Print Story Old Family Photos
Family
By wiredog (Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 09:27:53 AM EST) (all tags)
My Aunt (Mother's side) has a collection of old family photos, some dating back to the 1800's. It's amazing how well an old photo looks if you take care of it.

Copied by imaging them with my digital camera. From a bit of an angle so that the flash wouldn't reflect straight back into the camera.

This is my grandfather, a US Navy chaplain, circa 1935. He died during WW2.

Great-grandfather, circa 1895. He was a farmer.

Great-great-grandfather, also circa 1895. He was a Methodist circuit rider.

Holy guacamole! You don't realize how big the images are until you hit preview!
< We're cooking now, baby! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Old Family Photos | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You need a scanner, dude. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:08:04 AM EST
get those bad boys captured at 1200 dpi for another generation to enjoy1

Also, your grandfather is so young and clean cut he hurts to look at. Your great-great, on the other hand, actually looks like he's got two stone tablets in his back pocket.

1by which I mean "use in fark photoshop competitions."

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

Oh yeah by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 06:06:49 PM EST
Great great grandpa looks exactly like what you'd think a Methodist circuit rider would look like.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh, and I dunno about the scanner by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 06:10:14 PM EST
I suspect a properly cared for print will last longer than a digital image.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Probably by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:40:06 AM EST
But you can burn a CD with these images for all 93 great-great-great-great-grandchildren.

Older pictures are always better composed by cam (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:09:37 AM EST
than most modern ones. I think it is the specialist factor, back then it was a skill. Now people throw their cell phones in the air.

btw here is my grandparents in same style;

barney and nella riley

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Yes. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:17:19 AM EST
Also, back when photos were a rare and relatively expensive proposition, everyone took the process seriously. Oh, and the photographer probably did quite a bit of work in the dark room to clean things up.

Now that every phone is also a crappy camera, no one cares.

I took a picture of a girl at the karate studio because she's a hottie I wanted to learn my new camera better; I used Photoshop to clean up her skin, blur the background saturate the colors, etc..

When I gave her a pair of 5x7 prints she was so damned amazed and grateful that "I got a good picture" of her. I didn't tell her about the photoshop part - she might have misunderstood.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

Oh, if we're swapping family shots by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 10:23:17 AM EST
I don't have anything going back earlier than 65 or so - but here's a shot of my dad and me.

I'm the short one.

The weird thing is the big bird cage. I'd swear we never, ever had a bird...

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

Classsssssssssic pic by cam (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 12:17:49 PM EST
My mom. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 12:46:01 PM EST
That is actually restored from a badly torn and scratched print - I spent a couple of days carefully using "clone" to eliminate the tear.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.
Time well spent by cam (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:20:55 PM EST
You had a great tan for a toddler. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 01:55:41 PM EST
I suspect UV radiation hadn't been discovered by then.

True by komet (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 11:10:00 AM EST
and I blame the Sony Corporation of Japan. "Don't think, shoot" - what the fuck kind of approach is that to preserve an image for the ages?

I also blame flickr for encouraging this practice.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Your grandma was a hottie. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Mar 11, 2006 at 06:09:15 PM EST
I mean, unless you think it's disturbing for people to say that, in which case she was a "classic beauty".

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

d00d by cam (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 04:53:30 PM EST
Yeh she was a pretty amazing woman. She kept her vitality, vigour - and figure until the very end when cancer claimed her. She was ahead of her time. Pretty forceful and tough.

Even though that pic doesnt show her in uniform when they got married she was a fitter/mechanic with a Hawker Hurricane squadron. Grandad worked on Spitfires. IIRC that pic is from just after the Battle of Britain when they got married.

cam