Print Story And lo! There was ...
By Herring (Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 08:57:25 AM EST) depressing, paedophiles, second viennese school (all tags)
... stuff

Guy at work pointed me in the direction of a cheapish ticket offer for Wozzeck at the Royal OPera House. It's something I'd like to see but the Grauniad didn't really rate the production and I can't see Mrs. H. enjoying it.

New computer worries: To give it something to do, I thought I'd try the GIMPS thing. When it tested, it gave warnings of impending doom. This is worrying as the PC is brand nwe and they talked me into buying extra fans. Of course, the 64bit GIMPS code might be dodgy. I did turn it off and let it cool down, but when I tried the test again, it spontaneously rebooted (when I had just started writing this - bastard). Hmm. If I can find something else to test it, then I may have to request that he people who sold it me sort out the meory (or whatever it is).

Talking of new PC, what Linux distro is most likely to install on here? Even disabling the SATA stuff in the BIOS, I get the same symptoms - i.e. loading devices, it loads something which fucks the CD driver. This is with all things IDE and traditional like.

So, the government plans to allow anyone to search on the web to see who's "authorised to work with children". Great. I can't see that being abused. The Register sums it up quite well.

Really odd weather thing today. Looknig out the window opf the office, it was pelting down with snow but there was also bright sunshine. No snowbow.

As some of you may know, I like to help people.
Cofused colleague: "It's like CRUD - you know; Create Update Read ..."
Herring: "That's Curd".

LCC is being a bit crap at the moment. All the contractors who have been here long enough to know something about the system are leaving. We do, however, now have a working A3 colour printer. Smoetimes comes in handy when doing lots of UML and having to explain it to people who don't have Rose licenses.

Project Watch All Buffies is coming to a close. Got today's two episodes on the Sky+ and the final one is tomorrow. It's not been easy.

< You Was | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
And lo! There was ... | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Project Watch All Buffies by The Fool (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 09:16:35 AM EST
Mrs. The Fool and I bought the complete set of DVDs from some online place for the low, low cost of two yaks and a hyena.

We watched them all.

And we have watched almost all of Angel, too, through the miracle of Netflix.

Yes, I have no life at all.

Proof that people are stupid by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 09:48:18 AM EST
I checked on Amazon for the complete set and it's £125.99. You get free delivery on that. I checked out eBay. First set (identical to the set on Amazon) was going for £139 plus £15 P&P. Hmm.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Wow by The Fool (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 10:22:38 AM EST
That's nearly 8 yaks and 3 hyenas!!!

Buffy watching project completed? by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 09:42:19 AM EST
Try a new, interesting challenge: Listening to all of your music, alphabetically by artist.

Nice idea by Herring (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 09:45:39 AM EST
For classical though, do I go by composer, conductor or soloist or what?

On April 17th, I understand that Radio 3 is broadcasting the entire Ring cycle. Sitting through that would be ... interesting.

I think it was Mark Twain who once said "Wagner's music isn't as bad as it sounds". I assuming he was referring to Richard rather than Robert.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

first by martingale (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 09:31:57 PM EST
listen to all of them by composer. Then start again from the beginning, by conductor. Finally, do it all over again by soloist. Shortcuts won't do it justice.

Did you try the atapicd kernel option?

boot: linux atapicd
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$

IAWTP by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:46:23 PM EST
But then do you extend that to non-classical. I.e. do you go by songwriter, then producer and then band lead/solo artist? And, more importantly do you use surnames or first names as most significant?

I have just completed "Project: Listen To Everything That Was Unplayed From My iPod". Shuffle play meant some things get played 8 times while some not at all. Smartlists are good to rectify things like that. There were over 2000 tracks with a playcount of 0.

Ignoring "The"? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 12:07:47 AM EST
What about "The The"?  Your carefully constructed house of cards comes tumbling down, sir.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
What about them? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 12:15:35 AM EST
My house of cards is reinforced with cellotape.

Linux distro by andymurd (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 02:00:32 PM EST
This may not be at all helpful but I'll crack on and say it anyway...

Would it be worth trying Knoppix to get a working set of basic drivers then upgrading/tweaking in stages? I have not yet met a system that will not happily boot from a Knoppix CD although my experience is not vast.

Re: sexoffender.google.co.uk - if it's publicly accessible, it sounds a lot like Megan's Law in the US. A UK equivalent (Sarah's Law) was campaigned for by some dodgy tabloid and roundly rejected a couple of years ago.

The first person I'll be looking up is my boss, just in case there's some handy blackmail material.

Watch all Buffys by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:44:54 PM EST
My mate Alison did that during a spell of unemployment - on VHS. She deserves a medal.

I used to ring her up and she'd be like "Well, must crack on."

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

It's what education has been crying out for by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 11:50:19 PM EST
Extra snooping powers for nanny employers!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I'm supposed to get a Disclosure done by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 12:08:43 AM EST
Fortunately, I can do it under my stage name, Angus MacOg MacSporran MacBorg.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I watched all the buffys years ago by priestess (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 12:41:11 AM EST
I miss Willow :(

Pre...........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Top adverts in this diary. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 01:08:44 AM EST
Source your kippers
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
WIPO by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 02:41:57 AM EST
The inlet to my central heating system springing a leak (fixed), followed by the boiler going out, being an absolute cunt to get lit again, and then going out again seconds after firing up.

£50 + VAT call out charge, and they'll get someone here as soon as someone becomes available (sometime this afternoon).

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

And lo! There was ... | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback