Print Story Moment 27
By DesiredUsername (Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 02:46:07 AM EST) tagsareforpeoplewhocantgoogle (all tags)
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Freep my poll

Two movii in a row? How?? It's partially because we added that third movie-out-at-a-time to our Netflix subscription. However, I've also noticed a distinct speedup in turnaround ever since Mrs U wrote to them complaining about this. COINCIDENCE??

Anyway, the actual movie itself: Vfunny, as usual from Nick Park. There seemed to be more visual/background jokes than in previous movii and shows. For instance, when Wallace gets stuck in the breakfast chute, Gromit is shown applying a jar of "Middle Age Spread" to toast. Other examples are too numerous to mention. Also, the movie seemed more like an extended episode of the shows than a movie movie like Chicken Run, but that's not a complaint since I've always wanted the W&G eps to be longer. 4 stars.

The attack on my problem yesterday seemed to be going well, but the simulation based on the math didn't match in what I would call a spectacular way. I've been simplifying a spherical problem to a plane one, but it doesn't actually seem to simplify anything so I think I'll take a spherical approach today. Or, you know, ask someone.

You may recall that a year or two ago I made some mead. You may also recall that I don't like alcohol, so I didn't drink any. But the m-i-l did and I just learned yesterday that she really liked it. I found that out because I'm making some more. This second batch is going to then be distilled to try to make a pure enough ethanol to burn in an alcohol lamp. (Don't worry, I know that a permit is required.) I've already purchased a little CPVC, an Erlenmeyer flask and a stopper for same. I also checked to make sure the stove could heat the flask to a steady ~80°C. Now we play the waiting game for the yeasts to be done.

Update [2006-2-23 9:59:5 by DesiredUsername]: I also built Johnny Number 5 last night.
< Anti-Competition | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Moment 27 | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
W and G by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:11:24 AM EST
My favorite small joke (well, pun) was the name of the constable: P.C". Macintosh." I saw it on a date. Who knew that claymation could have that effect on a girl?

Next movie: Trouble With Harry is a great, funny, Hitchcock flick. Shirley Maclaine's first movie, btw. A Shot in the Dark is a great movie if you like Peter Sellers and Inspector Clouseau.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I liked by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:46:16 AM EST
the Smug fridge and the Botch drill.

I think there was a joke in every bit of text on the screen.

I saw those but didn't get them by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:48:54 AM EST
UKian brand puns?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Yeah. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 05:00:07 AM EST
Smeg make posh kitchen appliances, and Bosch make relatively high quality power tools.

I just found someone's school project which has a list of the references in the film, including these.

I don't know about Smug ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 05:01:59 AM EST
... but I would think that a Botch drill would be a pun recognized everywhere in the western world.

Cicero, The Republic
Is the verb 'to botch' in American English? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 05:05:05 AM EST

It certainly is by lm (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 05:15:59 AM EST
Which is why a Botch drill is pretty funny.

Cicero, The Republic
I should have said by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 05:07:44 AM EST
I didn't recognize Smug and thought Botch sounded familiar but couldn't place it.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Primer? by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:31:01 AM EST
I thought that was just a joke about sitting around and watching the paint dry.

Wallace and Gromit is one of my all time faves. Yet, I've yet to make time to watch Curse of the Were Rabbit.

At least you only need spherical geometry and not hyperbolic geometry.

Are local codes lax enough to allow you your permit for a still? Where I live, I'm not allowed a permit under any circumstances.

Cicero, The Republic
hyperbolic geometry by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:35:59 AM EST
Points and lines RULE!!!111

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
how pure does the lamp require? by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:33:29 AM EST
IIRC single distillation without a column can only get you like 30-40% ethanol. But maybe that's enough.

40% (80 proof) is apparently enough by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:34:48 AM EST
but why do you assume this would be without a column?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
oh sweet plzpostpix &c. (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:36:03 AM EST

You're not using honey to make lamp alcohol by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:47:36 AM EST
are you? That's a waste and a crime. What's wrong with corn sugar, like real 'shiners?

Oh, that's because I'm an idiot by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:53:12 AM EST
Mrs U pointed out I could have used just plain sugar, but I was in the mode of "fermentation is a solved problem--use honey" and didn't think about it. Still, it's only a 2 liter ferment, which took only about $2 worth of honey. Also, m-i-l can drink the excess mead.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
FYI by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:03:46 AM EST
If you buy the right stuff you can brew up to around 20% even before distillation.

In entirely unrelated news, a 15 year old can host quite the week-long house party with 5 gallons of half-strength "vodka" on tap.

Anyone go blind? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:06:38 AM EST

Me, most nights, around 3:00am by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #11 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:07:58 AM EST
But that's just nature's way of telling you it's bedtime.

Too much wanking, eh? by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #13 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:25:04 AM EST
Oh right, it was the vodka.

Pff by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:15:09 AM EST
And after the nuclear bombs fall, where are you going to get the "right stuff"? You need fundamental sk1llz, yo.

We have some vodka and I was going to try out the lamp with that, but it's only 70 proof. If that's a standard, said hypothetical 15 year old would do better than half-strength.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Ah! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 05:12:41 AM EST
Number 5 is alive.

may contain nuts by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 08:09:59 AM EST

Send me to Austria!