Print Story I try to keep an open mind.....
Music
By Gedvondur (Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 06:33:28 AM EST) (all tags)
But I think that the Black Eyed Peas have put me over the edge.

I don't listen to a lot new music these days, mostly because I find most of it unorigional.  Oh, there is the occasional piece that I find I like but for the most part, when I hear today's artists I hear crap.  Some of it even recycled crap.

This isn't just a "everything in the past was better" kind of attitude.  I just find a lot of the new music to be well......uninspired.

Irritating example inside

The Black Eyed Peas have this song out called "My Hump".

Lyrics:

I think that a 10 year old wrote this song.  I mean really.  What the fuck.  I can see a 10 year old boy walking down the sidewalk singing:

"My dick, my dick, my dick, my wiggly pee-pee stick"

How the hell did this song get published, let alone get popular?  It's lyrically stupid, musically simple, and juvinile to the extreme.

Tell me people, what the hell is wrong with popular music?  Is this similar to the height of the disco era, where redemption is right around the corner?

< on the roommating infidels | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I try to keep an open mind..... | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A mate of mine has young kids and desperately look by cam (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 06:57:51 AM EST
s for music that is fuzz pop but isnt filled with expletives or sex. One of the bands he found was Avril Lavigne. She is ok pop. It is inoffensive, has decent singing and ok fuzz guitar. But the lyrics - they are worse than Deep Purple's.

Then again as a kid I can remember singing, "Moscow, Moscow, Do you have a hair bum? No I have a russian one! Hey hey hey hey hey - hey!" to the Moscow olympics song.

SHMRB doesnt do much better. What a bunch super of wankers. So it may inter-generational.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

That won't work. by komet (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 06:59:56 AM EST
Wouldn't it be better to force-feed one's kids with this crap. Then, when they're 14, they can rebel against their parents by listening to Frank Sinatra.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
How Young Are The Kids? by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 07:06:13 AM EST
Has he tried They Might Be Giants, or is that too young?

kids were 4 and 7 by cam (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 08:19:24 AM EST
IIRC. Time gets away. he was big into indie stuff so am sure They Might Be Giants are already on his playlist. I think he was also trying to look for strong female role models in the music industry for his daughter (she is the youngest of his two kids). ie not ones that sing hump it ad-nauseum.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

What's wrong with deep purple? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 10:40:15 AM EST
Cockmonger.

Sweet Lucy was a dancer by cam (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:37:13 PM EST
and none of us would chance her
because she was a samurai

cam (rests his case)
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

You rest your case on what? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 01:05:52 PM EST
A castle of sand! I can use the very same song as a rebuttal, watch:

Sweet Lucy was a dancer,
and none of us would chance her,
because she was a samurai.

Lyrical genius!

I fucking hate that song too. by komet (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 06:58:28 AM EST
Of course, it's not the black eyed peas who are to blame but the morons who buy this stuff. Perhaps the BEP are being deliberately offensive? Perhaps they seek the destruction of the RIAA? There are sinister forces at work here.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I like that song, and bought the CD by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 07:43:34 AM EST
I agree that there music is simple and the lyrics are juvenile, but it is catchy. I like the beat. I find BEP excellent to work out to.

Oh yes by komet (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 07:50:57 AM EST
I can imagine what sort of work out you are referring to.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I suspect by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 07:08:48 AM EST
That today's musical enfants savant are not rated solely on the basis of the lyrical or musical content.  If you were to watch the accompanying video for said "song" you'd be forced to re-evaluate your position on the complete audio-visual package.

Also, you've skimmed over the deeper meaning of the lyrics, which I believe can be summarised as "I rate myself as extremely desirable and I'll let you have sexual congress with me, subject to you purchasing expensive items for my usage".  This is a dangerous message to be sending out to teenage girls who are the principal target for pop music; perhaps a better message would be "I studied really hard and passed my exams, now I'm saving for an Elizabeth Duke pendant".

In any case, I think if you were to flesh your song out a little (add 7 more lines and just repeat it all over again), with the right packaging for a newly manufactured boy band, you could be on for a big hit.

Did you know Sweden's largest earning export is their songwriters?

Re: Lady Lump Lyrics by IEFBR14 (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 03:09:56 AM EST
So it's not about breast cancer then?

well yeah by 606 (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 07:56:11 AM EST
"pop" music has always generally sucked. I mean, even though there have often been good pop songs on the charts there's usually at least one despicable earworm sitting up that practically makes you retch. But you can't just pick the worst song out of all of them and then declare the genre dead.

I listen to "indie" music, which is a fake genre that exists because it wants to distance itself from bad pop music, even though it is pop music. (Remember "alternative" music in the early 90's?) Right now there's an indie rock renaissance going on, with lots of good music being produced, and slowly regular people are taking note and popularizing the style.

You won't hear this on the radio because the radio industry has self-destructed since the mid-80's. Turn off the radio, turn on Internet radio or download CDs from Usenet, bittorrent, etc.

Next Podcast definitely has to be a "crash course in indie" podcast.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Don't listen to them. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 11:50:03 AM EST
Popular music has not always sucked.

Our standards have been raised.

When the Stones were pop, that shit rocked like no-one.  When the Beatles hit the top 25 for fifty goddamn years, no one flinched and moaned about the lack of talent or insight.  And for good goddamn reason.

Popular music was made popular by people and radio stations.  People buying records.  People making their friends listen to this or that, and then excitedly they all go out and buy the single.

You know what happened?

You know what happened.  Goddamn marketing happened.  Goddamn payola.  Goddamn white versions of black musicians.  Pat fucking Boone covering Muddy by god Waters?!?  And the radio stations selling products with music and music selling products and you know what marketing does not want?

Thought.  Because thinking slows you down.  And if you slow down, you might realize that you
don't
want
another
fucking
iPod.

And there you have it.  Popular music became jingles and nothing more.  And we moved on, as an audience, we moved ahead and started listening to Jimmy and the Doors and the whole world of rock and jazz and blues and classical and the jingles are still the same. four. chords. as always.

So why are they popular?  They are shoved down the throat of every marketing fed motherfucker who used to wake up accidentally humming the Meow Mix song.  They are intraveneously driven into the flesh of every young dumbass who doesn't have any concept of a difference between Market and I.

And that's what happened.  Pop music became a commercial for the artist to sell their image so that they can get a deal with Pepsi and never have to suck another dick.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat