Print Story I know the rent is in arrears, the dog has not been fed in years
The B.A.D.TM

Getting dry humped by random dogs since 1972...

• I took the last train to clarksville oer the weekend to visit my sister and niece and nephew and whatnot. Firstly, let me just say that my little niece is just the most lovable little 8 year old on the planet, and secondly my little nephew went from a cool little 10 year old to this 11 year old monster. Crikey, I don't know how you parents do it cause I could never raise kids, unless they stayed 8 all the time. As a side note my sister, God bless her, has some right hot friends. Crikey.
  • I was at Okay Buy and went to purchase the Playboy Lesbian video but grabbed the Grateful Dead Truckin to Buffalo video by mistake. Well, I didn't notice it until I got home and decided to keep it, as it would surely give me the chance to make a close-up study of what smelly tree-hugging liberal hippies look like. Indeed, make a hippie case study of it if you will.

Firstly, Gerry looks, well, big and smelly. Seriously, you can almost smell him just by watching the video. Secondly, the audience screams and cheers at the start of each song (I swear they play the same song over and over) so it's obvious to me that they're so completely whacked out on magic mushrooms and pot that they don't even realise the band is simply replaying the same damn song. God damned stoners. Thirdly, Gerry needs to find the tone knob on his guitar and ROLL OFF THE DAMN TREBLE YOU BIG FAT DEAD HIPPIE for crikey sake. Jeepers, that twangy trebley tone grates on you after about 3 "songs."

But, that said, there are some positives too. Like the video. It's actually shot pretty well, they don't do the MTV 2 seconds per shot thing that many videos do, so you can actually watch the guys play their instruments. Secondly, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, but during the re-make of All Along the Watchtower Gerry plays a solo and may God strike me dead if I'm making this up, but it actually friggin cooks. I mean it really cooks. I was shocked, the cat really can play when he wants to. Anyways, a couple of the tunes are actually pretty good, and it's a great way to expose yourself to hippies in their natural environment so I give it an 8424/10000.

• I stopped at Wendy's on the drive home Sunday, cause for some reason I get a hankerin for crap fast food when travelling. I got me a single with cheese and crap and went to order a small fry with that but noticed they don't offer small as an option. You can get a medium, a "biggie" or a "super biggie"??????? WTF???? After telling the clerk at Okay Buy that I didn't want the extended warranty on a mini cd player because I have terminal brain cancer and don't expect to live for more than two months I didn't have the heart to do battle with another lackey so I just ordered the medium and went on my way.
  • Hammy the sammy for lunch today, along with a huge vat of small curd cottage cheese. That's it.
  • I was talking to one our our clients the other day, who happened to be a Latina chiX0R, and she's got this super sexy breathy kinda Latina voice and whatnot, and, well, god damn that's hot. Hot hot hot. But the thing is, you know that if you married her that after about 4 or 5 years the whole accent thing would just drive you crazy (it's probably not hot when she's nagging you to mow the lawn) and you'd just want to wap her with an iron frying pan to get her to shut up.
  • Can this be anything other than a cry for help? I mean, seriously, much like all serial killers leave little clues to enable The Man to catch them, I think Claude felt so much guilt about taking part in the heinous Bush cabinet that sub-consciencely he wants to go to prison and be arse raped by large sweaty men with tattoos and bad teeth.
  • I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a new PC but now I'm thinking I may have my Dad build one for me. He's retired and really into doing crap like that so he would be happy to spend a week researching the best prices for all the crap I want. It will be interesting to see if he can beat the Dell price, cause it was pretty darn good.
< 'Cos I'd rather be home | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I know the rent is in arrears, the dog has not been fed in years | 40 comments (40 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Your dad should be able to beat the dell price by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:04:02 AM EST
When I last purchases a Windows ompatible machine, (2001?) I used a white box vendor that beat Dell's price, used all name brand components and installed Linux on a second partition. I don't know if they still beat Dell. But if they can beat Dell and make a profit in recent memorty, then you're dad ought to be able to beat Dell if he's not interested in making a profit.

Cicero, The Republic
Um by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:14:37 AM EST
2001 is not recent memory for computer sales. It's somewhere more recent than the Jurassic but older than the French Revolution.

Beating Dell's price, today, with name-brand components, means coming in three dollars lower - if you don't count shipping. There just isn't a reasonable margin to squeeze into anymore.

My dad is a near genius by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:18:55 AM EST
If anyone can do it he can, but from my brief research it won't be an easy task.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Does your dad happen to be a Republican? by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:30:03 AM EST
If so, I think I might know how he can get the equipment at a really low price from local vendors.

If not, yeah, it's hard for an honest working stiff to beat Dell.

Cicero, The Republic
Heavens no! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:35:50 AM EST
I don't think he's officially signed up for one party or the other, but at this point in time he's way more left leaning than right.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

If you are going to go name brand by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:23:37 AM EST
Just close your eyes, get out your checkbook and buy a Mac.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I don't know if we should be encouraing Bob's by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #9 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:29:08 AM EST
metrosexual tendencies, plus there's all that bad blood about the cancelled two button mouse project.

Egads by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:33:22 AM EST
You pay 1/3 more for a slower machine that isn't upgradeable. I'd rather get a Dell and be un-cool.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

2001 isn't recent memory? by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:31:27 AM EST
Oh no! I'm going to have tell our IT staff that it's time to buy brand new kit for everyone.

Cicero, The Republic
It is 2006 by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:37:47 AM EST
Yes. It is indeed time to buy new workstations for everyone.

Why did you suppose computer hardware has its own 3-year depreciation schedule? Accountant jollies?

The last time I saw a company use 3 year schedules by lm (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 07:38:41 AM EST
Was when 3 years was the difference between a 486 and a Pentium II. The three year depreciation schedule for IT equipment is a relic of the distant past which, in the present, leads depreciation schedules to differ from actual hardware replacement schedules.

The Athlons, Durons, Pentium IIIs and Pentium IVs of 2001 have yet to be outclassed by the same order of magnitude by which a Pentium II outclasses a 486. Heck, most businesses are still on W2K. Upgrading will most likely force them to move to XP and they don't want that, at least not yet.

Cicero, The Republic
I'll tell our accountant that by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:47:12 AM EST
She will laugh. We use three-year schedules for servers and desktops. If it's three years old - out the door it goes, usually donated to an organization building schools in Africa.

And most large business are already on XP. More than half of the small business clients I support are as well. And the remainder aren't upgrading because they can't afford it, not because they don't want to.

As of Q1 2005, Windows 2000 was king by lm (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 10:05:05 AM EST
Use of Microsoft Windows XP has grown inside corporations, but a new study shows that nearly half of business PCs are still running the older Windows 2000.

I'll gladly grant that things may have change considerably in the past year, but unless I see a good explanation of why they would have changed, I remain doubtful.
But perhaps you have more recent numbers.

And, well, I'm sorry that your organization wastes so much money. I understand that it does happy at some places. The question, however, is does it happen at most places?

Cicero, The Republic
Yep by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #34 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 10:35:02 AM EST
Because W2K was the first MS OS that actually worked. Why would you upgrade if it works?

The US government had machines running DOS for years after the rest of the world moved to Windows for that same reason.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

If it ain't broke, don't fix it by lm (2.00 / 0) #36 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:16:56 AM EST
Except instead of governments and banks being the hold outs this time around, half the world is still using W2K.

Cicero, The Republic
Not to inject any facts into this conversation by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 10:24:09 AM EST
but a quick google will indicate that accounting best practices show that computer equipment should depreciate over 3 to 5 years. So if you are depreciating over 3 years you are being more aggressive than average (and by "aggressive", I mean "profligate").

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
i support servers by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #35 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:11:26 AM EST
that are 14 years old.  every day i pray they don't die on me, and will they pretty please hang on until August?

Large businesses on XP... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 05:25:28 AM EST
Heh. Tell that to some of the banks I support, who are still on NT 4.0.

i didnt want to by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #40 Thu Mar 16, 2006 at 06:41:59 AM EST
i want my 2k computer back. it worked, the xp one does not.
Send me to Austria!
That's where I got my last one too! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:15:56 AM EST
Back in 2000, so it's 6 years old already.

Anyways, they can't even come close. They're at $1700 with a generic soundcard and no monitor. Shame too as I like dealing with them.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Adendii by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:22:23 AM EST
The Dell came in at $1179 with a 19 inch flat panel monitor. That includes shipping.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Hey Bob, did you see me in the audience? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:07:09 AM EST
I had one of those wacky bowl/Moe haircuts that were big back then, and was wearing a tie dye. I was stage left, way up high above the 20 yard line for the visitors, if you considered Jerry in the home endzone.

It's not a bad show, though I prefer the one a year later, 7/16/90, with this smokin' second set bit Truckin' > Jam > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Gimme Some Lovin' >

Oh yeah, space was insane, and Brent's first notes of Gimme Some Lovin' off the B-3 were awesome! Brent was more of the star that set, and he would be OD'ed in a few months.

I wouldn't call 7/4/89 one of their very best (truth  be told I don't know if any of their post 1978 shows could be called that) but it was good, and it was in their last few good years before Jerry's opiate habit got to him.

Now that Jer's been dead for over 10 years, it's okay to start appreciating his guitar technique, he could really play, though the irony is his best known playing was on steel guitar for CSN, which he quit playing because it messed up his regular axe playing.

Speaking of great axemen trucking along, are you going to check out Heart of Gold?

Bowl cut with a tie die?? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:29:22 AM EST
I think that pretty much fits 95% of the crowd, but I'll look for you the next time I watch it.

I didn't know the keyboard guy was dead too. I was going to comment on what a terrific player I thought he was. Damn, that's sad, he had a picture of his kids (I assume they were his) stuck on the keyboard. It's rather odd to watch him though cause it looks like he's having an epileptic fit, but he really rattles those keys.

I don't know anything about the dead shows, but you can tell they played quite a bit as they were tight. Oh yeah, I didn't know they did the two drummer thing either. Those guys were good too.

I know not of this Heart of Gold that you speak of.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Spinal tap stole the idea of the hot seat by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:38:08 AM EST
you know, the position in the band where the person always dies, from the Dead. The keyboard players for the Dead tended to die young.

Pigpen died in the early 70's of liver failure, he banged on the B3.

Keith Godchaux died in a car accident in 1980.

Brent OD'ed in 1990, ten days after I saw him. The painful thing there is that he played keyboards with the Dead for the longest time, but he never felt accepted, and always felt he was the unappreciated new guy.

Bruce Hornsby and Vince Welnick are still alive, but they've got to be feeling nervous.

They did the two drummer thing for nearly all their career, save for a few years in the mid 70's, as one drummer felt bad that his dad embezzled lots of money from the Dead and he left. Two drummers can be sloppy, but with enough hours of practice you can get tight. I think the Allmann's use two drummers, too.

Heart of Gold is the new Neil Young concert movie, I reviewed it in my latest diary. He plays in the fabled Ryman theatre in Nashville, using Hank's guitar, the first half is his new album, the second half is greatest hits, and it rocks. Truly an American icon.

Doobie Brothers too by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:53:54 AM EST
They do the two drummer thing also. Yeah, they have to really be in sync with each other for it to work. It's actually kind of neat to watch them, almost like watching synchronised swimming.

I dig Neil when he's rocking but have no desire to see anything from the new album. I've actually seen him live three times with Crazy Horse, he's one of my favourite live acts. They turn it up to 11 and have at it, none of that sissy boy light show crap. My ears were ringing for three days after the last time I saw him, loudest show I think I've been to.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I'm not into drug bands like the Doobies by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:58:23 AM EST
I'd love to see Neil live, but the odds of him showing up in Rochester are slim.

Heart of Gold was acoustic, even the broom was an analog one. Well, the bass was electric, as was the organ, but Neil just played Hank's acoustic. Demme can sure make a great concert film  (cf. Stop Making Sense).

Hornsby by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 07:16:00 AM EST
hah. He lives 2 miles (as the crow flies) from my houe. Whack. Didn't know he had dead connections, just knew he was a musician.

He played with them about 100 times by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 07:22:38 AM EST
so did Hall and Oates, IIRC.

In re: fry sizes by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 06:14:49 AM EST
Have you ever noticed the difference between how black guys and white guys walk?

I think castigating Claude for shoplifting is a little harsh--it's really the logical, personalized extension of his foreign policy advice. ZING!

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

no small by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 07:20:26 AM EST
Didn't you notive, McD's got rid of the small fry size a long time ago.. Now you only get it in kids meals and what not. (the small paper one). Didn't you say you saw Supersize Me ?

Dead.. Yeah, umm.. yeah..

So do you know this latina woman, or just talked to her on the phone ? Getting that 'kids are cute' bug is the first step towards fatherhood.. Granted, a steady ladyfriend is also a first step towards it..

RE's by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 07:53:07 AM EST
  1. I haven't been to McDonald's in prolly 7 or 8 years.
  2. No, I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list.
  3. Groovy!
  4. She's in CA. Never met her. She's got the sexiest damn voice I think I've ever heard though, which likely means she has a butt the size of Montana. Seems to work that way.
  5. No, I've always dug my little niece but have no desire to sire my own.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Siring a niece is illegal in most states (nt) by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 3) #25 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:13:09 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Notice by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:58:51 AM EST
McDoodles will allow adults to order kids meals. Also, in teh kids meals you can get apple slices instead of fries, and milk instead of soda. Still not healthy, but marginally better than fries and soda.

and Lego! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 10:16:50 AM EST
back in 2000, MD's was giving away Lego in thier kids meals. I felt a bit more flush then, so once or twice a week I'd get a Happy Meal or two.

Um Bob... by dr k (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:00:02 AM EST
In today's pedophile-unfriendly environment, it is probably best to avoid phrases like "lovable little 8 year old".

:| :| :| :| :|

Bro by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:26:04 AM EST
She's my niece. I mean, my little 8 year old niece. If someone wants to put a sexual connotation with that then I'm pretty sure that's on them.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

unless they're by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 09:57:03 AM EST
a republican. then whatever they say about you is true, regardless of whether it's true or not.

Go with Dad by duxup (4.00 / 2) #32 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 10:23:24 AM EST
Bonding with Dell is not fun.  They never call back.
____
Upgrades ... by Improbus (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:40:46 AM EST
Last year here at $large_warehousing_concern we upgraded everyone from Pentium machines to Pentium IV machines.  My goodness, some people where actually using 486s.  I suspect that we will upgrade again some time around 2010.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
the cat really can play by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 03:32:59 AM EST
Not anymore he can't.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)