Print Story How come there's no 'fun' topic?
Death
By wiredog (Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:25:49 AM EST) (all tags)
There's 'boredom', 'working life', even 'death', but no 'fun'.

I guess the site just reflects our pointless and lonely lives.

Or something like that...

Went skiing over the weekend, for the first time in 6 years and the first time since I left Utah. I'd forgotten about the joys hell of Eastern Ice. Still, it was better than not skiing. Marginally.

Painful however. No falls, just out of shape and haven't skied in 6 years. Did 4 hours Friday, 7 on Saturday, and my legs (especially the shin muscles) are hurtin'. Bad. As in, going up stairs is excruciatingly painful. Going down stairs is not so bad.

It was a trip to Snowshoe Mt in WVa that the AA group I'm in did. 120 of my closest friends. About 10 of us skied, the rest snowboarded, and only one of us had to go to the hospital. A snowboarder who broke his wrist.

75 days to beach season, when the boobies come out of hiding.

< San Francisco and the Bay Area: A Vacation in Pictures and Words | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
How come there's no 'fun' topic? | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I still have not done any skiiing by cam (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:32:33 AM EST
Despite being her for donkey years. Should go and do it.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Yikes by cam (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:33:28 AM EST
I was going to ask by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:14:48 AM EST
if that was one of your quaint aussie-isms and to please explain it ...

donkey's years equals long long time by cam (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 04:15:34 PM EST
WIPO: Cross country skiing by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:36:57 AM EST
Oh the joy of spending ten minutes herringboning up a hill to spend one minute skiiing down it. The thrill of going down a meter wide trail in secondary growth woods wearing barely steerable skis with no heel support, the saplings and trees whizzing by a foot or so from you.

This winter it hasn't happened, I'm physically unable to, and the snow has not cooperated.

My Dad has xc skied on downhill trails by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:28:42 AM EST
There's some strange turning style you use when going down a steep mogul slope on xc skis.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

telemark by Greener (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:49:07 AM EST
I don't understand it either. Looks hard on the knees.

I actually saw telemark powder skis on the weekend. They were almost 3 times as wide as XC skis

Telemark or cheapo x-country? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:48:07 AM EST
The Telemark ones are nice, they have a locking heel binding. You can turn, I think you even drop a knee.

The cheapo ones I use have nothing on the heel except a saw toothed pad, to turn, you lean way, way back and shift your weight, not easy or graceful or quick.

Telemark by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:05:08 AM EST
Still looks uncomfortable.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh, come on. It's not that bad. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:51:37 AM EST
I had fun once. I'm sure I did.

The sad thing, for me, is that I used to be good. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:26:18 AM EST
Back when I lived in Utah and went 3 or 4 times a week. Oh, and weighed 30 lbs less. And was 10 years younger.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I heard that. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:21:17 AM EST
I used to subscribe to the theory that serious physical activity makes you stronger.

Now I know why my father seemed pissed off all the time.

beach weather by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:41:22 AM EST
you should move to san diego, where you can go to the beach at any time of year.
I'd love to go skiing by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:50:54 AM EST
$60 lift tickets and traffic on the I-80 always deter me.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman