Print Story Three kinds of intro
By ad hoc (Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:51:35 AM EST) Devvo, MLP, Death, Dog, Movies, Money, ennui (all tags)
c.f. tags

New Devvo episode! Devvo's doing tunes on MySpace! Vote in the poll!

"The president maintained his hunger strike for 11 days but was forced to end it for health reasons,"

Um, what's the purpose of a hunger strike again?

It must be dead actor week. Don Knotts, Dennis Weaver, Darren McGavin.

Whisky cam

Hoot! Snort!

My dog is miserable. He gets this yeast infection in his ears from time to time and it's back again. Poor baby. He could barely sleep last night (meaning, of course, that I didn't get any sleep either). I tried q-tips, then cleaning fluid Ob: made for ears, then finally put him in the tub and syringed them out. It's a bit better, but not much. Ordered Otomax this morning. Hopefully that will help.

The Animatrix

[Netflix] [IMDb]

A triumph of form over substance. The Animatrix is nine animated short stories based in The Matrix universe. The selections are very uneven, but I supposed that's to be expected when there are nine different directors. Several of the stories are written by the Wachowski Brothers, but the credits at the end are in such tiny print that I didn't bother to see which ones. I have my suspicions.

Some of the shorts are dazzleing in their look, but the all come up a bit short in the story (so to speak).  In fact, many of the characters seem completely out of place and it's puzzle why they're in the film at all. The ones that work are the ones that give some of the backstory to The Matrix. The Second Renaissance,  which gave the story of the man-machine war that resulted in The Matrix itself, is foremost among them, but even it suffers from being just an series of animated scenes with a voiceover. And that thing about the runner made no sense whatsoever.

The film is probably good for real Matrix fanbois and it has an interesting style (or styles), and one or two of the stories are good. Not required viewing.

would not watch again

So we're expecting another storm. Hmpf. I'm getting a little tired of this OH NOES a storm! then getting a dusting at most. If it's going to snow, SNOW dammit.

My upstairs neighbor bought me a ticket to a fundraiser thing on Saturday for my neighborhood association. I really wish she hadn't done that. A couple weeks ago we had a chat about whether I was going and I said probably not. Why? she says. So I says, I says it's too expensive. My point being (as I explained) this is an organization that has over $20,000 in the bank, that uses that money for little more than sending out mailings asking for more money and for throwing parties occassionally for whatever select group of people are most in need of a party. Fine and worthy causes, indeed. But they just put their membership dues up to $50 per year, and this fundraiser is another $50. That's $100 per year (assuming you buy nothing at the silent auction) for this group. Too much. It's not that I don't have the money to pay for the ticket, I explain, it's that I don't think they need any more money until they have a purpose for it. And with 20g's in the bank, there's no need to charge so much for membership (thereby excluding a good percentage of the neighbors from joining). There are plenty, nay oodles, of other organizations more worthy of $100 per year. So she misunderstood all fo this and decided I wasn't going because I couldn't afford it, so she bought me a ticket.

Now what do I do? Give her a check for the ticket? Just use it? Not showing is not an option; she's a very nice older lady and it would hurt her feelings. Ach.

So, um, er hmm... you know?

< Ask Husi: books they made you read in school | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Three kinds of intro | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What IS the purpose of a hunger strike? by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:00:13 AM EST
I've never understood it. If you don't want to eat, be my guest. Why am I compelled to accede to your demands until you do?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
It's the Jewish Mother tactic. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 3) #2 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:02:14 AM EST
where you try to get people to do what you want be being ostentatiously miserable and (hopefully) making them feel guilty.

My mother is Jewish? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:30:36 PM EST
So surprised, I am.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
As I understand it by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:06:37 AM EST
it's to cause oneself an injury while the wellbeing of said self is the responsibility of a third party thereby making the third party liable for the injury by proxy. This has the effect of forcing the controller to either allow the gradual decline in the health of said self or force feed, again causing injury. You're "forced" to accede to demands because the health and wellbeing of the striker is your responsibility since he's in your "care".

Which really make "ended hunger strike because of health reasons" really puzzling.

Of course, that could just be spin.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

If I were the controller by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:11:19 AM EST
I would set up a continuous video camera and make sure there was food and water available at all times. IMO, only a nutbag would hold the controller responsible in that case (though clearly they could still be evil--just for different reasons).

Also, that doesn't explain Gandhi. Or Homer.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Pause by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:18:33 AM EST
only a nutbag would hold the controller responsible in that case

and consider.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

In theory by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:20:18 AM EST
It's to prove that you are think it something is so important that you're willing to die for it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yes by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:24:51 AM EST
And that may explain why it works in cases like Homer's. I'm not clear why that would work at Guantanamo Bay or in India, though. Doesn't the fact that they are already killing/being killed prove that point already? A hunger strike on top of it.....meh.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Well, the other purpose... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:00:59 AM EST
is to attract media attention to the cause...

Not to mention that ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:25:38 AM EST
... at Gitmo, if reports are true, they've been force feeding the prisoners when they go on hunger strikes. This makes it quite difficult to ``win'' a hunger strike.

The US Representative (Tony Hall) for my home town while I was growing up used to regularly go on hunger strikes to protest various things such as Christian misionaries scheduled to be executed in Saudi Arabia on Christmas day. Not that he ever planned on winning, but his antics did manage to get a good deal of media coverage for causes that normally wouldn't have gotten any coverage.

Cicero, The Republic
How does Devvo relate to Devo 2.0? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:40:38 AM EST
I'd listen/watch at home, but my main box at home is a Ubuntu box, which doesn't do music, video or sound.

Devo 2.0?!? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:47:36 AM EST
That site does nothing in Firefox by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:00:42 PM EST
because you know how Open Sauce sw is for video, flash and music, but from what I've seen on Nick and other children's cable channels, it's frightening.

That's what I use by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:07:17 PM EST
albeit on Windows. (Requires Flash.)

Scary.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

Devvo: by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:20:56 AM EST
He slipped up somewhere during the middle of that and revealed himself as like fuckin actin or fuckin well fuck somethin.

Sometimes I think by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:49:20 AM EST
he is, sometimes I think he isn't.

Still funny.

Not in a gay way though.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

I was deeply disturbed by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:53:50 AM EST
until I saw that wikipedia thought he was acting, and then I clung to it like a liferaft. Just so I don't make myself housebound with fear of meeting him.

I can't remember the actual slip up, I'm afraid, and I'm meant to be catching up on the work I should have done while my boss was on holiday, so I don't have the time to find it. If you really want to know, I'll have to look in more detail later.

Wait a second, got it, it was about the not having the rights to the Coronation St theme.

He does stuff like that a lot by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:09:52 PM EST
so that didn't particularly stand out to me, but some of it certainly seems staged.

One spot in particular on one of the other vids. He's wondering where to get 20p and it just so happens someone walks by at that very second. A bit too convenient.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

I drink beer mate by cam (4.00 / 2) #19 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:04:13 PM EST
Can't stomach the tase of whisky. Tastes like plastic. Beer adhoc!

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I'm a beer man, myself. by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:08:40 PM EST
One of my favorite locals is this. Still sold in growlers.

Of course, we must support our cycling boosters!
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

Wachusett Winter Warmer! by blixco (4.00 / 2) #22 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:14:33 PM EST
They don't list it...was it bar / tap only?  Is it now called Winter Ale?  Anyhow.  Loved that stuff.

And: we still can't get Harpoon here.  I've started petitions and everything.  My friend Sach makes an excellent copy of their IPA, though.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Dunno by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #24 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:45:58 PM EST
I like my beer unadulterated. Fruits and berries belong in pie, not beer.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
I will keep an eye out for it locally by cam (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 06:09:18 PM EST
but havent seen it that I can remember. The supermarts are getting better at stocking microbrews these days. Now I know the name and label, I will keep my eyes peeled.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

First thing by blixco (4.00 / 2) #21 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:12:42 PM EST
I thought was "cam and whiskey? He doesn't do whiskey."
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
What's that sound by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #23 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:45:10 PM EST
That's the sound of that flying right over my head.

Whisky Cam. D'oh.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

Der Fuhrer by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:55:03 AM EST
At least he just trying to walk and chew gum.  Riding, smiling and waving takes more coordination.

---------------
Correction by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:56:32 AM EST
At least he wasn't just trying to walk and chew gum.  Riding, smiling and waving takes more coordination.

------------

Someday I really have to stop inserting words in my head.

---------------