Print Story New Music Fun Challenge.
Music
By blixco (Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 03:41:03 AM EST) mfc, music fun challenge, fun loving cowwqas., rtfo (all tags)
It's time once again.  Get yer chops in order, get yer strings and reeds tuned, and be ready to nearly rtfo.  Because this time, ladies and gentlemen, we're going to be a bit less rock and a little more roll.

There's a singer / songwriter out there who has done everything.  He's composed music for soundtracks and theater, he's written top 40 hits for everyone from Rod Stewart to The Eagles.  Barry Manilow covered a couple of his tunes in the mid-80's at his show in Vegas.

He's also been given awards for best alternative album, best blues album, and best songwriting in a popular album.

He's also an actor and inventor, and his albums often contain sounds from instruments he has either invented or resurrected.  Probably the most significant instrument in his repetoire and one that defined his sound over several albums was a steam powered calliope.

With credits like that, I could only be talking about Tom Waits.

And now, you'll be covering him in spirit, intent, or actual songs.  It's up to YOU to make a Tom Waits track.

What I expect: there's very little chance that you'll do a straight-up cover of a Tom Waits tune unless you have a garage full of toys and at least one piano you don't mind destroying.  What I expect, then, is an interpretation of Tom Waits via your ability.  You may be quite good at heavy metal guitar; I expect that can translate fiercely on a tune such as Downtown Train.  You might be a crooner, and for that you can choose just about any of the songs that don't deal directly with mules.  You're a percussionist and you can't sing?  Telephone Call From Instanbul is for you.  Pretty good cook?  Ever think about using an electric mixer in a series of metal bowls as an instrument in a song about a Cuban jail?

In fact, I expect that everyone here knows a Waits tune that they've been dying to do, but haven't had the guts to.  Well, here's your gut check.

It's time to do it.

I haven't hammered out the hosting details with 256 yet, since I wanted to get the announcement written before I ran out of free time.  Hey 256: can you add detail in a comment, I can update the story later?  Hosting ability certainly isn't needed right this second, you have plenty of time.

OK?  Sounds good?

Then get yer Waits on, you rats.  The deadline will be decided by the poll in this story.

Update [2006-2-22 20:58:57 by blixco]: March 18th, have everything loaded to http://256k.org/mfcwaits if you wish to participate.

Update [2006-2-26 20:4:1 by blixco]: Also, user cam has an album cover challenge to round this MFC out. If you have the artistic chops to stand against the best HuSi has to offer...then what the hell are you doing here? But since you are, please submit album covers to the judging thread when it gets posted.

< FO' PUZZOL MY NUZZOL | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
New Music Fun Challenge. | 66 comments (66 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
it is ready by 256 (4.00 / 4) #1 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 05:56:28 AM EST
and now with DELETION

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

You are literally by blixco (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:36:20 AM EST
the best person in Canada.
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
Haha, it's funny because it's true. [nt] by debacle (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:46:57 AM EST

Go away. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 09:33:22 AM EST
This is the Cheeseburger Brown fan club.

Cheeseburger brown never sent me a novel by debacle (4.00 / 1) #37 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:22:48 AM EST
For free, that I have read while giving bowel movements no less than twelve times.

There are at least 16 ways of parsing that by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #42 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 02:31:37 AM EST
I have no idea how to do so, but I'm assuming that you've been to the toilet at least twelve times, so at least I can rule that one out.

I shall be entering by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #2 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:05:16 AM EST
I shall also have to do some research first.

Likewise, I'm sure. by ana (4.00 / 3) #3 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:07:41 AM EST
I'd also be open to collaborations.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Which... by ana (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:12:38 AM EST
is a polite way of trying to say I'm pretty sure I've never heard of him. Suggestions?

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Listen to by blixco (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:49:59 AM EST
anything from Frank's Wild Years, Raindogs, Mule Variations....good lord, all of it is good.

I mean, you can't go wrong with lyrics like this.  And that's a straight jazz tune!

Or the immortal by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 09:57:16 AM EST
how about the famous by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #36 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:22:26 AM EST
I'm glad by molasses (4.00 / 1) #43 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 05:28:45 AM EST
I'm not the only one.

Well, I have hear OF him, but not much By him.  Although I'm sure I've heard stuff, I dind't know it was him.

well there ya go... by 606 (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:12:27 AM EST
Giving me a reason to go buy that microphone I was looking at...

-----
imagine dancing banana here
I broke a string last week by cam (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:32:20 AM EST
now I have to restring the bloody guitar... then again could just do a bass only one.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Bass and cheese grater. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:42:47 AM EST
Bass and broken guitar string vs. a tin can!  THINK OUTSIDE THE BOXES!

[boxes] -> cam
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

OK you get bass and broken guitar by cam (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:45:53 AM EST
Yep. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:43:14 AM EST
Or just get an old headphone and a rusty tin can, and make yer own, damnit.
nah by 606 (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:57:19 AM EST
I want my Musique Concrete to be properly mixed.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Bagsy '30.06' or 'Tango til they're sore' [nt] by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:53:14 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Hell yeah. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:46:48 AM EST
Need me a mule, too.
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
I don't think I'll be able to stomach it. by calla (4.00 / 3) #12 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:00:26 AM EST
I've heard Waits covers before - they sucked.

I just love the guy too much...

please by TPD (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:04:58 AM EST
not to be listening to my entry -  k thnx!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
No-one by blixco (4.00 / 2) #19 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:46:22 AM EST
can cover him.  It's not possible.  Too much going on.

So we'll be doing homages, or imitations, or completely new arrangements.  But feel free to not listen.
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

'Sucking' is the point. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #22 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:51:02 AM EST

We need to do it for the sake of future web generations, so they can look back and say, "They tried it once; it cannot be done."

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
You ain't heard them all by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #51 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 07:16:23 AM EST
There's gotta be a decent one amongst these:

Patty Smith, Tim Buckley, Blind Boys of Alabama, Screamin Jay Hawkins?

Not all - but most of them. by calla (2.00 / 0) #53 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:24:40 AM EST
Everyone loves to cover Tom's songs. The songs are great. But I haven't heard one that I can say I enjoy.

Much research needed by The Fool (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:08:54 AM EST
That is, I have never heard anything by Tom Waits except Rod Stewart's version of "Downtown Train".

(That is a Tom Waits tune, right?)

Yep. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:45:30 AM EST
Just check out tabs and lyrics.  Look into some of the more musical, less crazy stuff.

Or go the other route.  "What's he building in there....?"
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

Somebody could do a pop version by calla (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:57:51 AM EST
of "what's he building in there..."

Or maybe not.

YUO! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 10:00:19 AM EST
Seriously.  You and dave...oh my god!  Just do it straight up, Dave making bizarre noises in the kitchen with, like, powertools and cats and you reciting the lines.

HOLY COW that would work.

ZOMG! by calla (4.00 / 1) #32 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 10:35:25 AM EST
Give me the speech "anybody can make fun of something they've never tried."

I never got that speech from my folks. I've heard it's good.

No, look, I'm serious! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #33 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:00:02 AM EST
Y'all both could seriously do a great goddamn job of that tune.  Send the raw files to someone who has garageband or the like, and we'll mix 'er down.  It would make sense and be beautifully cool.
Just so you know by calla (4.00 / 1) #34 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:10:46 AM EST
He's gonna come home tonight all fired up about this.

He's gonna give me grief because Mule Variations is in storage.

We'll have to download it from iTunes.

We'll listen to it over and over.

He'll try it a few times, only to decide that his voice is too pretty for the song.

He's gonna make me scream until my voice is raw - then I'll get to do the song.

He'll accompany me on our wok and frying pan.

See, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #35 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:21:15 AM EST
I hear your voice, not his, for that song.  He needs to be the devious fucker in the background and we're all wondering: what's ammo_dave doing in there?

What's he building in there?

See?  See how well it fits?
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

I've always said you were God. by calla (4.00 / 1) #38 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:34:01 AM EST
Creating reality with your will.

Just more evidence to prove my theory.

I'm working on him. by calla (4.00 / 1) #48 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 11:28:30 PM EST
I might be able to get him to do "I Wish I Was In New Orleans (In The Ninth Ward)" or "Please call me, baby".

I'm rooting for "Please call me, baby"

Urgh.. by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:18:17 AM EST
If I ever heard a Tom Waits song it was by accident. This'll give me a chance to do some research and expose myself to something new.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Treat it like by blixco (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:43:00 AM EST
the blues.  Seriously, find stuff he's written for other people.  "Old '55" by the Eagles (civered by Sarah MacLachlan) is pretty good.
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
This is the single best idea in the by ni (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 08:02:40 AM EST
history of humanity.

Think metahistorically, act locally. -- CheeseburgerBrown
You know what's good about this one? by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #28 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 09:59:25 AM EST
This is actually made for slide whistle and kazoo.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
Everything by blixco (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 10:02:15 AM EST
about this is good.  But yeah: bring on the bedsprings and vaccuum cleaners!  The pots, pans, and kazoos!  The plastic recorders and turntables!  Hell yeah!
And the whisky by ad hoc (4.00 / 4) #31 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 10:04:49 AM EST
That there's a bad by grendel (4.00 / 1) #39 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 04:17:37 PM EST
scary thing you've just suggested. I'm all for it. If someone tells me how to record decently nto my PC I'll even try to contribute. And you know how much musical talent I have.
-G

You have a sound card. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #40 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 04:26:24 PM EST
Buy a microphone.  Then download a free audio program like Audacity, which will allow you to do multi-track recording.

Then go fucking nuts.

OK. by grendel (4.00 / 1) #41 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 04:39:36 PM EST
So I do have a sound card. Just consider yourself warned. This will only end badly. I guarantee I'll have fun though.
-G

So what if by molasses (4.00 / 1) #44 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 05:31:13 AM EST
you can't play an instrument but can sing?  Will you accept accapella renditions?

Hum.  I don't know much by him, but I'm up for a challenge.

Acapella is just fine! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #45 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 05:37:18 AM EST
And you can form an alliance with someone who is recording multi-track, has instruments, and no voice!
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
Find me one of those by molasses (4.00 / 1) #46 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 08:25:15 AM EST
and I'm game!

Any takers???

When I record something I can send you the mp3 by cam (2.00 / 0) #49 Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 02:18:12 PM EST
or tracks without music and you can sing over the top of it if you like. What recording software do you have?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I've got garage band. by molasses (2.00 / 0) #54 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 01:01:07 PM EST
I'm assuming that works?  :)

We've got a mic and little mixer, too.  Rizzo is doing podcasts so we're set up for that.

Let me know if you've got a song in mind and i'll see if i can get a copy to start listening to.  Admittingly, I'm a little traditional when it comes to sticking close to the song, but i'm willing to try something "out of the box" if it's not too crazy.

I know, lame.  LOL!

No worries by cam (2.00 / 0) #55 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 06:39:25 PM EST
I use garageband too, so when i do something I will put a tarball of it up for you to download and you can do what you want with it. I am not precious about it.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

SWEET! by molasses (2.00 / 0) #56 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 01:28:40 PM EST
Tanks!  Lemme know!

I might like... by ana (2.00 / 0) #57 Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:59:00 PM EST
trying this, also. If you don't mind.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

No worries ana by cam (2.00 / 0) #58 Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 04:23:59 AM EST
all the garageband tarballs are available for all superhappy songs. I dont recall care who mixes/mashes them up.

I plan on having a genuien go at a Tom Waits song as well as doing a super happy version.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I just got a hard on for this MFC by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #47 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 09:34:02 PM EST
A big spectacular erection. This is good timing because my bass will be back in my posession soon and I just bought a jaw harp! Me, my cheapest guitar, my bass, my jaw harp, cheap wine, and you just may get a rendition of Coattails of a Dead Man....or maybe Waltzing Matilda. I've got a good feeling about this one. Hope to hell I find time!

you can now upload album covers by 256 (4.00 / 4) #50 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 06:06:25 AM EST
at http://256k.org/mfcwaits

i have taken the liberty of uploading TPDs as a test case.

the main page will display a random album cover, though that will not be evident until at least one more is uploaded.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

You rock. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #52 Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 07:21:33 AM EST
As you are well aware by this time.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
well, it's done by 256 (4.00 / 2) #59 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 02:51:12 PM EST
misslake and i have uploaded our duet

Hold On
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I like. by ana (2.00 / 0) #60 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 03:41:55 PM EST
Interesting contrast of vocals. And stuff.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Hot damn. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #61 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 04:22:27 PM EST
That is excellent.  Really, truly goddamn great stuff.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
I somehow made an entry by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #62 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:22:24 AM EST
I'm not really sure how. It just happened. I'm pretty sure it was an accident.

So far Blixco and SMUT's entries are my top 2 picks. misslake's voice makes me melt.

Oh I know. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #63 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:32:36 AM EST
She comes in with that chorus, and it just kills me.  And such a great contrast to 256's verse vocals.  Really a perfect song.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
guitar noodle entry with voice over by TPD (4.00 / 1) #64 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 01:13:51 AM EST
inspired by "The Piano has been drinking (not me)" (very very loosely), took roughly twice as long to create as it takes to play (because I can't record the guitar and my voice at the same time).

Very Poor!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

I hope that I don't fall in love with you by ana (4.00 / 2) #65 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 04:49:23 AM EST
My vocals over cam's guitar are posted, in the usual place. Hope you like.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Entry updated [nt] by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #66 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 05:38:46 AM EST

New Music Fun Challenge. | 66 comments (66 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback