Print Story No matter where you are...
By Alice Pulley (Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:01:53 AM EST) (all tags)
...I can still hear you when you drown.

Hee hee hee - I make myself laugh!

So whats going on?

On the booze front, I have not been perfect but I have been better. I know this isn't good enough, but am going to keep trying. That's all I can do, keep trying.

On the more amusing news front I have (DA DAAAAHHH!) met a new girl. She is without doubt the best looking girl I have ever met, absolutely beautiful. I know her through work but would never have considered approaching her - shes too young, too pretty, out of my league. However, upon mentioning to a mutual friend how lovely I thought she was, the mutual friend shocked me by replying - 'she likes you too, you know'.

I was extremely surprised but decided to test the waters and invited said lady and a couple of her friends along to some drinks after work on Friday (I know, I know). I was relatively good, managed to only have a few bottles of beer (I know, I know) and ended up sitting next to the lady in question at the end of the evening, having a really good chat and a laugh.

The next morning I woke up next to her. Oops. She'd come back to mine with a couple of other people and without anything happening, we'd ended up sitting up till about 4am at which point, we'd stumbled into the spare bedroom, crawled under a blanket and slept. When we woke up, at about 11, she immediately looked mortfied and yes, you've guessed it: shes got a boyfriend. She really likes me, is unhappy with him but they've just bought a place together. I immediately stated that I didn't want to be the guy that splits someone up (even though secretly in my head I was thinking exactly that) and we parted company, with a very strange feeling in the air.

I really like her and am old enough to know its not always so straightforward as meeting someone you like when you are both single. But, I really don't want to be a snidey bastard and therefore won't see her again unless she's single which probably means she will stay with him.

I don't know how I keep managing to pull it out of the bag, I really don't. I'm special.

< Soak him in oil till he sprouts a flipper | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
No matter where you are... | 53 comments (53 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hmmm by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:18:03 AM EST
They live together, and she was out all night with no comeback?

I think there was some comeback.... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:19:58 AM EST
...that I wasn't privvy to. She didn't look overjoyed at the prospect of getting home in the morning.

Alice was too much of a gentleman by TPD (4.00 / 3) #3 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:20:28 AM EST
to mention the comeback!

(sorry)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

You've already gone part of the way by jump the ladder (4.00 / 4) #4 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:20:58 AM EST
to split them up anyway as she was very obviously trying you out as an alternative. If she wasn't interested then she wouldn't have gone out nor spent the night with you.

I'd keep your options open but ultimately it's up to her. Stay in contact but keep an eye out for an easier situation.

Yeah, am going to play it cool (ish)... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:23:18 AM EST
...I really don't agree with deliberately trying to split people up but I definitely think she isn't happy for exactly the reasons you have mentioned. Will try to stay friends and see what happens.

When will something straightforward happen to me?

The trouble is by jump the ladder (4.00 / 6) #6 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:26:32 AM EST
Highly desirable women tend to have boyfriends. Or there's some complication to why they haven't (eg: totally nuts, a lap dancer etc)

Good point. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:27:07 AM EST

Isn't there some never trust a traitor rule? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #52 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:56:38 AM EST
It'd be good to know why what's happening to this bloke she's currently dating won't happen to you when she dumps him for you.

I know, I know. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #53 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 05:45:49 AM EST
But life isn't always that straightforward and its pretty easy to judge when you don't know someone. If anything does happen with her, then I just have to believe she wants to be with me and trust her the same way I trust everyone else I care about not to hurt me. I have a feeling this all may be a moot point though.

Just bought a place by nebbish (4.00 / 8) #8 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:29:30 AM EST
With someone you don't want to be with - it's amazing how often that happens, I think it's a way for the person who is about to be dumped to hold onto their partner without committing to marriage.

Fuck it mate, split them up, all's fair in love and war.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

IAWTnebbish by Breaker (4.00 / 6) #9 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:39:15 AM EST
Although, if you do end up with her, you'll constantly be paranoid everytime she's 20 minutes late home, thinking she's off with some other bloke.

In an ideal world, by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #12 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:58:09 AM EST
You'd be able to tell her she had to split up with the boyfriend before the two of you got together.

Back in reality, I believe some of the USian studmuffins are happy homebreakers, so why not take tips and reassurance from them?

I love you! by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 7) #14 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:21:15 AM EST
I was waiting for someone to say that!!!

Am off to invite her to move in with me!

Put her on the mortgage! by ambrosen (4.00 / 5) #17 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:25:33 AM EST
Take it easy, and don't forget you already told nebbish you love him.

Play it carefully, but go ahead. That's my sage advice.

It's not as if you know him by nebbish (4.00 / 4) #18 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:27:17 AM EST
I would never think of doing it to a friend, but someone you don't know? I can't even see a dilemma to be honest.

Except maybe getting your head kicked in by him.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

He might thank him by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 4) #28 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:57:09 AM EST
Some blokes would be glad to see the back of the money grabbing whores that drain their very soul.

Hey! by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 2) #29 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:58:24 AM EST
Uncalled for, I know she isn't perhaps cast in the best light here but I certainly don't think thats fair comment.

I thinmk there was dry, self-depreciating sarcasm by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #32 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:18:56 AM EST
at play there. I hope there was dry, self-depreciating sarcasm at play there.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Or possibly a thinly veiled by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #43 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:55:56 AM EST

UTBNB joke...

I love it when you talk chirpy. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #31 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:59:10 AM EST

IAWTP. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #15 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:21:36 AM EST
Nearly happened to me.

Luckily my family slapped me upside the head to stop it.

Scary by nebbish (4.00 / 3) #19 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:28:09 AM EST
Bet you're glad you listened!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Up to a point. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:35:51 AM EST
It was Urban Splash's first development in Manchester, so it would have been well worth it from a financial point of view, and a very nice place to live.

The woman I was with however, yes.

Ew!! Yes!

Wondered where WPKAW got to Friday night by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 2) #20 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:28:10 AM EST

Oh right, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:32:06 AM EST
I was thinking it was PEF.

You can only split them up by Cloaked User (4.00 / 6) #10 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:42:27 AM EST
If she wants them to be split up, in which case it's most likely going to happen sooner or later. That leaves the only real question as whether or not it's going to be you that she leaves him for.

Or, look at it this way. You remain the perfect gentleman, the upshot of which is that he's happy, she's unhappy, and you're unhappy. Or you "steal her away from him", in which case you're happy, she's happy, and he's unhappy. If you look at it purely from a profit and loss perspective, the choice is even clearer!

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

The reasons for your receptionist woes by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #30 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:59:05 AM EST

are so much clearer to me now.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Why is that by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #37 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:37:01 AM EST
If he followed his own advice, he'd be having towel ripping frolics with CR regularly instead of putting someone on the mortgage who wants to run off to Spain without him

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Excellent story. by ambrosen (4.00 / 4) #11 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:44:20 AM EST
Any time now, there'll be a plane crash on your house, and then you'll know you're in a soap opera.

Bad luck and whatnot. Doing the right thing sucks sometimes, I guess. Maybe if you ask Dr T nicely, he'll go up and split them up for you, then you can pick her up on the rebound.

"And then one thing led to another..." by Rogerborg (4.00 / 6) #13 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:14:59 AM EST
Dear Deirdre replies:

She's a slut who concealed the existence of her boyfriend, and you're a cuckhold and a reflexive liar.  Neither of you will ever get, or deserve, anyone better, and so you should put her on the mortgage immediately.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Thank you papa. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:23:35 AM EST
Your approval means so much!

I think my approval is irrelevant by Rogerborg (4.00 / 4) #22 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:32:21 AM EST
I'm sure that your new Drama Queen has your bit part in her emo-play thoroughly fleshed out by now, and I very much doubt that she'll want to switch to an understudy at this point.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I just can't win... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 4) #27 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:54:25 AM EST
...I lurch from one idiotic situation to another, purely for your amusement and with no regard for myself - and yet all you can do is criticise!

I've got a good mind to go all sensible on you. Then I'd probably be able to sleep at night.

No criticism is intended by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #36 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:36:32 AM EST
I'd just appreciate if you posted a teaser half an hour ahead of the main diary to remind me to bring popcorn to these ritual Monday humiliations.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Request noted. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #38 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:39:07 AM EST
I suspect this latest escapade is going to go tits up even sooner than normal judging by a couple of unpromising looking emails. Enjoy!

Please keep us informed by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #42 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:52:22 AM EST
plspostkthx

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I look forward to all future developments by yicky yacky (4.00 / 4) #24 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:38:41 AM EST

being brazenly plastered over The Hole for months to come.

[I really didn't mean that to sound quite as filthy as it does, but there ya go ...]

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Just ask yourself by anonimouse (4.00 / 3) #25 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:46:06 AM EST
What would anonimouse do?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
See if she's got a younger, teenage sister? by jump the ladder (4.00 / 13) #26 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:52:53 AM EST
NT

teenage? by TPD (4.00 / 1) #35 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:27:31 AM EST

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
I think he got mixed up... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #45 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:15:14 AM EST
between anonimouse and gazbo...

Yeah. by ambrosen (4.00 / 4) #47 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:30:48 AM EST
Musicgirl's tantrums were more on the toddler level.

You totally didn't let her touch your wiener! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 7) #33 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:20:33 AM EST

Don't be so selfish, dude, girls love touching wieners!Share a little bit! Maybe her boyfriend will end up getting hit by a bus later today. Anything can happen.

In fairness... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 3) #34 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:22:33 AM EST
...maybe she was just after some bedroom fun. If so, my habit of wanting to get to know people before sleeping with them possibly has put her off.

That's possible by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 3) #41 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:51:34 AM EST

The desire to get to know people before sleeping with them is never good. That's why baby Jebus invented CONDOMINIUMS!

In all seriousness, how devoted to her boyfriend is she, when she has apparently let *someone* know she was interested in you, then stayed up til the wee hours with you before crashing under the same blanket. I know if I was the boyfriend, I'd be having HR type up a pink slip for her *right now*.

Then again, is someone who would treat her current boyfriend like that someone you'd really consider a relationship with? Ultimately, she'll likely continue to treat SOs like that indefinitely, though, granted, people can actually change, given proper circumstances.

I think what I'm trying to say here is you don't have to marry the woman to LET HER TOUCH YOUR WIENER! Waggy knows this is true. Check with him.

I know... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 3) #46 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:26:26 AM EST
...I would also not be impressed were I her SO, but in fairness, lifes not always that straightforward and meeting someone you like can happen when you are already with someone. I can't expect her to completely upend her life on the basis of one evening though, so maybe being friends for a while will at least show some commitment on my part.

On the other hand you could be absolutely right, she may just have fancied some hot AP action and I have blown my opportunity with the finest looking woman this side of Christendom.

Either way, I end up with another dose of regrets. FUCKING GREAT.

Furious Masturbation by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #48 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:31:16 AM EST

It will cure all that ails ye. That, and making sure you LET THE WOMAN TOUCH YOUR WIENER NEXT TIME YOU SEE HER.

OT: Appendage nomenclature by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #49 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:41:09 AM EST

Does anyone else think that 'wiener' is a pretty limp and emasculating term for it, or is it just me?

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
It's Ironic(al) by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #50 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:42:52 AM EST

The word's limpness and emasculatory tone are definitely intentional.

Exactly. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #51 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:49:33 AM EST

As with 'tinkle', or 'pee-pee' (names I heard, with aghast, members of the extended family teaching their children), it sounds like something a feminist would have come up with in order to put it back in its box (NPI). That's no way to raise a nation of warriors.

"Political Correctness 101: Welcome ..."

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Under a blanket! by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #39 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:40:51 AM EST
In the spare bedroom!

Were your red satin sheets being washed at the time?

I think we must have fallen asleep... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #40 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:48:03 AM EST
...in the living room and then staggered into the nearest bed upon waking, which is the spare room (I do this quite a lot when I fall asleep on the sofa). Annoyingly, I think we kissed for a while, but as usual with me when half asleep, I don't really remember it.

Which is a bit like winning the lottery and giving all the money away.

-1; NO WIENER TOUCHING by ammoniacal (4.00 / 5) #44 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:57:14 AM EST

No matter where you are... | 53 comments (53 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback