Print Story Doing the rimmer thing
By squigs (Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 03:45:36 AM EST) (all tags)
Squigs' Risk Seafarers of Catan diary.

Accidental trolling.

Old lady hooligans.

Boardgaming was fun.  6 of us playing.  We were a bit out of time though which meant we decided to go to 10 points rather than 12.  Something I don't like much because it messes up the dynamics of the game.  Getting 5 cities (at 2 points each) is doable.  Getting 6 is a lot harder, so it means tactically, you have to find another way to get those points.

Didn't matter too much.  I was on 9 points.  I also found myself with a lot of sheep, grain and brick which were mostly the wrong sort, and a year of plenty card.  I traded 4 grain for an ore.  4 sheep for an ore, 4 bricks for an ore, and built a city.  Then used the year of plenty card, built 2 ships, and ended up with longest road (ships count as road in Seafarers).  12 points for me before anyone else had reached 10:)

Trekkies get highly offended if you suggest there aren't any females.  Wasn't even intended as a troll.

Yeah, I know I'm not the only person to talk about the lady who was asked to remove her hat, but why does shew think she deserves special treeatment?  She's clearly an agist sexist bigot who just wants to cause trouble and use her hat to avoid being identified.

< Moment 32 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Doing the rimmer thing | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I have yet to try Catan by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 03:51:55 AM EST
since I'm not sure how four year old will like it, and I don't know how well a two player game would be against nine year old.

I'll have to wait a year, or find some friends.

catan by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:03:02 AM EST
it's one of the more wife/gf friendly of the german games, so perhaps yours could join in?

So is Carcassonne by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:54:51 AM EST
which she has seen played many times, but she has yet to mention a desire to play it.

two player really wouldn't work by squigs (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:34:16 AM EST
Trading is too important.  Two players makes trades into an even sum game so an advantage to one player would be detrimental to the other.

You really need to find some other players.  All the best games need at least 3 players.

Has anyone suggested Board Game Geek's geeklists for your predicament?  There's a user submitted list of games that work well with two players  and a similar one for games that work best with two players

And a couple of others

Finding friends? by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 01:01:24 PM EST
I thought that men go through some sort of friendopause after they seperate and settle down, and afterwards the only real way to make friends is through strange heretic acts of science that involve killing god and sacrificing sex drive.

You once was.
Well, mostly true by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 02:47:06 PM EST
but there are a few couple friendships we have, and I hope to go on a ride or two with my work-bud who sold me my bike, and I suppose I could swallow my airs and hang out with the game playing crowd, which is 90% men. So, something akin to a friendship might happen.

I was speaking from my own experiences by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 03:15:15 PM EST
Thank you for ruining any remote feeling of comraderie that we may have once shared in my poor, pathetic little mind.

You once was.
Can we tentatively plan to get together for a beer by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 07:34:19 AM EST
or coffee should our paths ever cross due to work travel, and spend an awkward hour or two before swearing off real time relationships forever?

Nah, we could do something cool though by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:22:25 AM EST
Sitting around consuming liquids is just asking for awkward silence.

Ever been rock climbing?

You once was.
Nope, it might be fun by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:43:39 AM EST
or it might be excrutiatingly painful, what with the pain everytime I walk, stand or bend the balls of my feet.

It might be really painful by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:54:39 AM EST
But it also could get you killed. I think the costs outweigh the potential benefits on that one.

You once was.
I Know This Is A Troll, But by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 03:52:09 AM EST
my officemate is a female trekkie. A cute female trekkie. A cute female trekkie mathematician. Unfortunately, she also likes Star Wars.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
trekkie women are teh ugly by cam (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 03:59:23 AM EST
.... now BSG women, there is a relationship that could start on a good foundation.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Book cover by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:42:47 AM EST
You're assuming gender from outward appearance? tsk tsk
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
You are right by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:48:08 AM EST
"She" could possibly be a hormonally imbalanced male. Very hormonally imbalanced. IYKWIM.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
$ies vs. $ers by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 05:18:29 AM EST
I've always had the impression that males outnumber females in terms of Trekkies but that the inverse is true with regard to Trekkers.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Doing the rimmer thing | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback