Print Story Attention Dallas/Ft Worth and Chicago infidels
So, ah, what's there to do in your fair city ?

Cancel my 8 AM meeting via an email sent at 7:45, will you, mother fuckers ?

We'll be in Dallas/Ft Worth at the end of April. My cousin is getting married. I believe the wedding is in Forth Worth, so that's where we'll be most of the time. I know we've got a few Texans here, but I don't think any are in that part of the state.. If you've been there, lived there, what's fun to do ? We'll be in for dinner on Friday, have all day Saturday to dork around, wedding Saturday night, then sober up for a flight to Chicago on Sunday.. (Don't know if we'll be in the rehearsal dinner or not on Friday)

I know there's a few Chicagoans here.. We'll be in/out of your city for the next week, meandering over to Goshen, IN to see relatives, and into Michigan (Sorry, MNS, he's not my brother, and it wasn't my choice..) for my brother-in-laws graduation.. We'll stay in Chicago 2-3 days with a college friend+husband+2kids+dog.. It'll be interesting, as the kids are ~1.8 and ~0.6 years old.. Anything worth seeing in Chicago in April ? Hell, will it have thawed by then ?

And, yes, email sent at 7:45 to cancel a slew of meetings that start at 8 AM.  Bastards. Coworker just IM'd me asking where everyone is -- he dialed in from home, and sat on an empty line. See, traffic is funny around here with all the military, manufacturing and grind jobs. I'm usually in around 9, and it takes 20 minutes to get in. Try to be in at 8, and it'll take 35 minutes to get in. Go figure. So in honor of taking my personal time to come in for a (no notice given) canceled meeting, I'll poke around husi more.

Drinking a custom blend of Kona and fine french grind coffee today. I'm truely an international icon here. Pop open the bag, a little of this, a little of that, and let it brew! None of that powder crap certain other people drink.

Also, I feel the need to highlight this entertaining thread

< Well it was seven o' clock when she let me in, she said | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attention Dallas/Ft Worth and Chicago infidels | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
See oh double-you double-you queue aye ess period. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 04:03:26 AM EST
cowwqas.  Cowwqas!  It can't be pronounced except drunkenly.

In re: Dallas / Ft. Worth, that's five hours from here.  I've not made it yet.  But who knows, if some of the Houston or other Austin contingent want to road trip, I'll buy in.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

C Terminal, ORD, Chicago Salutes the Graphic by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 04:37:40 AM EST
Arts serves a great hot dog, add a pint of Sam Adams  and it's just the thing when you're flying home from a tough customer visit.

It might be hard to get to if you don't have a ticket, though.

A semi-frequent poster lives in a north Dallas suburb, but I won't blow his cover.

Alas by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 04:42:44 AM EST
I believe we'll be out of Midway, not O'Hare (ORD).

It depends on what you want to do by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 05:13:01 AM EST
The cubs will be playing, and you can probably get single game tickets during the week. If you can't get cubs tickets, you can definitely get Sox tickets.

I recommend the Art Museum, the Shedd Aquarium and pretty much anything else in the museum campus. The lincoln park zoo is a lot of fun and not as crowded that time of year. In that area you can also see the Second City comedy troup and the Blue Man Group.

If you like tall buildings, the signature club at the Hancock building is a great place for a drink. If you go around sunset there might be a little wait, but for the price of a $7 beer you get the same view as you get from the $20 observation deck, plus you get to drink the beer.

If you let me know what types of things interest you, I can point you in those directions.

Mike

i second the art museum by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 06:48:36 AM EST
clock and i spent many hours there a few months ago.  it has some great collections.

Unless things have changed in the last month by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 08:29:24 AM EST
make sure you check out the photography exhibition in the basement. There is a really cool set of photos where the artist downloaded several hundred wedding pictures and color averaged them pixel by pixel. It really shows how similar all of our special moments are.

My description doesn't do it justice. It was really cool.

Yesterday, our ${newBigBoss} by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 05:29:08 AM EST

Cancelled our weekly dev conf call 9 minutes before its start time. One coworker, who waited until 10 minutes before the call to log off, pack up his laptop, and come to the office to partake in said call, fired off an email as follows:

"Could you give more than 9 minutes notice in the future when you are going to reschedule or cancel a meeting?  It would be nice to have at least 24 hours notice about changes of plans like this, barring emergencies."

This, naturally, was a perfect opportunity for me to use the phrase "Ooooh, looks like somebody's been off the chain again!" in a work-related email. Which I did.

4/23/06 by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 06:52:44 PM EST
On 4 23 06 the chicago rush have a home game. mmangino has a lot of good suggestions, especially the hancock center and second city.

also, metromix.com is a great place to find out what sort of things are going on in the city of chicago.