pain-free manner.

rere: See, all the cool kids have Dell!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Look for a church that advertises by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:53:52 AM EST
and doesn't have the usual sectarian code words in it, like Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist. Something like New Bethel Church of the Living Word of Jesus the Almighty Redeemer, or something like that. They'll probably advertise kid care, flexible hours, you know, like a health club.

You do have to be careful, all those demons and such aren't as hip, and if you attempt to drive them away with a Powerpoint presentation and a rock tuned dedicated to the love of Jesus, it aint gonna work. When you're dealing with possession, nothing beats Latin, save maybe Aramaic.

I rarely have problems giving blood, but my veins stick out all the time anyhow.

Go South, young man by SmoothP (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:54:02 AM EST
I've been looking for a good Megachurch around Cleveland for a while, but haven't had much luck.  Looks like we have a few "small" megachurches out in the burbs, but for the real stuff, you gotta head south.  Judging by size alone (and isn't that what faith is about, really?), The Chapel in Akron might just do the trick.

We haven't done lunch in a while (hell, LTD dropped off the grid altogether); maybe we need to meet up for a Lunch With Jesus sometime...

Charmingly multiethnic good looking people by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:56:33 AM EST
on the front page, multiple services and a branch campus, and White Water Rafting! Sounds like a megachurch to me!

That sounds good by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 08:21:49 AM EST
I assumed LtD was busy with the marriage plans, I haven't heard from him in a while either.

Go all the way to Akron just to get a hipper Jesus??? Christ, no wonder Clevia has gone to hell in a handbag.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Jebus! by Improbus (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 09:58:08 AM EST
Being raised Catholic put me off religion for the foreseeable future.  I don't have a pressing need to have my sins forgiven or fork over 10% (tithing) of my hard earned cash.  Also, not many hot MILFs hang out at Catholic churches.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
Installing dual boot by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:13:33 AM EST
First you put the left boot on, then you.. Oh, wait, you're talking OSen on PCs...

First install windows, then partition magic, partition the hard drive appropriately, then install loonux.

A neat trick is to have two hard drives. Drive 1 holds the bootloader, windows, and the linux swap partition. Drive 2 holds linux and the windows swap file (on a windows partition). It's wonderful how much that can speed up a system.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Those are nice by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:17:59 AM EST
monitors, limited to 1280 x 1024.

The hardware is the same as everyone else.  Be warned, though: I've had 1 out of 10 Dimensions die on me in the last month.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

1 out of 10 Dimensions by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:20:41 AM EST
Damn. And here I've been getting along just fine on 3 dimensions. 4, if you count time.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

There are five, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:23:07 AM EST
and one out of ten fail.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Aye by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:28:52 AM EST
We use Dells here at work and have had very good luck with them. Do they all ship out of Texas?

I've made a career out of buying cheap PC's (I bought a refurb PII 266 back in 98 that is still running) and always had good luck.

Why are they dieing? Power supply? CPU failing?? Really I've never seen anything go other than power supplies and those are easy to replace.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Bad SATA controller, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 08:29:09 AM EST
bad RAM, bad power supply, and one was just....dead.

They don't ship out of Texas, do they?  I thought they were out of Tennessee.

Anyhow.  Yours will probably be OK.  It's no better or worse than any other manufacturer, really; they all use the same exact parts.  Dell just does it cheaper (often with less testing, or with cheaper peripherals).
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

All I can say by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 09:17:41 AM EST
They're pretty by blixco (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 10:35:10 AM EST
but boy are those expensive.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Oh yeah by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:52:42 AM EST
I got the XPS 400.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Just so you know by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:48:31 AM EST
My sister has a heart murmur and it turned out my uncle did too. Nobody knew it until he was like 40, but he had a hole the size of a quarter in there, which probably explains why he was such a laid-back dude. I use the past tense since he keeled over while mowing the lawn one day. I just thought you should know.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Thanks for the heads up! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 08:16:24 AM EST
But I didn't see any holes in there when the guy did the ultra-sound. He even told me if he saw any life threatening problems he would let me know so I could get it checked out poste haste.

Plus he told me my blood velocity was perfect. Perfect! How bout them apples!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Poll Clarification: Additive or subtractive? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:49:59 AM EST
ie. working with lights or pigments?

Yes by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:58:29 AM EST
~nt~

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

WIPO: All colors xor no colors by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:59:54 AM EST

Dual booting is pie by theantix (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:51:14 AM EST
Ubuntu has been able to resize ntfs partitions safely and smoothly for  months now, I would be shocked if $your_favourite_distro didn't do the same.  Just install the regular way, resize your windows partition off the lunix CD in the partitioning step, and then continue installing like normal and it will do the dual boot selection for you.  It will be ok, I promise.

That's what I thought by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:58:00 AM EST
I think Mandriva had a partition resize option in it  when I installed it last year. I may have a look at Ubuntu, I'll need to get a current distro to get the best drivers and stuff.

In fact, I still have a live-cd version of Ubuntu, maybe I'll give that a whirl to see how it works.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

yes by theantix (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 08:03:34 AM EST
I agree that trying out a very recent distro is a good idea, FC5 and Ubuntu Dapper (both nearly stable now) and maybe Mandriva has a newish version out there?

"So, I just resize the Windows partition, then install loonux on the other partition and install grub as the boot-loader? I assume loonux will know that Windows is there and do all that boot-loader stuff for me?"

Just in case this wasn't clear: the lunix installer itself should support resizing the windows partition as part of the normal installer process.  And yeah, it will recognize windows and configure grub to have that be an option to boot into.

"nearly stable" by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 09:25:48 AM EST
yeah by theantix (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 09:37:20 AM EST
I wouldn't recommend it just yet to someone just starting out on linux, but someone of Bob's calibre ought to have no problems with the minor quibbles that are still around before it stabilizes.

Urgh.. by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 10:05:16 AM EST
I'm more of a user than a hacker these days. That's why I dumped Fedora and went with the newbie Mandriva distro, I got tired of haXing around unstable stuff. I just want to click and go these days.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

So bob by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 08:17:46 AM EST
was your sister looking to set you up , or what, since you keep dropping the hot friend name.. Some mega churches advertise, some don't. Look for the traffic on Sunday mornings when the browns aren't loooosing at home, and that's usually a good indicator of where the mega churches are. They tend to be suburban, but still..

Also, get with the times, it's Mumbai not Bombay, you racist!

No by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 08:27:38 AM EST
My sister lives about 9 million miles away. Her Hot friend has a son who happens to be the best pal of my little nephew, so the moms hang out together too.

HA! Well, actually my doctor graduated from Bombay University, BEFORE they changed the name, so technically I'm correct in calling her Dr. Bombay. She's a swell doc.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Churches by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 09:20:25 AM EST
My friend and his wife go to a Vineyard 'church' in suburban MD.  They love it and the couple of times I've gone it's been alright (that is to say, as an atheist, I wasn't constantly feeling the need to vomit).

They have the whole rock band thing with coffay and donuts and all kinds of other shit there for the folks to pig out on.  Most folks wear jeans/shorts too, with most of the <25 set looking like they just rolled out of bed.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
piece of meat by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 10:34:08 AM EST
That's right.  Those people were sizing you up to see which vital organs they could harvest to prolong their already freakishly long existence.  Mark my word, just like that guy on the internet, you'll wake up in a bathtub filled with ice tomorrow.

---------------
Bob, by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 03:23:34 PM EST
that's not a hip church, it's a for profit church with a marketing department.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

But wouldn't that jeopardise their tax-free status by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 05:38:01 PM EST
?

Praise Jesus! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #37 Thu Mar 16, 2006 at 03:36:12 AM EST
If anyone needs a hip marketing department it's Jesus. I mean, that cat is sooo stone age.

Warmest regards,