Print Story ...
By coryking (Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 12:34:56 PM EST) killfile, your mom, dr phil, fatty fat fat (all tags)
PLONK  Welcome to my killfile, motherfucker.

A certian user on certian photography website has led me to consider implementing a killfile for my userbase.  I plan to get to work on monday writing it into the codebase.  I'll be curious to see how it pans out in the long run.  What will Mr/Mrs. User do when half of their audiance has all their stories, comments and images hidden?  Only time will tell.  Only time will tell...

But seriously.  What else is new?  As one of the editors pointed out, it is amazing the site has grown to it's current size and NOT had more personality conflicts.

I've started working on Artzaar this week.  After much consideration I've decided to do it using Ruby on Rails.  I've got image uploads, users and stories very crudely implemented.  It's a good start but I suspect there will be about a month or two before I have a version 1 product out the door.

Artzaar, version 1.0, will let you host your weblog & photo album using your own domain.  The system will allow you to sell your photography through your website.  We will charge your customer and drop ship the high quality, framed photo to your customer from our printer.  You just sit back, refresh your stats every five minutes, and get a check at the end of every month.  No fuss, no certs, merchant accounts, paypal, HTML or anything.  Push the big red button.  Done.  You have a website and you are selling your art.

There is an interesting discussion on the BoS forums about weird MicroISV stories.  It is funny because I have gone through a lot of socks lately.

Anyway... off to diner & movie with the lady.  Cheers!

< I canna change the laws o' economics | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
... | 48 comments (48 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That takes me back by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 12:45:46 PM EST
Whatever did happen to MC Hammer?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Too legit to quit! by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:16:56 PM EST

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
+1, includes killfile by lm (4.00 / 3) #2 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:26:10 PM EST
IMO, a killfile is the #1 feature missing from scoop.

Cicero, The Republic
*PLONK* by coryking (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:28:08 PM EST
I used to be against the notion of killfiles, only for the invevitable PLONK posts when person A killfiles person B.

Now I dont care.  It's cost / benifit and the benifits of a killfile outweight the occasional PLONK posts.  Plus I got editors who will just hide those comments anyway.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Yeah, the *PLONK* is kind of irritating by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:31:27 PM EST
But, IMO, it is the lesser of evils.

Cicero, The Republic
Kickass! by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:17:41 PM EST
Now it will be even lonelier here for me. I might as well head back to k5.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Why would anyone killfile /you/? [nt] by lm (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:27:38 PM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Don't mind him. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:52:05 PM EST
He's just bitter because he can't write about bike riding, guitar playing or children but he gets surprised when people aren't interested in exactly the same stuff he is.

He's also so vain he probably thinks this comment's about him.

Actually. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:57:21 PM EST
I get a kick out of making husi just a bit seedier.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
I didn't say you make it seedier. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #32 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 07:38:02 AM EST
Given your ability to talk past the conversation that's actually going on, and the fact that everyone else takes your SVG project smuttily, not seedily, I'd say you have a neutral effect on the seediness of HuSi. Greyrat makes more of an impact on the seediness than you do, but he fails it by being humourous and self aware about it.

I hope that's all clear for you.

Really? by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #37 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 12:22:09 PM EST
Last time I said what was essentially the same joke, you 4ed me for it. Mind you, a person shouldn't run around telling the same old jokes all the time, but still. Guess I'll chalk you up as one of the husi groupthink ijits.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Which takes more effort? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #43 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 01:28:39 PM EST
Clicking 4 or writing a detailed comment?

There's no need to take it too personally, I was just saying that even though your earlier diaries (and you seem to have got the hang of writing just about implementation now), the reaction to them made the site not seedy as a whole. I'm no groupthinker, but I do allow the opinions of those I trust to streamline my own opinion forming.

greyrat is not yet self aware by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #38 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 12:22:10 PM EST
He will not become self aware until August 29, 1997.

You once was.
Don't mind who? [en tea] by lm (4.00 / 1) #23 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:58:54 PM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Me. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #33 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 07:38:47 AM EST
But anyone who doesn't realise my comments are all about me's a bit off the mark, too.

Don't he, Don't he, Don't he, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #24 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 04:00:23 PM EST

Say, anyone seen Orion Blastar around lately?

IIRC by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #29 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:45:59 PM EST
Somebody spankficced [NSFW] him clean off the site.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Excuse me? by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #44 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 04:59:06 PM EST
Bike riding, guitar playing, or children? When did drinking get cut from HuSi?

Vive le Montréal libre.
the problem with killfiles by theantix (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:27:47 PM EST
If you are so annoyed by a user that you want to ignore them, is it really all that good for you to just ignore the problem altogether?  If it's annoying to you, it's probably annoying to other people as well.  Let's just say that your killfile system goes on and on for a while and lamers are around posting crap and people and admins deal with the situation by ignoring them -- this will make the site less appealing to potential new users who actually have non-lame things to say because all they will see is the garbage you and your cohorts are ignoring.

But I imagine you know all this already, you're not a stupid guy.  So what's your plan for handling this?  I ask because it's a question I've never heard a good answer to before, and it's a topic I find very interesting.

It's true by coryking (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:35:18 PM EST
but if $USERX got banned, there would be 50 PM's in my inbox bitching that I banned $USERX.

Your issues are a valid concern that I dont really have an answer for.  I'm just kind of jumping into the killfile ocean with no life jacket.  Dunno what will be the result but I hope I can keep my head above the water.

I'd assume if the time came and $USERX had 1.5 million ignores, I'd outright ban $USERX.

Thankfully (seriously, I am blessed by this) most of the users aren't jackasses.  However it comes with a downside: most of them dont have the thick reptilan skin that people who post here (and k5, slashdot, etc) have.  Photographica is the literally the first forum 80% of the people have ever frequented.  $USERX wouldn't last a minute on a site like this but on my site he can run pretty much unchecked because the userbase cannot cope with him.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

ok by theantix (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:41:09 PM EST
Well, having the admins be unable to ignore anyone is a really good step -- that alone will go a good way to answering my questions/concerns.  I had thought from the way you phrased your post that you were implementing this for yourself, but in the new context I think the killfile idea is less problematic.

It's an interesting question, and I'm glad you're trying it out -- I'll bug you about this in six months because I'd love to see how it turns out.

Your point is still valid regardless by coryking (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:45:43 PM EST
When all the registered people are ignoring $USERX, any unregistered, anonymous people will still see $USERX.  That could be a negative.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

right by theantix (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:56:31 PM EST
But if the admins can see it (especially if there is an interface to see who is being ignored the most), you can just ban the people who are being really bad.  This way the users can use killfiles to avoid petty interpersonal squabbles and can also be a trigger for the admins to find out where the problems are.  It's actually a cleverly workable system, the more I think about it the more I like it.

The other problem by coryking (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:06:43 PM EST
Is it creates differenting views of information.  I've always tried to keep customization of photographica to a mimimun as I belive everybody should see the same thing the same way.  A killfile will go against that philosophy and suddenly one person see's a comment stream different then another.  This, I belive, can be mitigated by just showing the name and not the content; like digg does.

It also adds more complexity to the user interface.  Now I gotta design ways to ignore / unignore people.

This has been done on other large scale websites such as somethingawful and digg.  They dont seem to have many problems (besides digg the fact digg's userbase is about the same quality as farks).

It will definitly be interesting.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Eh? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #26 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 04:47:48 PM EST
I belive everybody should see the same thing the same way.

Why is that so important to you?

I'd be pretty fucking offended if Dale Chihuly wandered in to my living room and started re-arranging a piece I bought from him.

It's simple by coryking (2.00 / 0) #34 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 08:07:05 AM EST
If you want people to see things different ways, you need to add a whole new layer to facilitate it.  That new layer adds significant bloat for the benifit of very few at a huge cost to the majority (can't think of a good majority link, sorry).

Example.  Comment prefs.  Tell me a good reason why?  Sorting prefs, why?   Box display prefs, why?  Who cares? Who uses it?  Nobody (trust me on this, I've done the stats to prove it)!  Why was it there?  Because it is *sooooo* easy to put in an if{}else{} block.  It says the developers were spineless and couldn't make proper design decisions on their own so they just chickened out and made yet another preference.

I want everybody to see the same thing, the same way, all the time.  To do so otherwise indicates my inability to make proper design decisions and adds a layer of useless garbage for 99.9999% of the people who view my website.  This site, kuro5hin, slashdot and any other nerd oriented website simply do not count for typical behaviour.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

that's a very strange perspective. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #45 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 09:34:54 AM EST
As a developer, I see it as my responsibility to provide my customers with what they want. In general, I have found that large customer sets don't tend to want identical UIs; everyone wants to be able to configure things to suit their particular set of preferences. So my job as a developer is to provide them with ways to configure it.

It is important that I select good defaults that will get many people what they want. It is important that the (undocumented, because programmers generally don't document) options not overwhelm newbies and drive them to distraction, and that they be provided in a way that makes it relatively easy to figure out what they do. But it is not a sign of laziness that the options are there.

Or you can have a reasonable set of defaults by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #47 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:15:44 AM EST
And then let people change their comment options as they see fit if they feel like it.

I, for one, like being able to change my comment prefs. If people don't use them, it doesn't hurt anybody. It's not like "Every time you adjust your comment display prefs, God kills a kitten."

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

And please note by coryking (2.00 / 0) #36 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 08:12:09 AM EST
I am not talking about forcing you to view a website in my font & my pixel size.  I hate that shit and would never do it to a website - if you want it comic sans & 22 point yellow go right ahead.  I am talking a whole different, information architectural level here.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

And what browser would you like me to use? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #30 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:47:48 PM EST
Can you let me know the font colours and sizes that would be acceptable to you?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
lynx by coryking (4.00 / 1) #35 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 08:09:00 AM EST
and comic sans.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Oh by coryking (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:36:48 PM EST
And I'll add that editors/admins will not be able to ignore people for fairly obvious reasons (sorry kwsni :-)

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

key point: ``admins deal with the situation'' by lm (4.00 / 2) #9 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:04:29 PM EST
If I were an  admint, I'd never use a killfile.

But most users are not admins and, consequently, should have access to a killfile.

Cicero, The Republic
we had this discussion on kuro5hin by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #46 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 09:38:56 AM EST
a number of times.

At the time, my objection to a killfile was this: if you're trying to create a site with a community feel, the existence of killfiles allows parts of the community to ignore other parts, and encourages fragmentation, undermining the sense of community.

On the other hand, on sites which do not have a community feel and in which a community feel is probably unachievable, providing killfiles allows users to ignore the twerps that annoy them, and thereby increases the utility of the site for them.

That said, I see killfiles as an admission of defeat: because once you allow them, you admit that the "community feel" just isn't going to happen.

Real communities have kill files by lm (2.00 / 0) #48 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 04:40:18 AM EST
I've yet to see nice, neighborly places to live where significant numbers of people don't answer the door on occasion when they see it is Mormon missionaries on the stoop or that rat bastard from the down the street. Similarly, these same neighborly folks commonly screen their phone calls through the use of caller-id and answering machines. These mechanisms aren't evidence that a community has failed to come into existence, rather they're the tools that allow for a community to come into existence.

Think of a killfile like yet another instantiation of Rousseauian manners. There are quite a few things that human beings don't like about each other. Manners develop (at least in part) as a way to hide this distaste that members of a community feel for each other. A killfile is just one more way to allow for limited hostility rather than allowing the hostility to grow into something that is actuall detrimental to the community.

Cicero, The Republic
Yes, let's all have fun... by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 03:20:41 PM EST
In our little fun citystate.

Too bad all the fun stuff usually happens in the shantytowns outside the walls, eh?

And then, you can set the cost of admittance to the city proper so high, no one ever makes it in, until you're left with a dwindling geriatric userbase, completely self-absorbed, stagnant and blind to the coming fall.

Yes, definitely just ban those users, instead of allowing killfiles.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Dude, that's been done before by theantix (4.00 / 1) #27 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 04:49:13 PM EST
Specifically, by me.  And despite what your primitve male ego might think, that comment has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Never said it did have anything to do with me. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #28 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:34:58 PM EST
Nor did I think it. I'm perfectly capable of understanding how generic and non-targeted such ignorance is.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Somethingawful.com by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #39 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 12:24:44 PM EST
Neither geriatric, stagnant, nor blind.

Very self-absorbed, however.

You once was.
If that's the site I think it is. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #41 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 12:35:54 PM EST
Then you lie when you claim they aren't blind.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
How so? by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #42 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 12:47:54 PM EST

You once was.
SPAM PRIMAVERA by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #8 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:49:18 PM EST
1 can Spam, cut in strips
2 Carrots, thinly sliced
1 Zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Finely chopped onion
1 Garlic clove, minced
6 Tb Olive oil
1 9 oz package linguini, cooked
1/2 cup Grated parmesan cheese
2 tb Lemon juice
1/4 ts White pepper

In a large skillet, cook Spam, carrots, zucchini, onion and garlic in 3 Tb olive oil until vegetables are crisp and tender.

Toss together linguini, vegetable mixture, parmesan cheese, 3 Tb olive oil, and lemon juice until well coated.
Serve immediately.

Interesting by coryking (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:51:55 PM EST
What wine do you recommend with this dish?

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Bicheaboutmahwebsite '06 by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #25 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 04:31:10 PM EST
Drink it quickly, because it doesn't age well.

This Artzaar site: by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #11 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:41:46 PM EST
It lets you search the shapliness of the mountains, the greenness of the grass, blueness of the sky, direction the people in it are facing, squirls of the paint splashes, offsetness of the rectangle, rottenness of the shark, and all the parameters one could want of art, doesn't it? I'm not confusing it with another site, am I?

That would be a different website by coryking (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 02:49:31 PM EST
This website only works in 8-bit color and thus cannot tell the blueness of the sky.  It can, however, wipe your ass and feed your dog.  Does that sound okay?

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

You have a sick, disturbing meticulousness by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #40 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 12:27:16 PM EST
In your relationship with porn art. To think that everyone else shares your disease views is criminally unhealthy obscene fucking retarded foolhardy!

You once was.
yay for killfiles by martingale (4.00 / 2) #31 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 11:29:11 PM EST
I also suggest you implement a counter that gets incremented each time a comment is looked at. That way, people can see how many times their comment was read by somebody, and the killfile has a bit more bite. Wouldn't want people to spurt their crap thinking that others are actually reading them, so to speak.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$