My computer power supply fan has become noisy again (was quiet for a few days). Makes it a drag to watch DVDs and have the computer on when I'm at home. This fills me with fear given my appalling ineptitude with hardware (see I am an idiot who doesn't deserve nice things) Have tried blowing out the dust with a can of air: didn't fix it.
Possible courses of action:
- Open up the power supply, see if there's fluff around the fan's spindle or something. Reluctant to do this, since it means opening up what's supposed to be a sealed unit, and possibly electrocuting myself with the stored charge on the capacitors. I'm crap enough at the things I'm supposed to be able to do.
- Take it back to the shop to get a new power supply fitted. Ideal technical solution, but means a hassle and doing without it for a while. Also seems like a bit of a wimp-out
- Replace the power supply myself. Grudgingly, leaning towards this option.
- Current unit is 450W. Is this flexible: can I get away with a 400W replacement? How about a higher replacement?
- My power supply sits at the top back, about a centimetre from the top of the case. Some of the units seem to have fans on the broader side (top or bottom?). Will these work in my case?
- Any recommendations for what power supply to buy? Have surfed around and looked at:
Saw Stealth on DVD after reading about it in diaries by spacejack and 606. Definitely a highly entertaining movie: about an ominously calm-voiced A.I. joining an elite fighter squadron. Plot's rather predictable and the special effects have cartoonishly over-clean CGI, though I liked the way they had little contrails coming off the wingtips... pretty much all the time. Plot's fairly well-handled making thorough use of all the aspects of the setup: they don't waste anything but the squeal. Politics are rather like Team America: World Police taken seriously. Definitely worth a look.
I give it a #C80520 on my new multidimensional rating scale. This is an RGB value where R indicates entertainment value, G originality, and B intellectual stimulation. Goes from from 00 to FF in all cases.
Dropped in at the Michelangelo: Money and Medals. Basically just a couple of dozen Florentine coins and medals. Unsurprisingly, some of the connections with Michelangelo are rather tenuous. Not much point in going there just to see this unless you're particularly interested in coins.
|< Good Morning, Great Britain | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >|