Print Story What the ...
By Herring (Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 08:43:24 AM EST) religion, tv, (some tags), (most tags) (all tags)
thing.

Inside: fuckers, more fuckers, odd and stuff

OK, so when I go to work in the morning, frequently I take the train. It's a little way to the station so I do drive and then park in the handy free car park that's there. This evening, I got back to my car only to find a "fixed penalty notice" on the windscreen. "Ha, ha" thinks I, "some advertising gimmick". Now it's not. While I wasn't watching, they've made it pay and display. Of course, this morning in my rush I didn't notice. I only noticed that the car park was much emptier than usual.

So, anyway, I used to be able to save £6 every day by going on the train. Now it's £1. Either that or I start out a little earlier and park in a nearby residential street - which is, I am sure, the effect the council was looking for.

There is a station which is slightly closer to my house and slightly further down the same route which would, in theory, allow me to get the same train 8 minutes later and only pay £2 for parking. However, at this station there are only 4 parking spaces and they are normally taken. Oh, and the traffic is shit that way so it would take me longer to get there.

Mrs. H. pointed me at an article in her TES the other day which said that there are actually plans to put "Intelligent" design on the biology curriculum in the UK. WTF?

Anyhow, a while ago, I was speculating on the entertainment possibilities of going into PC World and asking for landscape A4. If questioned, pull a bit out of your pocket and ask them to examine the grain. Anyhow, so far, so unfunny. One of the new analyst fellows at work (who I didn't reckon to be very sharp) has perfected a way, with his documents, so that the sections which are landscape demand the paper to be fed in manually (separate sections, same document). The joke's on me - there is such a thing a special landscape paper.

So, yesterday watched the Passion for Churches programme which featured my dad in a non-speaking part and my mum in a "lots of speaking" part. Also in a playing the organ, showing people around and generally giving the impression that she runs the whole church singlehandedly part. Hmm. Also she printed a Word document flawlessly - I wonder how many takes they needed.

Many people at work fail the Tebbit Test.

Think I might get on with it and join the National Secular Society. Religion is pissing me off at the moment.

< Mail call | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
What the ... | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Of course there's landscape A4 by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 08:54:54 AM EST
some printers might work poorly if they feed regular A4 landscape, the paper grain would be wrong and it wouldn't bend right.

Not ours of course, I've fed hand cut posterboard through one of ours, and it worked fine. We'd also be able to print landscape and regular A4 without changing paper.

Can't you bike or take a bus to the train station, and then take a train? Get your whole complement of mass transportation there.

Bus? From here? by Herring (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:01:23 AM EST
Not a chance.

If I were to bother getting the bike out, then I'd be tempted to go the whole way to work. Except for the dual problems of nowhere to safely lock bike while at work and lack of proper shower facilities there. Now that there's some more daylight, I'd seriously consider this (for exercise) but for those factors plus laziness and extreme danger of cycling in Croydon. If I drive in, I'm lucky to average 14mph so equalling that on a bike wouldn't be much of a strain (after a couple of weeks anyway).

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Out of interest by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 02:09:42 AM EST
What's an "improper" show like?  Does it make you feel dirtier than when you got in?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
somebody by martingale (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 01:46:51 PM EST
ought to tell those "intelligent" people in biology class that nobody likes 'em.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
OMPI by martingale (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 01:48:14 PM EST
I am your God, you little ant-person.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
WIPO by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 02:44:40 PM EST
We're using the Church of Subgenius logo ("Bob"), but it's not included?

And what about all those satanists? I hear about them on Geraldo.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Teaching ID? by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:21:11 PM EST
I don't particularly mind if they teach it in a "And here's a totally bonkers idea with zero scientific merit, but they're making me tell you about it man I feel dirty" kind of way. Anything even vaguely resembling taking it seriously, though, should be confined to RE classes.

It's not a scientific theory, and so the only mention made of it in a science class should be as an example of how not to do things.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

That's exactly what's going to happen by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 02:09:00 AM EST
I know this because I did some research, instead of just blindly believing what I'd been told.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
ID: Kind of by Gully Foyle (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:29:31 PM EST
There's a bit in history of science about how the last few honest creationists (Paley, et al back in Darwin's day) were shown to be wrong. See here.

Passion for Churches by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:55:45 PM EST
I saw that once, it's not a bad programme.

Intelligent design - there's a big difference between government mooting an idea (you could argue they are obliged to at least think about it) and it actually being implimented. I'd be very, very surprised if it ended up on our curriculum. No reason to be complacent though.

How far is it to the train station? Could I suggest cycling? Could Mrs H drop you off?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

WIPO by TPD (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 12:31:42 AM EST
Marmite

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Infidel!!! by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 11:45:32 PM EST
Bow down before the one true god: PIE.

What the ... | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback