Print Story I scored some good shit this weekend
Drugs
By georgeha (Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:30:08 AM EST) avian flu, contagious, crack, pancakes (all tags)
Tamiflu, it changed me from a comatose invalid to a somewhat functioning zombie!

Plus, Pirates, xth update, stress, winter and more!

Poll: How will you celebrate Pancake day/Fat Tuesday?

Friday I felt like crap. It felt like my sinus infection was returning, I was coughing, hacking and wheezing and felt like shit. Then I got worse.

Saturday was bad, the only way I felt comfortable was lying down. Since four year old had been diagnosed with the flu a few days earlier, I checked out my symptoms on the web. Dry hacking cough, headache, fever, painful to breathe using chest, running nose, yeah, it was the flu. Fortunately for me, the web site I found was sponsored by Tamiflu, which said the flu was treatable if caught within 48 hours. So, I had the pleasure of bothering the on call doc and had him send in a prescription for Tamiflu.

That shit is expensive, $66 for 10 pills. My insurance covered about half, so it wasn't too much out of pocket. It seems to really work, too, by no means do I feel healthy and one hundred percent, but I can walk and put in a modestly productive day.

I must say I was extremely pathetic Saturday. My dad, with a reconstructed heart and two reconstructed knees, shoveled our driveway before taking nine year old for the day while I shivered under many layers of blankets.

In other health related financial news, I'm trying to get my pretax money back, they seem really picky about filling out the forms. They also make you fax the stuff in, dangit, they need a web submission method. We'll see how it works, once I get the hang of it I'm shooting for four figures of reimbursement.

Before there are too many complaints, I am coughing into my elbow (want to see the dried pleghm?) or kleenex, washing my hands until the skin dries and cracks, and wiping down keyboards with an alcohol soaked paper towel. I am trying not to pass this on. Next year a flu shot for sure.

In the next tedious health update, my feet feel worse. Good thing I have a podiatrist's appt tomorrow.

I have played a few games of Pirates, it's fun. Not as much fun as riding my bike, having sex, or even playing Squad Leader, but fun. I'm still figuring out which ships I have are unbalanced, my two American ships are vastly outclassed by my two pirate ships. My sole English ship, when coupled with a Captain allowing it to move and shoot, is very capable. I have Spanish crew, and two identical Spanish forts, but no Spanish ships. Further playing is warranted.

Stress at the Ha household is rising higher. Mrs. Ha's depression has strengthened, with all that that entails. Nine year old was very helpful this weekend though, even doing several loads of laundry. And four year old has been sick, she's getting over the flu and has an ear infection. I have the work cell for a week, and when I get rid of it I'm taking some much needed time off. Lots to talk about with my therapist.

Mrs. Ha's family is not very functional, and when things turn bad it tends to bring out the worst. Since Mrs. Ha's mom is recovering in a nursing home from a shunt, with not much chance of regaining her facilities, things are very crazy and tense and angry. More stress.

I'm sick of winter, February has been brutally cold, with a bit of snow. Today it was getting close to blizzard like driving conditions. But in a month I may be riding!

It appears that today is the last day before Ash Wednesday and Lent. I may cook pancakes today, I gather that's the traditional English way to celebrate, along with burning the Pope in effigy. How will you celebrate Fat Tuesday/Pancake day?

< What Happened to the Real Me? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I scored some good shit this weekend | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Guarughurgle... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:39:14 AM EST
How am I supposed to make snidely humorous witticisms in your diary when you don't give me anything to be snidely witty about?

Peace, dude.

I'm not spoonfeeding y'all by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:42:04 AM EST
you just have to dig deeper.

Hey, read the user name, buddy. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:44:43 AM EST
Does it look like is says "deeply insightful troll"?

I thought not.

deeply insightful troll by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:02:00 AM EST
Sounds like a good dupe account.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I call that your by cam (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:06:47 AM EST
Could be worse. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:37:24 AM EST
I've been trying to work up some sort of star-wars tie in; where I tint the skin green and make the oreos glow red.

Bah, I caught on in the first paragraph by debacle (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 01:50:37 PM EST
The man is 40, and yet he has to check his symptoms in the internet to see if he has influenza?

What?

WIPO by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:40:02 AM EST
As a nonbeliever, I plan on celebrating "do whatever the fuck I want" day.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That's fine. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:47:12 AM EST
That's pretty much what it means to the believers, too.

You don't believe in pancakes?? by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:03:13 AM EST
(nt)

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Proof! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:03:43 AM EST
I demand PROOF.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
What about by ana (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:05:45 AM EST
EMERALD PANCAKES!!???!!!oneeleven

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Go back to k5, troll! (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:18:50 AM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
my wipo by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:19:31 AM EST
I have some old Mardi Gras beads at home. If I remember, at some point I'll put them on. And then, probably take them off. Woohoo.

What's in this tamiflu stuff??? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:10:45 AM EST
Today is the first day I've been off the aleve stuff since I blew my arm out again. I'm right happy about it too as that stuff puts a bad taste in my mouth. I think/hope it's on the mend. The last thing I want to do is go through a bunch of rehab.

Say, npr had a story about glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate last week that made me think of you. Turns out it doesn't seem to make any difference unless your symptoms are severe.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Tamiflu is the shiznit by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:43:26 AM EST
Apparently you can take it when you expect to be around flu patients, and not get infected, it's somr sort of anti-viral, highly recomended for Doctors and other care givers.

I don't always take the MSM Glu chon, so it's hard to say it's had an affect. Severeity is always subjective, but when every step feels like a 10 d nail is being hammered through the balls of my foot, it's severe to me.

I ignore both Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:30:22 AM EST
But I could tell you some tales about Cheese Fare Sunday.

Cicero, The Republic
You yanks are so repressed. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:43:58 AM EST
drink heavily
engage in public sex
vomit in the streets
Parade around in a thong, Rio style

Most London based husi readers don't need an excuse to engage in many of your poll options...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

Wipo by ks1178 (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:41:18 PM EST
Eat Custard Paczkis till I puke.

I thought everyone ate paczkis by calla (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 05:47:52 AM EST
on Fat Tuesday.

It seems that you and I are the only ones here that know about paczkis.

I had a paczki yesterday. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 06:18:29 AM EST

Dude, by calla (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 06:33:30 AM EST
If only you could have shared.

But don't share more than 2 with Millman.

Since leaving Michigan by ks1178 (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 07:03:25 AM EST
I've had to go out of my way to actually find them.

I was shocked my first year out and I stopped at the local Donut shop, and had no clue what I was talking about.

Usually if you can find a good Polish bakery on Fat Tuesday you can get them. But back in Detroit, it was hard to go anywhere that didn't have them available.

Nothing like 2000 calories of sugar and lard.

Folks look at you as if you're retarded. by calla (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 07:15:19 AM EST
"Where are your poonch-kees, please?"

Paczkis are just one of the many things I miss about Michigan.

Another regional donut difference - maple bars. In all the donut retailers I visited back East - I found an occasional chocolate bar, but no maple bars.

NO MAPLE BARS!!!!

I guess you've got to be an enlightened West Coaster to understand the delicious beauty of a maple bar.