Print Story I may have to do a few more.
Music
By blixco (Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 04:06:30 PM EST) fun loving cowwqas., mfc, musical fun challenge, rtfo (all tags)
OK, you MFC-ers, I've thrown down the gauntlet and thrown in the towel all at the same time!

The deadline, per popular vote, is March 18th!  In the interim, may I present you with the anti-Waits version of "Jockey Full Of Bourbon" because, really, what goddamn choice do I have??

You!  IT IS YOUR TURN TO TUNE!  Turn your extra time into music!  Submit your entry today at http://256k.org/mfcwaits/

Sincerely,
blix & co

Update [2006-2-22 21:55:5 by blixco]: I added a second file there and the link here. Also, is there a way to get $$ to 256 for hosting? Or should we give him something more sinister than dirty dirty cash? Is there anything more sinister than American money?

< What you've* all been waiting for | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I may have to do a few more. | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Whoa! by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 04:25:31 PM EST

But you were supposed to stop smoking after a Waits MFC. You should do it again after a long night out.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

I threw by blixco (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 04:35:12 PM EST
a second one up there because my voice is really fun tonight, but the guitar on that track is fucked because my fingers are tired.  So I'll probably re-record it and re-upload it once my fingers are normal.

I had to get it out, though.  Goddamn.  Short and to the point, hopefully.

---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

Oh and by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 04:36:06 PM EST
thanks!
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
After by ni (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:01:43 PM EST
finally finishing the whiskey at 10 this morning, having been drinking for 12 consecutive hours, my final words before sleeping were "My mouth feels like Tom Waits' must every day."

Think metahistorically, act locally. -- CheeseburgerBrown
Dude, that's awesome by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 02:36:11 AM EST
Just so you know, like.  Now I really need to get hold of the original for comparison.  And, y'know, to give me a starting point for recording my own song.

Recording a song you've never heard before is all fine, dandy and fun, but I did it last time so want to try something different.

I am sure itbay orrent-tay will provide.

Jockey Full of Bourbon by blixco (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 03:23:03 AM EST
jfob: I used the same chords in the same arrangement, but the original is a hip=shaking rhumba.

Hang your Head: I used a Dm-C-Am thing that I really like the sound of, and the original sounds nothing like this.  I'll be removing this track and sticking with Jockey Full Of Bourbon, but I wanted people to get an idea how far off the map they can go.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

i do it for the love of the music by 256 (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:51:11 PM EST
but, you can feel free to send drugs or hookers to:

mr. 256
seven hundred and twelve Shaw Street
toronto, ontario
M6G 3L7
canadia

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Excellent. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 12:52:17 PM EST
Though the department of homeland security will prevent me from sending any of the above, I can probably find some diversions.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
Official Notice by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Feb 25, 2006 at 02:33:32 PM EST
All hookers and drugs will be diverted through the Hooker and Drug Inspection Department, second door on the left of the main floor, for...inspection.

ypu're a chair
wow by 606 (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 11:32:40 AM EST
Are you eligable to win your own MFC? These are great!

For some reason I'd imagined you had a lower voice.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Everyone imagines that, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 11:58:53 AM EST
myself included.  My range is much higher now that I don't smoke.

And no, I shouldn't be eligible to win.  I just want people to know how far away they can get from a Waits tune...not that I want everyone going far-afield.  I think it'd kick ass if someone used everything in the kitchen to do one.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

yeah by 606 (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 01:51:11 PM EST
I'd always imagined you'd have a drunken sorta smoker's growl, but I like your voice as it is. I'll just imagine the growl when I read your writing.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Weee! by grendel (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Feb 25, 2006 at 10:20:45 AM EST
I just had a chance to really listen to your tracks. I dig them.

Cool, thanks. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Feb 25, 2006 at 10:24:58 AM EST
Glad ya like 'em.  I'm going to pull one of them off next week, just stick with Jockey Full of Bourbon.

But yeah, thanks!
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Great voice blixco by cam (4.00 / 1) #15 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 02:22:43 PM EST
I am teh jealous. I am going to shout a chorus to make myself feel better.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Thanks, man. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 02:57:38 PM EST
I think this will be a damn fine MFC.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Waits by calla (4.00 / 2) #17 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 09:17:06 PM EST
A friend said this:

"You can tell a lot about person from what they think of Tom Waits. He's one of those love-'em-or-hate-'em artists, and the great divide between us and them is invariably Waits' worn-out shoe of a voice. If you like your singers to sound like a shiny new sneaker, you've come to the wrong place."

It's a nice summary.

Yes. by motty (4.00 / 1) #18 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 03:49:39 PM EST
Yes you may. Please do, in fact.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Let me amplify by motty (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Mar 19, 2006 at 05:45:34 PM EST
You sound like the guy John Martyn is trying to sound like. I wish I could sing like you. Please sing more. I'll add the word 'motherfucker' if that helps.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T