Print Story As the week draws to a close
By ad hoc (Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 09:56:53 AM EST) cycling, bikes, music, news (all tags)
I've been busier than a really busy person.

But I did get a lot of things done.

Aging Eyesight and Kerning: Confusion or Amusement?

Headlines. Which do you see?
Iran Threatens U.S. With 'Harm and Pain'
or
Iran Threatens U.S. With 'Ham and Pan'

From the Globe's technology reporteer: "An obscure data network technology called the Usenet..."

Damn you, Garelick Farms! Your "sell by" arrow looks exactly like your "Open this side" arrow. How many times will you deceive me?

The pokey guy I've been riding with on occasion is in the paper.

I headed for the bike show tonight. I suppose I should hit the ATM first.

Our ad is on display:

8.  Commercial Classifieds  o^o  o^o  o^o  o^o  o^o  o^o

NEW

NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC. July 15-21, 2006.
7 days, 4 states, 550 miles. 2-day ride available.
Benefits the American Diabetes Association.
For info, click

______________

Hopefully it will generate some business.

Attention Boston Infidels:
Arctic Monkeys at Paradise Club, March 23.
I mean, I haven't been to Paradise since, like, forever. Not since Steve Morse went solo. But I'd sort of to see this. I wonder if it's still a fight club or whether they've cleaned up their act. I think they have new owners after being shut down for awhile.

Have a super swell weekend!

< Help! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
As the week draws to a close | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Cycling by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 10:53:10 AM EST
Too bad the New England Classic is the week before Ironman USA, otherwise I'd be all over that.

So Shimano has an electronic shifter....  Hrmm.  My coach has the Mavic ZAP on his now USCF illegal TT bike (Zipp 2001).  I think it's the coolest thing, being able to shift with a button.  He's got two sets of buttons, one on the aerobars and one on the bullhorns for the start.

I like the piece on using the correct chain, although I must confess that I have a SRAM chain on my Cannondale.  Why shimano can't make a chain that doesn't require tools to take off is beyond me.  If the chain can come off easier, it can be cleaned easier, the sole reason I got the SRAM chain.

The new SRAM gruppo sounds nice too, but why would anyone spend Dura-Ace/Record cash on a gruppo that's not Dura-Ace/Record.  Frankly, why anyone buys Dura-Ace/Record is beyond me, unless of course money isn't an option.

You riding this weekend?  I'll be doing my first outside ride in 4-5 months tomorrow, after the trainer workout.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
IAWTP by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 12:31:48 PM EST
I will never buy another Shimano chain. Ever.

I have an Ultegra gruppo and when the chain wears out, I'm getting a SRAM.

I doubt I'd ever get an electronic shifter. I got rid of the wireless cyclometer because I didn't like the way it worked. Wired is just fine. I mean, if I were racing, it might be an issue, but I'm not, so it isn't.

Yes, I'll be riding at least tomorrow. Show tonight, ride tomorrow, either ride or show on Sunday. Tomorrow is supposed to be 60 and sunny. I'm on the road, baby!

I think the NEC would be perfect warmup for the Ironman!
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

RE's: by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:59:46 PM EST
I'm due for a new chain on my tribike.  It'll be hard to explain why I put a SRAM on it when they find out (the company is VERY protective of it's bikes).

I also have an Ultegra gruppo since the extra ~1000 for Dura-Ace didn't sit too well, and besides, Ultegra is 10sp anyways.  Now I have both a 9sp and 10sp Ultegra equipped bikes.

The Polar watch/cyclecomputer I use is wireless and it was a bitch to get right.  I had to take the sensors apart and set a DIP switch to turn the transmitter power up, which drains the batteries faster.  It is funny when I ride by a power substation though, my speed will be something like 65mph with a cadence of 0 and a HR of 400.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Usenet? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 10:55:52 AM EST
Is it worse to call it an obscure data network technology, or to imply as the subeditor did that it is an internet technology, given how it started on UUCP (?), not TCP/IP.

I quibble with "obscure" by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 12:37:24 PM EST
But if you call it "Google Groups" is it still obscure?
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
I see your point by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 01:09:23 PM EST
Google Groups does put a different perspective on it.

Harm and Pain by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 11:14:49 AM EST
but I understand kerning and ligatures.

It's been productive for me, too, I resewed my custom MC seat, and pulled my carbs.

Hiawatha Bray can kiss my totally fit female by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 01:58:07 PM EST
...ass for writing that. Christ, you'd think someone who has been held up as an example in blogging circles could be a tad bit more accurate
As the week draws to a close | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback