Print Story With miles to go before I sleep.
By toxicfur (Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 07:21:48 PM EST) (all tags)
Miles and miles of text. It's all running together at this point, and I worry that this draft is going to read like one of Dr. Thrustgood's drunken diaries, only less amusing.

I have one major overhaul of this particular draft to do before I can send it off. I'm hoping I can finish it in an hour or so, and then I'll read on the couch for a few minutes to clear my head so that I'll be able to sleep.

Already this week, I've worked far more hours than I was hired to do in a week. Oddly, that pleases me. I like working hard, and I like seeing something concrete arising from the work I'm putting in. Even particular level of hell is far closer to paradise than working as a restaurant manager. I put in an equivalent number of hours then, but I had nothing to show for it but carefully held back tears and a whole lot of TPS reports.

Interruption to tell Teh Dawg that the cats are doing nothing wrong. Please don't chase them.

The $evil_project soundtrack for tonight is Concrete Blonde, Bloodletting. It seems oddly apt. Yesterday, sitting in my office, I was listening to Eminem. I felt gleefully subversive listening to an artist so reviled by the acadmics I knew in graduate school while sitting in a high-level academic administration office.

Of course, I was the teacher in grad school (and beyond) who taught Eminem and Nine Inch Nails ("Closer," of course) and Liz Phair (Flower) and Snoop Dogg ("Gin and Juice"). I loved the look on my students' faces, moving from shock at hearing "I want to fuck you like a dog/ I'll take you home and make you like it" in a college classroom, to satisfaction at understanding one way to interpret poetry. It's all about context. I was a pretty mediocre teacher, but I had my moments.

I got a new toy in the mail today. I've been wanting a graphics tablet for a while. I'm a mediocre artist, as well, but there's something incredibly relaxing about drawing. It's something to do with my hands that allows my mind to focus. It took every ounce of self-control to avoid playing with the new toy tonight when I got home. I installed the software and then put it away. Must. Work.

And, on that note, I've still got a few more miles to go.

< slumming through the week: tomorrow it's half way over | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
With miles to go before I sleep. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yep. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 02:53:46 AM EST
I like work, too. My concrete outputs in the last year or two have ranged from satisfying to to frustrating, but the satisfying ones rule.

I have a graphics tablet. The pen was thrown out, it's not clear by whom, otherwise I'd be getting them to buy me a new one. I have barely used it.

Although I imagine I will use... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 03:10:09 AM EST
the graphics tablet for work on occasion, it's mostly a toy. I look at it much like my Nintendo DS - something relaxing to do at the end of a long day.

And yes, my job is overwhelmingly satisfying. I never imagined I'd be writing for a living, but it's pretty much the ideal job for me.
damn it, lif eis actually really *far4 too good at tghe momnent, shboyukbnt;t whilen. --Dr Thrustgood

Yep. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 02:54:29 AM EST

I've got the ways and means..... by blixco (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 03:51:45 AM EST
Heck yeah.  Damn fine work album.  Poisonous Garden is probably my favorite track on the thing, though i obviously dig the title track.

It's in rotation in the car right now, and I was listening to it on the way in.  That CD makes my car go faster.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Poisonous Garden. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 04:30:06 AM EST
That's my favorite too, though, like you say, the title track rocks (except maybe for the silly slurp). I rarely drive, but the album does make me walk faster. I actually got this album because an ex-girlfriend put "Tomorrow, Wendy" on a mixed cd she burned for me for my 29th birthday. I still love that song.

Liz Phair by jaxom green (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 06:29:52 AM EST
As an amazing coincidence "Divorce Song" was playing as I read your diary entry.

A friend and I drove to Buffalo (from the greater Boston area) because that was the closest stop of the Lilith fair that Liz Phair was playing.  The day I returned another friend emailed me and offered me his tickets to the WFNX event that Liz was playing a few weeks later.  It's a great feeling to see a fairly reclusive artist twice in one month.

I've only seen Liz Phair once. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 06:37:12 AM EST
Opening for, of all people, Alanis Morrisette. It was kind of fun watching people leave after the opening act - she certainly far outshone everything that followed. I didn't see her at Lilith Fair (I don't think she made it to North Carolina)...that had to be an awesome show.
We left after Liz Phair played by jaxom green (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 07:40:28 AM EST
The Lilith fair experience was very interesting.  Very different vibe than standard rock shows.  I got to feel what women must feel like at metal or other hard rock shows - very out of place and unwelcome by a significant (but no where near majority) portion of the audience.  As a large (6'5" 300lbs) white male I kind of stood out from the crowd.  Otherwise the show was awesome, and the conversations we had with the lesbian couple and their adopted children about music was very cool, especially since it touched on how it feels to go shows/places where you don't "fit in".

Liz was the second to last act, and she was awesome to listen to.  For someone who supposedly had terrible stage fright that initially stopped her from touring early in her career she appeared to have gotten over it very well.  We ended up leaving shortly into Sara McLachlan's set even though both of us normally like her music because it sounded so bad.

With miles to go before I sleep. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback