Print Story I've got Friday on my mind
By ad hoc (Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 11:09:07 AM EST) curling, cycling (all tags)

Don't you?

Update [2006-2-24 18:3:56 by ad hoc]: How come none of the Canadian curlers are named "Gord?"

erp

Congratulations Canadiana.

Hey Scotchlandia, who's your daddy?

The lead Finland player's name is Markku Uusipaavalniemi. The commentators call him "U-15".

Also, Brad Gushue is MillMan's long lost twin. Well, maybe not twin. But you've never seen them together in the same room, have you?

I also just found out that the world curling championships are going to be in Lowell, Mass in April. Tickets are a bit pricey, but I'd be interested in going to see a couple games. Anyone? Anyone?

Took the maiden voyage on the new bike yesterday and almost didn't make it out alive.

Spent a few hours putting it together and trying to get everything adjusted. I can say right now that I do not like V-brakes. They're next to impossible to get adjusted. I didn't have anywhere near this trouble on the linear pulls on my Rockhopper. Don't know what the difference is, but these were tough and I'm still not entirely satisfied with it. They're very squishy. Good stopping power, but they have a spongy feel.

I also not sure the wheels are all that true, so I'll have to take them over to Broadway to make sure. That might have been part of the trouble with the brakes. I don't think they're badly out, but enough to make the brakes temperamental.

What a sweet ride! I'd kind of forgotten what a steel bike feels like. My road bike is mostly alumin[i]um with some carbon, the MTB is all alumin[i]um, and I think my cargo bike is cast iron. Very nice indeed. This bike frame is a bit bigger than my road bike and I feel like I'm in an SUV, I'm up so high. This is a 54 cm and my road bike is a 49 cm, but the road bike is a compact frame, so I'm not sure how that equates. This one fits really well, though, for the most part. I think a 53 would probably be perfect.

Nearly got doored. Closest call I've had in a long time. Some fuck parked four or five feet from the curb and flung his door open without even a look. I normally travel four or five feet from the parked cars for exactly this reason, but when you park in the middle of the lane, what am I supposed to do? We had words.

Have a swell weekend.

< Now Ever Since The Day I Learned To Earn A Dollar... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I've got Friday on my mind | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dooring. by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 11:26:38 AM EST
Gah. Thankfully I haven't had a near-dooring yet.

Have you ever ridden a 29-inch tire mtn bike? I'm wondering what they're like.

You have a swell weekend too.

29er by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:01:24 PM EST
No, I don't think I could ride one. It would be hard to make a frame to fit both me and a 29 inch wheel.

Buy my guess is that it would be a sweet ride. Larger wheels tend to smooth things out quite a bit.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

borderline disturbing by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 11:35:13 AM EST
rivals the Blixco / Jason Varitek similarity.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

Ever been to Newfoundland? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:02:34 PM EST
Also by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:03:46 PM EST
He's a good screamer. Can you scream?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard! Reeeeeeealy Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

only in bad traffic by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 09:26:55 PM EST

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

Oh, please... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:25:08 PM EST
He looks nothing like you.

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Does too by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:54:04 PM EST
in the photo below by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 02:10:38 PM EST
clicky

That looks a lot like me, although might be more comparable to me when I was a bit younger.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

Alright, that's a little closer... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:16:51 AM EST
...but I still stand by my first statement.

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Ignint cagers by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 11:48:42 AM EST
I hope it got a parking ticket, too.

It was scary by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:02:13 PM EST
I felt the wind of the door on my face.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
When the weather is nice, by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:29:26 PM EST
and I'm not lazy, I ride my bike the 1 mile to the T-stop. I have a close call almost every time I ride there, because I ride right past the RMV and a couple of auto body shops--people are parked all over the place. Not just by the curb, but on the sidewalks, the grass, wherever a vehicle will fit. I've only had one instance of nearly being doored, but when people pull out, they can't see around the parked cars, so they just go. Very quickly.

I've had words with more than one driver, and for some reason, they always think it's my fault they nearly hit me. It's a good thing we're in the People's Republic of Massachusetts--in NCia, I'd have probably had someone pull a shotgun on me by now.
damn it, lif eis actually really *far4 too good at tghe momnent, shboyukbnt;t whilen. --Dr Thrustgood

This driver aggression is getting by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:55:34 PM EST
totally out of control. You can see it escalating every single day. Something has to change. People are getting killed.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
Yup. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 12:58:06 PM EST
I'm starting to wonder if I should replace my water-bottle holder with a tire iron.

In other news, I think I have an idea for a tattoo. Want to go shopping After Deadline? That'd be after March 27. iGrrrl wouldn't want me distracted before then.

I'm thinking of by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 01:04:54 PM EST
getting battery powered dremel.

Yes, let's go shopping.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

Re: The dremel. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 01:07:54 PM EST
Excellent idea. I've always wanted one of those, and never had a reason to get one. mmmmh. Power tools...
er. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #21 Sat Feb 25, 2006 at 04:38:31 AM EST
Don't let him give you a tattoo with a battery-powered Dremel.  There are lots of perfectly clean, safe, professional tattoo parlors.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

But none with my sense of style. by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #22 Sat Feb 25, 2006 at 05:22:20 AM EST
Curling content within by Greener (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 03:24:03 PM EST
I recently tracked down a clip of the game winning shot that qualified the first Canadian women's team for the olympics in 98.

Not sure if you've seen it before but it's worth checking out. One of the best shots ever made.

http://www.cbc.ca/lifeandtimes/video/schmirler1.ram (Real Video)

Cool by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 04:21:45 PM EST
I haven't seen a lot of it, but there was a shot like that made by Canada today. Remarkable.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
Holy crap by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 04:50:55 PM EST
that's a shot!

----

I would definitely by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 04:45:51 PM EST
go see the world curling championships.

----