Print Story Happy Happy Joy Joy
By ad hoc (Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:13:23 AM EST) joy, happy, cycling, bikes, tv, video (all tags)
I am happy. Very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very happy.

Remember those long and sordid stories about the looooosers from the bar next door? You know, the ones screaming Vulgar with a capital-V language at the top of their lungs? The ones that use my foyer as a urinal? The one with the staff that just won't shut the fuck up? The ones that use my front garden and their own personal smoking lounge?

GONE!

Woohoo!!! Municipal Court usually means eviction for non-payment of rent. Whatever. They're gone! And, rumor is that now that the building is full of owners rather than renters, they're were not happy with the place anyway, so the likelihood of another bar going in is small than it would be otherwise. That may just be a rumor, though. The way Mass. issues and regulates liquor licenses makes them a very precious commodity and they're attached to the premisis, not the owner, so who knows what the eventual disposition will be. But if the other unit owners don't want one, they can't have another bar. This is great news. I thought something was going on last night, there was more noise over there than there's been in a long time. It sounded like they had started up construction again, but it may have been trying to get things out of there before it was closed. Yippee!!!

If you bought this, you could have a bike JUST LIKE MINE! (only bigger) (and less than half the price) (components extra)

A video of my neighborhood!

Parts of this are quite funny.

I've seen (part of) a couple episodes of the UKian version of The Office. I'm having a really hard time liking it. I think the problem is that it's actually too close to real life and not enough of a parody. I've known every single one of those people. For real. I could kneecap Gareth without my conscience bothering me one bitQ: Isn't "Dawn" in Shaun of the Dead?

< Disturbing Dream Last Night | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Happy Happy Joy Joy | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yes, that's her by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 4) #1 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:19:54 AM EST
I can't watch it either--too real. Also, I can barely understand them half the time. Crazy foreigners.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I turned the subtitles on by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:35:26 AM EST
Plus I had to reference the glossary chart that came with the DVD cause I couldn't work out some of the slang.

I guess I'm in the minority cause I thought it was pretty good.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I thought it was better than good by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 5) #25 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:42:25 PM EST
It's brilliant. I just don't want to watch it for the same reason I don't watch footage of the Holocaust.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
IAWTAP by Gedvondur (4.00 / 3) #15 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:50:04 AM EST
Totally.  I have been out of cube-land for over five years, and The Office, American or British still pisses me off.

All those sad motherfuckers are real.  I worked with them.  Hell, I was probably one of them.  I can actually feel my blood pressure rise while watching.

I couldn't handle The Sims computer game either.

I like my entertainment to be be nicely escapist.  Anything else is just too real.

Gedvondur
"...it isn't like I dug up her great-grandmother and fucked her in the eye socket." -clock

Reminds me too much of me. by Gully Foyle (4.00 / 2) #34 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 02:30:57 AM EST
I can't watch Alan Partridge either. There's a whole sub-genre of embarassment comedies with the same group of writers. All of them are very good, but I can't watch more than 2 minutes at a time.

Whoa! by komet (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:32:05 AM EST
To The Full Extent of the LAW !!! Three exclamation marks means business. If only they were in italics.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
What I Want To Know by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:38:14 AM EST
Is Why "of the" Are The Only Two Words In The Whole Thing That Aren't CAPTITALIZED!!!
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
For dramatic effect by LodeRunner (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 01:44:33 PM EST
It's To Build That Little Momentum Slope For When You Get To the last WORD!!!

my space movie.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:35:36 AM EST
classic..

I *love* the emo music by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:39:53 AM EST
in the first sketch (the kid in the bathroom)
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
yeah, the first two by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:55:49 AM EST
and the last were tops..

The kid in the bathroom, just from obsessively reloading watching the POE random LJ pictures does very well. I've always wondered -- why the bathroom, and don't you know how to use the self timer ?

Then the date, well, hell, I learned that in BBS days.. hah. Memories, oh God..

And the party, with the requsite drunk/puke money shot.. Such things happened before the internet, but when college teams get busted for hazing because of such pictures being posted.. Just funny.

I saw this a long time ago, and saved a copy: http://www.hulver.com/scoop-files/121/myspacetruth.jpg (too large to post)

The extreme angled bust shot? by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:05:19 AM EST

I'm not seeing fat there. In fact, if anything I'm seeing a need to eat a sandwhich. Or a cock. One of the two.

The dude wearing makeup is dead on though.

Myspace needs an anthem by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:11:55 AM EST
and this is it.

----

That's not it. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:26:59 PM EST
UK, The Office. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:54:52 AM EST

You gotta be careful with that. If you catch the wrong episode first it can really sour you on the entire show. There's about four episodes that, had I not been interested in the ongoing story-line before I saw them, would have turned me off forever.

Luckily, one of the first episodes I caught was the one where David decides to start playing guitar in the middle of a training meeting. That and the one where he dances to try and show up the new boss were classics.

My wife LOVES the entire show. We bought the complete box set and watched it through, and she's been hinting she wants to watch it again. It has just the right twists by the end that you really get left craving more, but knowing it was best it ended when it did.

Also, that bike frame looks awesome. Too bad I'm still targetting wheels.

I think I agree` by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:21:36 PM EST
In a sense. . . by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:45:53 PM EST

I do too. Which is why I say you gotta be careful which episodes you see first. That harsh reality slapping you in the face in unacceptable from someone you don't know. But, once you've invested a bit in the show, it doesn't come across QUITE as bad. Not to say it doesn't make you squirm a bit, but it's still better after seeing some of the lighter episodes.

Waaa?? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:04:30 AM EST
$600 clams for a bike with no wheels or seat or steering wheel??? That's nutty. Hardly a bike is it?

I think my ol western flyer wasn't more than a hundred clams when I was a kid and that thing was ready to rock right off the showroom floor!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

What world do you live in? by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:15:26 AM EST

All real bikes come without wheels.

Well by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:32:44 AM EST
I can tell you back when I was 12 you didn't have to pay extra for wheels. No sir.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Of course not. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:41:56 AM EST

When I was twelve, I didn't either. But, when I was twelve, I wasn't busy trying to pretend that the bicycle was the penultimate vehicle in the entire history of mankind, and proving it by spending more on my bike than I do on my car.

It's rough being a member of the OCP1, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

1 - obsessive compulsive posers club. Of which I'm actually not a part of. My bike makes most of those guys laugh out loud in how cheap and crappy it is.

Yeah by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:02:32 PM EST
You get that in the guitar world too, as you well know.

Personally I don't need no $3,000 axe when you can get 95% there with a $400 axe.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

But the $400 model by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:23:16 PM EST
doesn't come with chixors.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
I tend to go midline. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:52:32 PM EST

My bike was near a grand. Which is about a quarter what a supposed "good bike" cost. My guitars usually clock in around $700, which, again, is supposedly about a quarter of what a "good guitar" costs. So, while I see no reason to toss out five grand on a new item of major importance, I also see no reason to skimp on the pieces of the picture I really want.

Of course, computers are a completely different deal. In five years my bike and guitars will still be usable. In two years, my computer mostly won't.

I tend to disagree.. by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #31 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:11:36 PM EST
Your Giant is a pretty good bike, and the 1000$ price point buys a lot of bike nowadays.  The 4K bikes are nice and if you race or do endurance style events, they do come in handy, for everything else, 1K gets a damn good ride.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Sadly. . . by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 06:05:38 PM EST

I tend towards endurance style riding. Anything over six hours on that aluminum frame makes my tender bits far too tender to continue. At least, on anything outside of absolutely PERFECT ashfault.

Next go-round will probably see me on an aluminum/carbon rear triangle/fork setup. But that's years down the road at this point.

What car? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:22:41 PM EST
All OCPers have a car. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:46:39 PM EST

Though they probably wouldn't admit it online.

Dear Bob by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:22:15 PM EST
It's not the 50's any more.

Prices have gone up.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

Aren't you glad now that you didn't sell for a by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:52:03 AM EST
huge gain and move into a quieter neighborhood without an ebola chemical warfare lab being built above a quickly subsiding subway line?

Um, no. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:24:38 PM EST
And you forgot the dropping groundwater.

I'd still sell it in a heartbeat. Still, at least I'll actually be able to open my windows this year.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

Please link obtuse words to... by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:28:20 PM EST
Their wikipedia definition.

I thought foyer was the european word for toilet or something.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

I thought everybody knew by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:52:00 PM EST
what foyer meant.

Hmm.. good idea for a poll.

It's the space between the outer door and the inner door. Although to be strictly correct, it's probably not the foyer. It's that small area between the outside door and the inside door where the mailboxes are.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

U-S-A! U-S-A! by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #33 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 12:04:45 AM EST
Gentrification is on the march!

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Doesn't apply in this case. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 06:05:39 AM EST
Happy Happy Joy Joy | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback