Print Story W00t
Working life
By Rogerborg (Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:06:19 AM EST) (all tags)
Got a job offer

From a games embedded apps company in Brighton the unit about two minutes up the road no less.  Which means I'd get to work on more interesting toys (eyetoy or PS3) two minutes earlier.

Now all I have to do is find out how to quit play off these over-funded under-managed bumblers against the current lot of over-funded under-managed bumblers .  I've not frequently been in the position where I leave voluntarily before . What is the correct ettiquette here? and it's important to factor in the satisfaction value of telling the current lot of over-funded under-managed bumblers that, their beliefs to the contrary, paying industry average does not help to retain the best staff.

< W00t | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
W00t | 38 comments (38 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Well, by blixco (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:07:47 AM EST
in my case?  Once word got out that I took a pay cut to work for current company, that sort of deflated a lot of shirts.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
I'm sure it did by Rogerborg (4.00 / 5) #3 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:17:53 AM EST
Why, I wouldn't be surprised if those high paid guys couldn't get it up that night, no matter how much caviare or cocaine they licked off of their mistress's tits.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Not the high-up guys. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:23:56 AM EST
They aren't aware, even peripherally, of anyone below them.  The near-level management (not mid-level, since even those guys are encased in platinum cages surrounded by armed simians) were very...put off by my "I took a pay cut!" stuff because it made them look bad and it made for talking-point fuel for disgruntled (and fully gruntled) employees.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
I think you need to take a day fishing by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #2 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:10:07 AM EST
and then clean your fish at your desk.

Congrats and all that.

LET THEM TOUCH YOUR WIENER! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:23:03 AM EST

The work-wiener, not the home-wiener, of course.

simple by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:30:33 AM EST
Leave the broken remnants of the broom on your desk.  Then blow up the pictures of 'the wound' up to...hmm....2x4 meter posters in, and tile the ceiling with them with nothing else, save the word 'you' written on them in big white letters.

----

Let's be more diabolical by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #7 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:41:32 AM EST
print out 10,000 copies of the want ad that garnered  Mr. borg's interest, simplex.

Turn over and refill every printer and copier's paper trays. Voila!

The end is nigh. by ambrosen (4.00 / 5) #8 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 06:42:58 AM EST
Rogerborg gets a new job.

What next, Cloaked User and Cute Receptionist go off into the sunset with a new job for him on the horizon, MillMan gets a job making windmills in Ireland, redhead heaven, Blixco's back sorts itself out, and Alice Pulley gets back together with... oh, never mind, we can't expect too much.

A new job OFFER by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:31:02 AM EST
I've still got plenty of scope for pulling a Cloaked User over it.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Wrapped in a towel, is it? by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #17 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:02:31 AM EST

Glistening and wriggling by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:10:18 AM EST
But what if... it feels too good?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
You made me think of the other sense by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:26:20 AM EST
Of job.

Which reminded me of another sign of the HuSi times: MNS gets constipated.

Hey! by squigs (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:09:29 AM EST
You takin the piss?

Hope you get a lot of pleasure from those exra two minutes a day.

Not at all by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:33:01 AM EST
Why do you think my response to your query was so explicit?  I just cribbed from my own Master Plan.  I think you beat me to it by a couple of hours.

In that case... by squigs (4.00 / 1) #33 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 12:52:20 AM EST
I suggest doing what a manager did...  Ask some really awkward questions of a PR slimeball in a public.  He was escorted out by security and effectively given a month's paid leave.

Okay, that wasn't his plan, and he was a little itrritated since his comments were perfectly reasonable, but he was pragmatic about it.

games industry eh? by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:15:24 AM EST
Look what weirdness your gettin yourself (back) into.

'grats'

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

The games industry reminds me of by calla (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:31:01 AM EST
'borgey's wizards and hobbits hobby.

I think he'll do just fine.

You'd think by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:34:47 AM EST
I'm an ex-games developer.  A survivor, if you will.  Farmgirl is surviving games developer widow.  I'm not going back there.  You can't make me go back to the madness.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
So we misunderstood what you'll be doing by calla (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:03:41 AM EST
for potentially less crappy employer.

It's not wizards and hobbits?

It's pretty much exactly what I'm doing now by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:12:15 AM EST
Blogging, writing spankfic, occasionally writing a design that nobody reads.

I think I'll re-dub them "Not As Crap Yet Corp".  They seem spookily like this place was 4 years ago.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

I knew my art degree was worthless. by calla (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:21:11 AM EST
I want credentials to get a job like yours!!!

s/writing/dithering about/g by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:37:56 AM EST
where is our long promised Allyson Hannigan Sarah Jane Honeywell spankfic!

dare I ask what game(s) ? {nt} by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #24 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:23:27 AM EST

Nothing that ever got published by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 12:58:32 PM EST
It wasn't a very productive experience.  We did, however, get an audio capture of the Enterprise computer saying "Oh, shit," which was practically worth the price of admission.

ah by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #30 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:52:01 PM EST
I was thinking Postal, or maybe Battlecruiser 3000AD.

More like Mechwarrior 3000AD by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #32 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 11:17:29 PM EST
That being the expected release date based on the number of bugs we kept generating.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
That's squigs you're thinking of by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:32:08 AM EST
I, like Gizmondo, want nothing to do with the games business.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
"does not help to retain the best staff" by Idempotent (2.50 / 2) #16 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:48:47 AM EST
So, what retains people like you?

Free Friday Curry by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:13:00 AM EST
And, dude, share options any day now.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Well it's worked for quite a while now. by Idempotent (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 08:19:38 AM EST
So tell me, what caused you to seek an alternative source of curry rejected by the higher-ups?

As it turns out by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 01:02:33 PM EST
There really is a threshold where the number of incompetents and nepotists in management flips from tasteless to sickening.  It was putting me right off my Free Friday Curry.

But! But! by Idempotent (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:46:12 PM EST
What on earth are you going to use as your source of inspiration for your writing on this site?

Top work, lad. by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #27 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 12:49:27 PM EST
Always remember, stick an extra 10K on your salary each job.

like so by 606 (4.00 / 2) #34 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 05:40:17 AM EST
Stand up by your cubicle and shout "Can I have your attention, please?" When everyone gathers around point at them one at a time: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you... I'm out!!"

-----
imagine dancing banana here
That has an elegant and compelling simplicity by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #35 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 08:00:09 AM EST
I'll bank that in the playbook.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
You, Sir, Have A Certain Flair. by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 2) #36 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:23:24 AM EST
I will employ you as my campaign manager when I quit or am fired from my present position.

Can we have rude placards made up?

let's not get too excited now by 606 (4.00 / 1) #37 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:52:23 AM EST
I'm pretty sure I stole the idea from a movie. Which one, I cannot recall.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Beware The DMCA by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #38 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:56:02 AM EST
W00t | 38 comments (38 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback