Print Story Hello Arsenal, Nice to have you back!
Sport
By TPD (Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 01:42:50 AM EST) Arsenal, pwnage, Delphi, TMultiReadExclusiveWriteSychronizer (all tags)
Inside a totally impartial review of yesterdays Real Madrid game TPD is a complete arse!

Also some stuff about Delphi.

AYBABTU Tiebreak: All Your Blank Are Belong To Us

Real Pwn'd!!!!! Watched down the deathwish AKA the twelve pins AKA The deathwish (again) which is (beyond one obvious exception) the only place to watch a game like this.

Fantastic here are my player ratings (out of 10) from both teams.

Arsenal

Sergio Ramos - 0 pwn'd
Jonathan Woodgate - 0 pwn'd then injured
 Alvaro Mejia (9) - 0 pwn'd
Roberto Carlos - 0 pwn'd
Thomas Gravesen - 0 pwn'd
 Julio Baptista (76) - 0 pwn'd
David Beckham - 0 pwn'd (and we didn't even have a left back)
Guti - 0 pwn'd
Zinedine Zidane - 0 aren't you supposed to be a bit good? pwn'd by an 18 year old!
Robinho - 0 pwn'd
 Raul 63 - 0 pwn'd
Ronaldo - 0 he was playing? Pwn'd

OK so I'm a smug git and we'll probably get hammered in the return leg, but today I'm happy.

Delphi

Really!!! how hard can it be to write a TMultiReadExclusiveWriteSychronizer, it turns out not difficult at all took me 20 odd minutes to knock one up.... plus it does have the added avantage of not bloody deadlocking!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Am now getting slightly paranoid since Delphi uses TMultiReadExclusiveWriteSychronizer internally in a few places. I think the current servers should be pretty safe, but unexplained deadlocks are something I could really do without.

< Is teh Baby on his way? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hello Arsenal, Nice to have you back! | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Your guys played well... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 01:54:06 AM EST
...Fabregas had a fantastic game and I really think hes going to have a massive career.

However Real were shit. I can't see them being that shit again for another 90 minutes. Chickens, hatching etc etc.

I agree by TPD (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 02:06:34 AM EST

I'm not counting any chickens and I know it's only halftime, but even if we get completely overrun in the second leg, as a one off game beating Real at the Bernabéu is allowed to be a little special (right?)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Yes, absolutely... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 02:43:29 AM EST
...it must be one of the best club level away wins you can have and a great experience especially for the youngsters.

A begrudging well done by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 01:56:13 AM EST
Arsenal on the up again.

That was a fucking good goal.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Teh Thai Brake by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 01:59:28 AM EST
AYBABTU Tiebreak: All Your Body Are Belong To Us

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Tie break. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 02:28:20 AM EST
If all my blank are belong to you, will you please take them: I'm getting fed up of being so frigging gormless so much of the time, and now I find it's because you're dumping your surplus blankness on me.

Well done the Arse, good game by jump the ladder (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 03:00:44 AM EST
Although the more English team, having two English players on the field as opposed none, was Real Madrid...

TMultiReadExclusiveDeadlockSynchroniser by hulver (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 03:38:50 AM EST
In my experience it tends to deadlock on promoting a read lock to a write lock.

PITA.

I go the simple route now and just use critical sections. None of the code I write has that many simultaneous readers anyway.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Wow - seems Delphi is a 5GL! by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 05:25:44 AM EST
Is there a web version?  It seems it would be much faster to use Delphi's T-prefixTM technology than to actually have to code:

TMyClientWantsAWebsiteThatHasEditablePagesANewsSectionAndASecureShoppingAreaThatIsEasyToUseAndPleasingToTheEye

you don't happen to have by TPD (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 06:29:06 AM EST
any tests that highlight the issue do you?

my now slightly longer than 20 minute version seems to quite happily handle promotions now (I think), my original didn't even consider the concept of locks within locks....

We're still building with D6 here and in D6's Implementation you don't need to do anything fancy at all to experience deadlock.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Ah by hulver (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 06:39:03 AM EST
I tried it in D5, where it was a pile of shite.

I don't have any test applications left.

I did try it again in D7, but by then I'd already decided that I didn't really need multiple readers that much and critical sections would do for me.

I like to KISS, and TMREWS is definately not simple.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Indeed by TPD (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:11:29 AM EST
certainly not KISS.

Though I've been having to refactor/optimise out something that was once very heavily single threaded (by design and intent) into something that is highly concurrent....

and there's a bit of a needless bottleneck at the moment that TMREWS is a potential solution for. But I think I'm going to tackle it another way for now anyhow.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Tiebreak by Gully Foyle (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 04:43:31 AM EST
All your blood tinged mucous plug are belong to us.

Tie Break: by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 06:07:03 AM EST
All Your Expired Memes Are Belong To Us

- or -

All Your Leftover Novelty Geek Clothing Are Belong To Us

Modified tiebreak by Herring (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 08:35:34 AM EST
All Your Base are belong to a magical time when intarweb memes made millions happy. When pages were neither too wide, nor too long. When my previous employer's proxy wasn't IP banned from Slashdot.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky