Print Story #66
By MillMan (Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 09:43:21 AM EST) jobs, pasta, partisan trolling, upper class welfare (all tags)
See the tags, geniuses.

jobs
Interview this Friday. Still trying to decide if I'm going to call in sick or ask for the day off when I go in tomorrow. If I get it, I'll do the superficial NYC life for a few years, if not, I will seriously consider some red cross / habitat work as I've now got a list of volunteer gigs with them sitting in front of me. At any rate I need some sort of life reboot.

pasta
Saturday evening's food:

Chop one yellow onion and 8 cloves garlic. Fry in olive oil until the onion carmelizes just a bit. Take 1/2 lb Italian sausage and remove the casings. Add to pan and chop it up while it cooks. Just before the sausage is done cooking, add 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream. Also add mushrooms or some other veggie if desired. Simmer until cream is thickened to desired consistency (I simmered for about 20 minutes to cook the mushrooms). Add parmesan (I used about 1 cup grated) and stir. Add 1 lb of tubular pasta (I used penne). Add basil, pepper, and chilies / red pepper to taste.

partisan trolling
Newsflash: controlling for other variables, selfish pessimists are happier than optimists who give a shit, as that makes life much easier.

upper class welfare
A few weeks ago I came across a thread on the topic of the Minnesota Twins trying to get a new stadium. The owner is willing to put up $200 million of the estimated $600 million cost, with the rest coming from the public. For a number of years now, the legislature has refused to make this happen. The following comment is a far more common response to the situation than I wish it was:

"I don't understand why an owner is expected to simply "gift" hundreds of millions of dollars without a reasonable mechanism in place to get the money, with a reasonable rate of return, back. But to most of Minnesota, that's a "catch", I guess. It just confuses me."

That's right, ladies and gentlemen - it's not the duty of the wealthy to take on the risk of their business practices, it is the common man's duty to shoulder that risk for them. I can't think of a better example of the complete ideological triumph of the wealthy. Or as Ambrose Bierce was quoted in Civ 4:

Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.

< Attention Boston Infidels | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
#66 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 11:53:32 AM EST
Call in sick as you can't "cash out" sick days when you finally leave your present employer.
The flu is going around by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 02:51:30 PM EST
and that Tamiflu kicks ass, so you could be feeling better the next day.

yeah, I agree by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 05:04:44 PM EST
usually I have to type things like that out to exercise the remnants of protestant guilt and duty clanking around in my head.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

I love free markets by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 06:26:01 PM EST
Voters in the county where I live voted by an overwhelming majority to raise sales taxes to buy a MLB team a new stadium. Then they all started complaining about how county taxes were too high and they all started moving to new suburbs just across the county line.

Whatever.

Cicero, The Republic
heh by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:29:37 PM EST
the middle class likes to pass the buck too I guess.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

rich, poor, in between by theantix (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 09:43:18 PM EST
...all like to pass the buck.  And no wonder, passing the buck is frickin' awesome (for the passer).  The one difference is that the rich seem to be much better at selling their buck-passing as a national duty and framing the poor's buck-passing as sin.

life reboot by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 06:43:32 PM EST
you can come live with us for a few weeks. and make us dinner. we can go out to my parents' house and chase poultry for awhile, and i'll teach you to milk a cow, if you dont already know how.
Send me to Austria!
heh by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:32:09 PM EST
that doesn't sound too bad. Next weekend: pasta carbonera with pacetta.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

And in return by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:48:08 PM EST
He can fix your shift key!

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
after he's done at my house by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 2) #11 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 04:26:06 AM EST
he can come to yours, and fix your attitude!
Send me to Austria!
How did you type an exclamation mark? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 05:32:22 AM EST
noob keyboard

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
How much does a stadium cost? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:49:38 PM EST
Can't the Minnesota Twins just put on a dyke show to raise the cash?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
#66 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback