Print Story I will not be oppressed by your fascist need for a title.
Misc.
By NoMoreNicksLeft (Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:59:58 AM EST) dollar store, walmart, phone, root beer, math, svg (all tags)
Many boring things lie within. You have been warned.

This is one of those rare weekends where I was forced to leave the apartment by circumstances.

I've not been drinking Mt. Dew in months now, but almost as bad, I've taken to liking bottled IBC root beer. This has to end, as I grabbed the last case and the few loose bottles from the local Dollar Tree store. I also bought a second spatula there. I already have a spatula, but having only one almost guarantees that I need to do dishes every single time I cook, and since I eat far more often than I feel like doing dishes, this was unacceptable.

Strategically, between eating out of cans, and having two spatulas, I can pretty much wait until the forces of nature erode through any caked-on-grime. Well, as soon as I buy a second skillet.

Then, it was off to Walmart. It seems that my telephone company was only half at fault. My old green corded handset would not ring. Of course, this is in contrast to them taking from Dec. 27th 2005 til Feb 17th 2006 to turn it on at all. But that "it doesn't ring when people call" thing, my fault.

Anyway, I was there at the local assimilation unit Two Nine Three Alpha, where I was able to avoid the drones with ease. That thing about them only assimilating entire cultures, entire planets... that might be a bit of hyperbole, but as an individual I seemed safe.

As Walmarts go, this one is strange. It closes at 10pm. I did not know they did that, I mean, that they closed, except every 11 years on May 1st to celebrate the day Sam Walton sold his immortal soul to Astaroth.

Somehow, I managed to find the phone section. It did no good to ask, no one understands the concept of a non-cellular phone. More astounding was that there are no such things as corded phones anymore, I suspect kickbacks and payola from the battery industry. I take that back, there was -one- model, which may have been intended for senior citizens. Either that, or the incredibly obese, who need their dialpad buttons to be wider than 4 inches each else they're forced to use any makeshift stylus.

I chose Fisher Price's My First Phone. Oops, I mean it's actually made by Uniden. They make many different models of cordless phones, all of which share as a common feature the complete and total lack of any indication as to what frequency they use. After 15 or 20 minutes carefully reading each of the 6 sides of the box, I finally decided that Uniden had opted to avoid all the 900Mhz/2.4Ghz/5.2Ghz mess, and developed an entirely new wireless technology that relies on magic faeries. They no doubt flutter invisibly from handset to basestation on wings of gossamer and miracles, effortlessly imitating the voices of both parties.

In the end, I bought the cheapest phone, so who gives a flying fuck? If it is 2.4Ghz, I'll just set it to the channel the neighbor's wifi is using... let his internet connection drop in the unlikely event anyone finds reason to speak with me on the phone.

Thus ended my public adventures.

Somehow, I've ended up in a corner of Baltimore where there is only a Burger King and  Mcdonald's nearby. I chose Burger King this time. Ended up behind some old lady paying in pennies. As the first phoneme of my order has left my lips, she says "oh, I only wanted the sandwhich, does this come with a drink?". Agh. I order, wait the mandatory 39 minutes for them to slap together something that resembles neither sandwhich nor even edible food, and rush home with it.

But alas, it's nearly 70°F out. At any temperature above about 45°F, my laptop overheats. Constantly. Last night was not a night to attempt to compile a new version of Wine (0.9.9). After many reboots, many deletions of an empty object file, I had a newer Wine.

Iesetup6.exe still would not run. An infinite number of grumblings and cursings later, and perhaps a dark prayer or two to the elder gods, I stumbled upon this page. It seemed to work, and now I have IE6 running on a linux computer. I keep wanting to go to addons.mozilla.org/themes, but alas, the ugliness is permanent.

My computer feels unclean, and no matter how much I scrub it while crying to myself, it still feels dirty. Is there a crisis hotline for this?

Also, my inverse kinematics SVG demo has had a slight upgrade. So that someone doesn't accidentally mistake me for being far more clever than I really am, here is the site where I found out how to do it. Mind you, they're doing it in Flash, but it seems Flash's actionscript is pretty much valid ECMAscript/javascript. Kickass.

Still, how the hell do you do this in 3d? In 3d, any particular angle is 360°180° is it not? Do I need to do two arctangents? Is order important? These number thingys, they make no sense.

< Weekend stuff | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I will not be oppressed by your fascist need for a title. | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Thought you might like to know... by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:47:51 AM EST
I upgraded to firefox 1.5.0.1 on the iBook, and now I can see your demos. Pretty cool.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Thanks. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 09:55:46 AM EST
These are just the demos, the actual applets should really kick ass. (And I'll be providing safe-for-work variants of all of them).
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Crappy thermal contact? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 04:46:37 AM EST
I had my laptop (with a P4 desktop processor) in bits recently, only to discover that the heat sink was bonded to the CPU with frag tape, which isn't great at thermal transfer (also: how do you get the CPU back in its socket if the heat sink covers the ZIF lever?).  Some lemon juice and silver paste sorted that out.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
No, it's a freakin' Toshiba Satellite... by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:00:42 AM EST
After I'd had it a few months, I started stumbling across blogs and articles galore about their notorious overheating problems. There's a reason you don't use 3Ghz Pentium4's in laptops, but no one ever told a Toshiba engineer that.

Plus, I got sick and tired of udev limiting me to 4 xterms, and none of the cpufreq stuff seems to work with anything but udev (or even with it, near as I can tell). CPU throttling seemed to help quite a bit, but I'm not sure why unless the halt instruction actually uses less juice and generates less heat.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Is there maybe a REASON they overheat? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:37:27 AM EST
How far have you got?
  1. Blow out the dust with compressed air (without stripping it down).
  2. Strip it down and clean the dust out of the heat sink fans.
  3. Take the heatsink off the CPU and replace the factory fitted pad / tape / compound with some decent paste.
If you need any advice on stripping down a laptop, blixco could probably help.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I've done my fair share of laptops. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:40:26 AM EST
I think my count for iBooks is close to 3000. Though most other makes I'm only up into the dozens.

I've not taken it apart yet, though I have done the compressed air thing to the fans on the bottom.

Maybe I oughtta consider it here before summer arrives.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Now I know you're bullshitting me by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:41:33 AM EST
Apple never sold 3000 iBooks.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
24,000... by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 2) #10 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:48:51 AM EST
To Henrico County Public School.

My best time for a motherboard replacement, start to finish, is 10m53s. Compare that to all the rest of my coworkers, who couldn't do it in less than an hour, and not without pinching the damn fan cable and shorting out the new one also. Maybe that's why they paid them $1 more an hour than me.

Before we were actually doing repairs though, I was on the project where we upgraded the ram in all of them. Most people were able to do 70 a day, tops, I think I did 300+ most days. Screwdriver in each hand, working independently on two different iBooks (for those that don't know, there would only be 2 screws to do this, in the ram shield underneath the kb/wireless card). When the project manager was touring the stupid school officials around, and they walked past my workstation, boy was that fun. Ten people in suits staring at you like you're a circus freak, then their heads swiveling back in unison to another coworker to watch him, then back to me. Finally with the project manager saying something like "well, he must be ambidextrous, and hurrying them all along to the next part of the tour". How'd you pull that 4-syllable word out of your ass, bitch?

I should have known better, though. No one is ever rewarded for good work done quickly.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

I'm aroused by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 11:39:59 AM EST
Quick, make your move.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Sorry, you're not my type. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 11:49:24 AM EST
Willie the school groundskeeper lookalikes are hot, but the whole helmet thing is a turnoff.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
You'll never believe this. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 03:19:45 PM EST
Not only did I manage to take it apart without breaking off any plastic tabs, but there were only two leftover screws.

More importantly, the radiator (I know not what else to call it, this thing is every bit as big as the one in my car, and my car only has one electric fan attached to its own) looked like a lint trap. The Toshiba gnomes have no doubt been drying their underwear in my laptop this past year, and never bothered to clean it out afterward.

Freaky.

So I turn it back on, and the fans don't rattle, not even when they do come on. I'm still not convinced I reassembled it correctly, and that the fans are in fact disconnected. It's either worked better than I could have hoped for, or it's only moments away from melting down through bedrock until it hits a pocket of water which will release a huge cloud of radioactive steam. Either way I'm happy, when do you ever get to see fireworks like that up close and personal?
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

The good news is that we're not stuck leasing ... by lm (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 05:02:32 AM EST
... phones from Ma Bell anymore.

The bad news is that phones no longer last forty or fifty years before falling apart.

I'd be willing to pay $100 or $150 for a simple Ma Bell classic built like a tank with no features that actually delivers a clear signal and has a ring that I can hear anywhere in the house.

Cicero, The Republic
I have such a phone by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 11:44:48 AM EST
I used to lease it from AT&T. They're not quite indestructible, but nearly so. Another phone much like it lived in my dorm room in college. We knocked it off the dresser once, picked up the receiver, got dial tone, thought all was well. But no. After getting no incoming calls for like a month, we opened it up and discovered the spring that operates the bell was wrapped around something it shouldn't have been. Again, simple fix, once we knew what to look for.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Unfortunately by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:30:06 PM EST
I was too young and unfarsighted enough to rescue the ol AT&T phones when my mother sold my child hood home when I was 14.

Maybe, should I ever get around to it, I can find on one auction or some such thing.

Cicero, The Republic
Baltimore? I feel sorry for you by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 05:04:30 AM EST
that's nearly as bad as living in Delaware.  :-P
All my Walmarts in Jersey by calla (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 08:25:46 PM EST
closed at 10:00.

It's horrible. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #16 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:33:35 PM EST
Who in their right mind wants to go inside a walmart before 2am, or after 5am?
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
I never knew any better by calla (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:40:55 PM EST
until I moved to WA.

All night Walmarting still seems bizarre to me. In fact all the fast food, grocery stores, and other shopping available all night here is strange to me.

But I can see your point about shopping at Walmart during regular hours - who wants to shop with all the trailer park trash?

Typing error. by Idempotent (1.00 / 1) #18 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 10:48:26 AM EST
You missed the word "other" from your last sentence.