Print Story Hunting.
Fishies
By ana (Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 10:34:41 AM EST) NaNo, hunting, music (all tags)
Tags!

This morning at coffee... But perhaps I should explain.

There's a morning coffee every morning here at 10:30. It's been going on for years; they had it when I visited here in the late 80s and it wasn't new then. Many collaborations have been started, furthered, cultivated, fucked up, and/or broken at this coffee. More than one published paper acknowledges "M. Coffee" for useful discussions. Much science gets done here; in face about half the papers on my vita since I came here are the result of collaborations that started at coffee.

This morning at coffee, everyone was looking out the same window, jockeying for position and a better view. There was a red-tailed hawk in one of the trees outside, just sitting. This is a chicken-sized bird, with majestic wings and a significant sense of presence.

Turned out, it was hunting squirrel. It made a number of ineffectual passes at a certain tree, and the target squirrel merely scampered around to the other side. The hawk on the wing was not nearly so maneuverable, so would fly on, or land on a branch.

But persistance pays off in the end; the hawk caught the squirrel, dashed down to the ground, where it dismemebered its breakfast and commenced to eat. Before long it had flown off someplace bearing the remains, in hopes, one presumes, of avoiding scavengers. I doubt there are many around in town, though crows are common enough.

I was scheduled to meet with a visitor this afternoon; he didn't show up. I got a call from the next person on the list, saying he'd turned up there instead of at my office, and I get to chat with him briefly, later. Which suits me just fine; he really wants to talk to the lead author of a paper I had only a minor role in. But he's moved on to another institution in the interim.

On Monday, I played for toxicfur a recording of a piece we're working on in Coro; it's a madrigal kind of a thing by Dufay (mid 1400s). Complicated for the sake of showing off, only. She reached over to my computer, poked the "pause" button, and allowed as how music like that is "annoying". Reminds her of all those bad Shakespeare In The Park performances. And she's right. It is annoying. I'm not sure why I'm devoting dozens of hours this winter and spring to learning this stuff. In fact, I'm thinking of dropping out of the group. Which would make me sad.

Anybody else doing NaNoEdMo?. It's National Novel Editing Month; a chance to edit those novels you wrote in November (or some other time). Since my beloved is tied up writing for work all month, I thought I'd give it a try. My NaNo could certainly use another edition, somewhat closer to the always elusive "done" status. If you're reading, I'd appreciate comments. If you're not reading, I can get you a copy.

Still casting about for a suitable Tom Waits song to try reworking and recording. Suggestions are solicited.

< The Future, Forever (Until You Die) | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hunting. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hawk by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:00:32 AM EST
We've been seeing lots of Cooper's Hawks around here lately.
Also.
Also.

We've had a few sharp-shinned hawks as well.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

Ad hawk. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:33:29 AM EST
I get it.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
I had the same thought by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:41:09 AM EST
Until I realized it was only happening in my head. Which sort of thing is making me a very bad proofreader this afternoon. Is it not Friday yet? Darn.

I ate a hegel for breakfast. --mrgoat
Things without which, death. --ana
But but by blixco (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:42:20 AM EST
he's hawking ads!
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
yes, yes by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:57:20 AM EST
And yet, to see stuff in a text that's not -- in fact -- there, is a bad, bad, thing, for me, at work, right now.

I ate a hegel for breakfast. --mrgoat
Things without which, death. --ana
Nine year old took a video of a hawk eating by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:30:34 PM EST
a sparrow outside my parents' house. She took the DVD into school for "sharing time", it made quite the impression.

Can't really see the color by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:46:41 PM EST
of the tails in those pix. It was rather noticible on the flying hawk, though; an auburn not unlike "red" hair.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Annoying to listen to, by blixco (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:37:07 AM EST
a completely different thing to sing / play.  I can't stand that goddamn Bolero piece of crap, and playing it is a nightmare, but audiences love the fucking thing.  I love, love, love playing dischordiant Explosions In The Sky-style ambient noise rock, and everyone hates listening to it, including me.

Don't quit because it's a crap thing to listen to.  Keep on because it's a wonderful thing to sing.  Complex and varying and challenging.  And not at all something you'd listen to on a drive to the beach.  And who cares?

In re: Tom Waits, I suggest "Blue Valentines," because it's a straight-up lower-east-side dead-of-night way-too-drunk Blues Tune From God, and it'd be a VERY strange thing to hear it done any other way.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

Hm. by ana (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:43:38 PM EST
It's not only annoying to listen to, it's also annoying to learn (at least for me). Like trying to read Cole Porter from sheet music. Only it also sounds annoying when you do it right (unlike Cole Porter).

The iTunes search feature is for shit. Found the 2 you mention, shall consider.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Or "Telephone Call From Istanbul" by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:38:56 AM EST
Forgot that's the one I had in mind for you.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
stuff, like by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:50:24 AM EST
I feel like we haven't had a real January and February yet (50 degree days, wtf?), and thus I am completely unprepared for the arrival of March. Meant to have collected some thoughts on your NaNo for you in time for EdMo, but, erm. I'm way behind on feedback for others, as well. However I do remember, while reading it the first time through, thinking something like, "man, do the characters in this thing drink an inordinate amount of coffee." Now I realize it is not Dischism, but realism.

As for Coro, 'twould be sad indeed if you dropped it, but that makes me all the more glad that D and I managed to catch one of your gigs before now.

I ate a hegel for breakfast. --mrgoat
Things without which, death. --ana

Dischism... by ana (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:45:33 PM EST
What a useful idea to put a name to.

Every academic I've ever met drinks gallons of coffee. Especially since the Pequod went down, and it's kosher to name the stuff after the 2nd mate thereof. Him being presumed dead and all.

Not to worry re: comments. I'm sure there'll be yet another revision someday.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

isn't it? by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:07:44 PM EST
Though I always find it disconcerting to read lists of things that writers do wrong, because I'm invariably doing several of them.

We oughta have lunch sometime after I've Cheyenned your manuscript, which would be added incentive for me to do so. Not that it's a precondition for having lunch.

I ate a hegel for breakfast. --mrgoat
Things without which, death. --ana

Lunch is good. by ana (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:39:43 PM EST
Whether or not you've ${character}ed my MS by then. I think tf and iG are swamped for the most part, but we can invite them and see what happens. The hawker of ads is welcome also, as always.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Tom Waits Song by theboz (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:46:06 PM EST
Maybe a techno version of "God's Away On Business"
- - - - -
Don't! by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 01:32:40 PM EST
Stick with the music, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

I can't speak to whatever Dufay in particular you're doing.  Is your friend's comment limited to that piece, or a general condemnation of the Renaissance in particular?  I would strongly object to the latter...the director of my church choir is also the director of this so we get lots and lots of Byrd and Palestrina and Tallis in our repertoire, and I love it.

I had a girlfriend once who described some awesome Gabrielli organ and brass music as "pretentious", and it was all downhill from there...

Sacred vs. secular by ana (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 01:44:17 PM EST
I really like the sacred music of the 1400s and 1500s (and early 1600s). In fact, I've been known to claim that the mass O Magnum Mysterium by Thomás Luis de Victoria is the apex of western civilization.

The secular music, on the other hand, is flashy for the sake of being flashy; trying to squeeze as many syllables in as possible; really complex rhythms against each other (so there's no real beat to it); often different words for different parts (even in different languages) so it can't be intelligible to any listener. Just... sheesh.

Mostly we've done sacred music from the period though, and I like it. Hearing recordings, we're not as good as we could be, though. Kinda disappointing.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

And by the way... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 01:46:57 PM EST
I really dig Palestrina and Tallis and Byrd. In fact, the Tallis mass that was sung at our wedding is one of the coolest pieces of music I've ever heard. So yeah. It's the secular stuff I don't like, in particular the stuff that really does sound like the incidental music from a Shakespeare in the Park production.
damn it, lif eis actually really *far4 too good at tghe momnent, shboyukbnt;t whilen. --Dr Thrustgood
coincidentally by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 06:37:36 PM EST
i have a palestrina in my head right now.
Send me to Austria!
Tom Waites by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:01:22 PM EST
'The Piano Has been Drinking (Not Me).'

----

We have a 12 foot cypress hedge along our rear by cam (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 04:54:57 PM EST
fence. A redtail hawk hunts along it. When it snows we actually see hawk hop prints as he goes under the hedge looking for prey. We have lots of rabbits in our development because of farms behind us. I suspect that is what he is hunting.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Can you please explain by molasses (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 03:05:17 AM EST
Tags and how to use them?

Sometimes I feel VERY behind the techological times here.

thanks!

Sure. by ana (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 04:18:34 AM EST
If you put a list of topic-type words in the "tags" blank at the bottom of the diary composition page, they show up as links at the top of the diary. Follow the links, and you get to a page with recent other diaries that also used those "tags". You have to spell them the same as everybody else did to end up on the same page, of course.

The "all tags" link at the top of each story takes you to a page with a list of all the tags people have used and how many stories used them.

The best one I've seen was Dr. Thrustgood's drunken typo diary, which created fun loving cowwqas. I have no idea what he was trying to type, but it makes me giggle.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

gimme nano! by clock (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 05:17:54 AM EST
i need stuff to read.  and i'm all about reciprocal feedback!

rock on!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

attention clock infidel by ana (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 05:31:46 AM EST
plz to check your email.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM