Print Story The ambrosen diaries, fluffy nerdy edition.
Games
By ambrosen (Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:04:32 AM EST) Scrabble, Brio, Wooden Trains, Arses (all tags)
Well, I thought my last few diaries have been a bit of a whingeout, and they make me look like a miserable bastard, so it was time to redress the balance.

The tags tell you what's inside. There's a multiplicity of pictures at 640×480, please note.

Well, my latest addiction in my underexciting, understimulated and as much as I can manage due to health life is Scrabble. It seems that despite the fact that my lack of energy means my brain hardly works on most useful things I'm getting better at it, so I wanted to post a few boards for your delectation.

Board 1
This was a quick game. aqua is the highest scoring, yex means hiccoughs, and peter is an alternative spelling of petre (as in saltpetre), meaning rock.

Another quick game. I was tired as ever. Interesting words: ut is another word for do, as in "do re mi", ew is a variant spelling of yew, xi is an unpermitted word, and this was pretty low scoring. I believe bad tiles and poor confidence in making exchanges were to blame, despite the CBB diary condemning such blame.

I can't remember much about this game. It had the dull old ax/ax play with the x on a double letter, but apart from that, fairly uninteresting. I got qua with the q on the triple letter immediately after picking it up on my second last go, so that was lucky.

So, ky is a Scottish form of kine, the gendernonspecific singular word for cattle. This goes with the profitable simplistic late move ox. Xes are a touch too high scoring given their usefulness, methinks. I got a Scrabble on hoisted, and 4×spot for the q in quora, along with noöne else being able to use it. It was a pretty good game, really. The best of the ones I've photographed. Apologies for the camera shake. I'd have tried to correct for it in the downsampling, but I don't know how, and for some reason the camera was only set to 1280×960. Which is not good enough.

Well, huSk/Swag was a pretty nifty addition to wag, I thought. After feeling frustrated because he had a near scrabble in donmice, my brother (this is the first time in this account I've decided to peer into the mind of a fellow player, mainly because he mentioned it.), who wanted dormice, was interested when I cheated and looked up, after his go, but still during the game, donmice and found demonic, but we still reasoned there was nowhere to put it.

Anyway, my latest addiction is proving quite enjoyable, so that's nice.

Like I just said, my brother 2 year old supercute nephew was visiting recently, so that meant the train set was out. Having bought an additional set from IKEA to rectify my brother's lack of points for his birthday, it meant that our childhood set had an additional 4 curves (having had only 16 (720°'s worth) previously), and it was possible to attempt to use all 4 sets of points (2 tracks merge/split into 1), both interchanges (2 tracks in, 2 tracks out), and all the other pieces in a layout that was fully traversable in both directions for an indefinite number of circuits. I'm pleased to announce that
You`ll just have to extrapolate under the chair
I did it. All while my nephew was having a nap. So that was good.

As for the other stuff, well I'm pretty screwed on the health front. I had a colonoscopy yesterday, so maybe that will give them more of a clue what's up with my gut. I'm failing to get enough food in to give me the energy to do stuff, which means I don't feel happy with myself, which means I don't have energy... Actually, it's not that bad, but I am pushing an elephant up the stairs, you know. The happy pills do keep me happy. But I still find myself occasionally resenting the way I got into this position. I decided to spoiler the whingeing, anyway, so it looks as if there's lots of good news.

< "Ubuntu Linux Mark Shuttleworth Visit Follow-up" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The ambrosen diaries, fluffy nerdy edition. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good train layout! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:19:42 AM EST
I tend to end up with a one way reversing layout, once you go down the wrong loop you get reversed and can never go the other way.

Boy, we could whinge about our health and scrabble for hours, eh? A shame we're not pensioners.

Anyhow, good luck with that health stuff, I hope it resolves favorably.

Double reversal was the prime ambition. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:13:49 AM EST
I can't but say I'm pleased to have fulfilled the other criteria.

The Scrabbles weren't as interesting written out as I'd hoped. It would take an unusually bored person to actually pick out interesting points about the games to actually make a decent comment about them. Or maybe just a Scrabble genius. Still, I keep meaning to put up a HuSi scrabble server, so I may do that.

I hope the health all works out, too. I'm moderately confident, but it's worrying, given that I'd really rather not have ended up living with my parents when I'm getting on for 30, and it needs to be fixed before I can leave again. Apologies for putting it in a spoiler, but I'm doing it so it looks optimistic.

Train layout: by komet (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:39:18 AM EST
not bad at all - all six points allow a reversal of direction, and the layout is wonderfully asymmetrical. Minus points: only one instance of two separate loops; I'm pretty sure your components would allow three separate loops, or two instances of two separate loops, possibly both; and the bridge doesn't cross over other track, so 7/10.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Hard to know. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:06:56 AM EST
It's the reversal and rereversal of direction that's a killer for separate loops.

A bridge crossing would definitely have been desirable, but my nephew woke up shortly after, so he spoilt the game for me.

what are you using as a dictionary by 256 (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 02:06:05 PM EST
around these parts we use OSPD3 and therein, XI is an allowable word, but neither EW nor KY are.

what sort of scores are you getting?

with my main opponent we reliably top 700 combined score and have on a couple of occasions topped 900.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Shorter OED, 3rd edition. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:28:52 AM EST
I know it's not official, but it's what's around. Some of these boards didn't top 600, but I'd say average is 650. Highest in the past month is 795, which is nice.

Don't tell 256, but most of these are 3 player games.

Also, European rules score slightly lower. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 02:37:46 AM EST
In that unplayed tiles are taken off their owners scores, and added on to the person who goes out, rather than the person who goes out getting twice their value. This shouldn't really matter in the long run, though.

Posting a comment. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:53:14 PM EST
Just to make your diary seedier.

Carry on.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Isn't board 2 illegal by TPD (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:19:45 PM EST
(2 instances of if), I thought each word had to be unique? I really like scrabble and am pretty good at it - except for one fatal flaw which is my really terribel speeling

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
No, that's definitely fine. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 02:36:10 AM EST
I just checked the rules and everything.

apparently so..... by TPD (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:45:29 AM EST
I just checked myself..... looks like I've been playing it wrong all these years! Doh!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Uhm by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:06:41 AM EST
How did you get into this poor health lark, exactly?

I don't recall you posting about the time you ate crushed glass or razors or anything.  So good luck with getting the quacks to sort you out.

It's not clear. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:10:59 AM EST
It could either be my CARD15 or NOD2 genes, or maybe it's an infection with Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis. Anyway, they do know that I have elevated levels of Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae Antibodies IgG and IgA.

More helpfully, I've got Crohn's Disease, and whether the current acute occurrence of it is due to external factors and whether I could have done more about those external factors than I did is all a bit moot. My current feeling is that, yes, I was on an poor diet for much of last summer which may have had an effect, and no, there wasn't that much I could do about it. Still, a bummer all round.

Also, one of the drugs I've just started taking again would probably have helped if I'd been taking it all last year, but I was given the impression that it was OK to stop and that it was only for mild symptomatic relief, whereas it does actually make a more significant difference than that.

Ow. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:15:58 AM EST
So, no chance that they can just spray your digestive tract with some PTFE or something, to keep things ticking and give you some relief, then?

Presumably you've been to see a nutritionologist and everything?

Good luck with it though; sounds pretty nasty.

I've got food pills. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:27:03 AM EST
Would you believe you actually need 8 200ml bottles of stuff to supply a complete day's nutrition? I'm drinking 3 a day (they're pleasant enough milkshake style things, somewhere between Frijjs (yeuch!) and Mars Milk (yummers!) in tastiness), and then I fill up on real food.

It's tolerable.

The future is now! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:49:55 AM EST
Food pills, fantastic!  Do they have blue ones?

Well, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 04:21:48 AM EST
food shakes.

Jelly? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 05:18:39 AM EST
I'll get me coat...

+1, Scrabble pron. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 01:00:32 AM EST
G'luck with the health at least you are doing stuff about it.

It's proper reader's wives stuff, too. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 02:49:03 AM EST
Badly shot and with bits of furniture in the background.

The health is a pain in the arse, but I'm not too dispirited about it. And I'm genuinely very happy with the service I'm getting. It's a bit of a squeeze getting appointments with the consultants, but I guess that's intrinsic to a free at point of use service. However, there's a nurse specialist who's able to call back within half an hour during weekdays, who knows the medicines inside out, who has my notes available and who can make appointments with other departments and bring forward appointments with specialists if need be, so that's excellent. Also, the endoscopy was in a specialised suite for it, and everyone was really friendly, quick and professional and there was no waiting around, and it didn't feel like a big hospital procedure. I got it quickly because of a cancellation, so that was lucky, though.

All in all, +1 would use again. Which is lucky, because I'll probably have to.