Print Story free electron shortage
Family
By 256 (Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 06:03:31 AM EST) power failure, roommates, flatmates, pictionary, friggin' intense (all tags)
power outage last night. i have never gotten over my childlike love of power failures. i love my toys that work on electricity but i enjoy the way that an enforced vacation from them shakes things up a little. and besides, i have left behind my apocalypse fantasies and have faith that the power will always, eventually, come back on.

misslake and i were in the living room, just about to start watching another episode of firefly when it happened. i immediately tried to peel her clothes off and ravage her right on the couch. i mean, everyone else was shouting about where the candles and flashlights were and no one's eyes had adjusted yet, so it seemed a perfect opportunity. unfortunately, it turned out that misslake was the only one who knew where the flashlights and candles were.

so we lit a bunch of candles and set them up around the kitchen (i also set a dishrag on fire, but that turned out not to be an efficient and reliable source of light). then we all gathered on the kitchen floor and played pictionary by candlelight. after the game was over, we opened some wine and started in on a 1000 piece simpsons jigsaw puzzle. i don't know if you've ever tried to do a jigsaw puzzle by candlelight, but it's not that great for your eyes.

the power was out for about three hours in total and the whole thing was beautiful. reminded me of how much i love our housemates. i am very happy that misslake and i didn't fall for that line that as soon as you get married start building a mortgaged kingdom and a legacy. we do intend to reproduce someday, but i hope that we don't have to live by ourselves when we do it.

speaking of which today marks the six month anniversary of the shawshack. seven of us living within these walls, sharing food, sharing space, sharing chores and there is no tension, everyone gets along with everyone. and as much as i love living in full busy houses, i acknowledge that this is something of a miracle. and i am thankful for it.

< Drivin' down the fast lane late one night | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
free electron shortage | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Clean livin'? by calla (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:04:23 AM EST
That's gotta be why y'all get along so well.

Cult communes are usually fairly stable by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:34:11 AM EST
Church of Whedonists, right?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
it's true by 256 (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:43:07 AM EST
misslake and i were nearly excommunicated for speaking out against buffy
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Which Buffy? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:19:01 AM EST
Real or Pretend?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Google safesearch is on by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:42:39 AM EST
And failing to protect me from the naughty bits!

Pretty sweet, huh? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:58:36 AM EST
I guess I should have typed NSFW, but I was hypnotised by Ms Gellar's stick-like body.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Those are ribs, dear. by debacle (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 02:05:43 PM EST
I believe the breasts go when you stop consuming organic matter.

So a movie actress is the by calla (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:01:33 AM EST
real Buffy and a tv actress is the pretend Buffy?

Dude, does that make any sense?

Act...ress? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 10:44:43 PM EST
What?  Documentary subject.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
i miss my old housemates by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:58:08 PM EST
but my current living arrangements are nice too.

my hope is that by the time i'm beginning to reproduce, ni will have gotten our commune started. it's a nice little scenario, but, damnit, unlikely to happen. i'd have to be allowed to move to your country, first.
Send me to Austria!

7 peeps, no problems . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:18:20 PM EST
. . . that IS a fuckin' miracle! wow. All I can say is . . . wow.

I lived in many such situations, and not once did I even get close . . . except, maybe, for that one night in the drunktank . . .

free electron shortage | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback