Print Story I still have your cat, send cat food
By duxup (Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 10:45:46 AM EST) roof, photography, videogames (all tags)
Topics:

A Light in The Attic (with photo)
Gimie 30D
New Mario Brothers Game (platformer)

A Light in The Attic

I live in a two story townhouse.

The area under the roof is quite large. Depending on whom you ask you get a different theory as to what if anything is under the roof. Is it empty space with some insulation? Are there divisions between houses, or just half the houses?

Anyway I was thinking about this and how much potential storage space is up there. Now I’m sure someone wouldn’t like it if I up and accessed the roof, but even so I wonder what is up there. I can’t be the only one who thought about this my association, and there is an attic access panel (painted, and no doubt insulated over) in my utility room . . .

I imagine there are three possibilities if I open the panel:

First, that I will open it and discover nothing at all.

Second, that I will open it and discover a number of wires coming from one of the houses to each of the other houses and the associated x10.com products.

Third, that I will open the panel only to discover my neighbors staring thru the hole back at me, congratulating me on my discovery asking me to join them for a smoke.

I’m too much of a wuss to try any of them.

Gimie 30D

Gimmie! Gimmie! Gimmie!. Yeah it’s not a big change over the 20D but I still want it. The 300D / Digital Rebel I have now is a great camera but being able to change the ISO thru the viewfinder without looking at the stupid LCD every time would be nice and the 300D’s plastic case over time has worn into a somewhat slippery surface.

I’ve promised myself that if I have enough cash I can buy one later this year but with the fiancé’s laptop and a honeymoon on the horizon it doesn’t seem likely the new camera will happen anytime soon.

New Mario Brothers

I like my Nintendo DS a great deal already. A new Mario Brother’s platformer due in May wasn’t necessary but I’m looking forward to it none the less.
< Calling all web designers and freelancers | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I still have your cat, send cat food | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I recommend watching The Grudge by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 10:52:00 AM EST
before investigating any attic areas.

I simply cannot by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:01:59 AM EST
wait for Age of Empires on the DS.  That, and today I saw that they are making a mechwarrior for it.  I think it's hilarious how a $150 handheld is making the X-Box 360 look like a goddamn chump.

If you dont already have it, advance wars on the DS is very nice.

Oh, and what you don't know is that my cat is really a Trojan Cat which will soon unleash my army to plunder the secrets of the storage space in your.....AW CRAP, I TOLD YOU THE SECRET.

----

DS by duxup (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:24:19 AM EST
Yeah the DS has been rocking and it seems like it will continue to do so.  On top of putting most home consoles to shame it makes the expensive Sony PSP look bad too.

I've been playing Age of Empires on the DS the last few days.  It plays well, but has a couple presentation issues.  The first is that the map doesn't scroll nearly fast enough.  Second that the angle that the map is presented makes identifying units a bit odd.

Also the AI plays a lot like the Age of Empires RTS PC game, so it presents a challenge but unlike the Advance Wars games it never feels (at least as far as I’ve played) that you’re really being pushed to come up with a great strategic response.  That’s not a bad thing but at times it’s too easy to hold up the enemy and just create massive numbers of units and then attack (a lot like the PC RTS games).  Again not a bad thing, but it does feel a bit less tactically intense compared to Advance Wars.

Even so I’m enjoying AOE.

I really liked the Advance Wars games.   I was pleased that the Advance Wars game for the DS was a bit less difficult than the previous GBA games.   The GBA games were great but sometimes the AI was so powerful that I felt it was a puzzle game and you had to find the only way to win and one mess up and you’re dead.  At least in Advance Wars: DS you could make a small mistake and most of the times recover.

And your cat is braver than I.
____

Effective game marketing by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:52:41 AM EST
See, the thing is that I'd never played advance wars before, and now I want to pick up the GBA versions because of the DS version.  Glad to hear AoE is playable.  In many ways, I'm looking at that one as 'well, until they actually port civ 2 to the DS (which is rumored to be happening), this will be as close as I'll get to port-a-civ'.

Metroid pinball rocks so much, I really hope more people jump on the pinball train for the DS.  I'm also looking forward to metroid: hunters.

And I will happily go on record stating that Trauma Center:  Under the knife is goddamn addictive crack.

To me, it looks more and more like Sony wants the PSP not to be a gaming rig.  Both systems had a weak start gamewise, but the DS has more than picked up the slack, and is beating consoles for my money.  The PSP on the other hand seems to just be a portable movie player in Sony's world.  Sorry, but I'm not gonna buy $30 PSP-only movies.  Now if the bundled the PSP movie with the DVD for a flick, I'm gonna be interested, but otherwise, I'll just watch the DVD on the laptop, and throw all my money happily at nintendo.

----

Just wait until you can browse HuSi on your DS by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:10:37 PM EST
I hear that's not until July, though.

I love my DS, but every store I visit seems to have a glaring lack of games for the system.

Any suggestions? So far I've only played Castlevania (which was pretty sweet).

See my above suggestions for games by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:15:33 PM EST
but here's a list of what I have so far (got the DS at XMas)

Nintendogs
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Super Mario 64 DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Metroid Pinball
Mario Kart DS

Of these, I havent really played Mario yet, all others get very high marks for dual screen use. and fun gameplay.

if you have a buddy within DS to DS wireless range, Mario Kart is pure heroin laced with crack and a side of extra crack.

Oh, and as for the web on the DS, there's also the TV tuner coming soon.

----

Indeed by duxup (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:16:49 PM EST
Metroid Pinball, and Trauma Center . . . dang it I still haven’t played either of those.  Let alone Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (I don’t think it is even available anymore argh). This system is insane in terms of the number of unique and fun games for the price.

I agree that Sony so far has blown it with the PSP.  They certainly wanted the PSP to be some sort of “lifestyle device” and in the process seemed to forget about the games. Seemingly like all multi function portable devices the PSP does well with its primary purpose as a gaming machine, and with movies the problem is exactly as you noted, you have to rebuy movies in the UMD format that cost more than most DVDs . . . yay?   Even if you don’t have a laptop there are DVD players out there that can play a heck of a lot more movies in DVD format for much cheaper.

Then comes the fact that it plays MP3s, well that’s cool but after spending $300 smackers you’re supposed to go out and buy a big memory stick to hold those MP3s . . .  eek.

Nintendo upped the base price for their portable devices compared to the GBA and GBA:SP for the extra power the DS has but it is still reasonably priced and they managed to put together a great lineup of games.  Sony on the other hand has had the PSP pull off some impressive games, but mostly it seems like a dumping ground for poor quality PS1 ports and Sony themselves don’t seem to be doing much in terms of first party support to fix that.

When I saw the PSP and DS introduced I honestly didn’t think that I’d even be picking up either of them.  While I still can’t see myself buying a PSP, I couldn’t imagine being without my DS.  As for the 360 and PS3, I'll wait until they have some fun games and the price drops and enjoy my current systems.

With prices the way they are I wonder if the portable gaming world might grow just due to the increased prices in the console gaming world.  I think if they can keep up the games for systems like the DS they might.

____

Exactly by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:22:31 PM EST
That, and the DS forces game designers to be creative as opposed to 'lets make the same game...but uh....smaller.'  The PSP has a beautiful screen, but nothing else to compel me (especially since GTA; Liberty City Stories is gonna come out for the ps2).  The 360 has no breakthrough amazing titles as far as I'm concerned.

The only next-gen console that gets me going big time is the Revolution.  The possibilities with that controller make me giddy like a 1980s schoolgirl who just got a Tiger Beat subscription.  That console is gonna get my cash long before the 360 or PS3.

As for mp3s your point is valid, coupled with the fact that these days my underwear can play mp3s.

Check eBay for Phoenix Wright.  Used versions are going for mucho cash, but I hear it's a great game.

----

I have just had by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #15 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:41:20 PM EST
the most brilliant DS game idea ever.

Mario Curling DS.

Oh man, I think my head just exploded.

----

And you know it would be AWESOME! by duxup (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:47:29 PM EST
OH MAN!
____
OH MAN OH MAN by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:51:45 PM EST
the upper screen shows the full extent of the arena, and the rocks progression through it, the lower screen shows right above the rock, and you use the stylus to broom!  You can even use the microphone to yell commands to the AI!

I MUST PATENT THIS IDEA NOW!!!111one

----

: O by duxup (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:53:57 PM EST
Just :O

:O

:O

:O
____

oh hot damn by theantix (4.00 / 2) #23 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 02:26:22 PM EST
If the sweepers would broom based on your intensity of yelling, I would probably orgasm.

You want Advanced War for the GBA? by theboz (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:08:26 AM EST
I've got it, and I don't play it. I've been thinking about taking my GBA and all of the games in to one of those video game shops and getting ripped off. I've probably got about 10 games or so. I may even have AW 2, but I forgot.
- - - - -
perhaps by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:47:25 AM EST
Let me finish AW for the DS first, or my brain will explode from multi-tasking.  I appreciate the offer though.

----

Fear not! I am Procrastinator! by theboz (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 09:35:01 AM EST
Autobot leader of putting things off for later. I've started to compile all my stuff to sell on ebay/donate/throw away/give away, but it will probably be a while before I actually do anything with it.
- - - - -
Cool! by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 09:38:20 AM EST
Can you make that 'ur-eek-ooch-oo-nyer' transformation sound?  That shit is DOPE.

----

No by theboz (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 10:09:02 AM EST
Mine sounds like farting.
- - - - -
I salute thee, Captain Wrong-O! by theboz (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 06:58:27 AM EST
Oh, you mean you can now play games like Grand Theft Auto on the DS? No? How about a Katamari Damacy game coming out in the near future? Yes, I heard it was coming out for the DS, but oh wait, what's this? It was just a rumor, oh well. At least you have SSX, right? No? Hmmm...oh, I see. You have Elf Bowling, Snood 2, and Pokemon Dash. Well, don't worry. At least you got two screens. That's cutting edge technology, it's not like they came up with the idea back when Atari was popular, right?
- - - - -
Attention Crazy Man! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:10:47 AM EST
Your post has been detected as at worst a very weak troll, and at best a generally uninformed post.  Stop worrying about your pricy PSP and buy a DS and have some fun.
____
Actually I don't have a PSP by theboz (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:17:38 AM EST
I just wanted to give you a hard time. Additionally, if I were in your shoes, I would have responded with something to the effect of, "Yeah, I do actually have all of those games. On my PS2!" I have no intention of buying either system actually, and I expect that my next PDA will be able to play emulators of both of them, since I already can play PS1 and GBA games, it's only a matter of time.
- - - - -
PDA + Gaming by duxup (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:23:36 AM EST
The thing is I participate far too much on gaming related forums to where I just ignore those kinds of comments, let alone have the urge to respond to them.  There are too many 14 year olds on the net threatened by other people saying they’re having a good time ;)

I just wish someone would come out with a nice PDA / Gaming device.  They’re two portable devices that seem like they’d actually be easy to put together.  Sure it would be a bit larger than most PDAs, but with a big pretty screen . . . who cares?  I know I’d buy it.

Yes some people have tried the PDA / Gaming Device combo, but when it comes to gaming it is hard to really break into it with monsters like Nintendo, MS, and Sony hanging around.  One day I hope someone will pull it off.

____

Actually by theboz (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:27:32 AM EST
My iPaq does gaming decently, the only complaint I have is that the buttons suck on mine. A guy I used to work with had a Toshiba or some other company's PDA, and it was great with nice round buttons like you would expect for gaming. He even put a 4GB hard drive in it out of a cheap MP3 player, as well as a 1GB SD card, and he stored lots of ROMs and MP3s on it. Mine has a much better resolution than his, and I've also used it to watch movies (I have software to shrink DVDs down easily to watch on there) too, and I'm happy with it. Unfortunately, Windows Mobile 2003 is about as stable as Windows 95 was, so I'm hoping to upgrade with my next PDA and expect to find a more stable OS in the future.
- - - - -
lifting the attic-access panel by 256 (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:08:13 AM EST
that i discovered in the closet at my parents house was one of the best decisions i ever made as a child.

i cannot recommend this course of action strongly enough.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I demand a memoir-vignette! $ by debacle (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:12:45 PM EST

Attic Space by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:10:22 AM EST
There should be a firewall between your unit and the neighbours that extends from basement to roof.  In Massachusetts new construction of adjacent units are required to have the firewall extend one foot above the roof line.  Insurers can and have refused to insure existing townhouses and duplexes for not having this requirement.

---------------
Interesting by duxup (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:32:31 AM EST
Well my townhouse is just a bit over 6 years old, so I’m guessing there very well be a firewall up to the top.  In fact someone actually intentionally lit one of the townhouses in my area on fire a year or so ago using accelerants in the house (the culprit was nice enough to let the dog out of the house first).  The neighboring houses got some water damage but the firemen said that the firewalls held.

I just smiled and nodded as I wasn’t sure what the significance was but it sounded good.  The firemen were only talking to me because most everyone in my neighborhood is younger and everyone works, so I being the lone resident they could find was the one to receive the rundown by the very excited firemen who finally got to use the ladder on their truck for a real life fire.

____

6 years old by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #33 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 07:29:58 AM EST
I don't think there are many places in the civilized world that would allow a townhouse to be built in the last fifteen years with out a firewall.  I would be absolutely shocked if you're firewall didn't go to the roof.  I also doubt that there is an insurer that would cover your home with out one.

---------------
Does it need to be a stateful firewall? by ShadowNode (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:36:21 AM EST
networking technology

Yes. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 03:28:38 AM EST
You can't just filter packets anymore!
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
I just loaded the Canon link by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:32:46 PM EST
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I WANT THAT LENS.  85mm f1.2.......

----

That lens looks like it 0WNS by duxup (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:51:33 PM EST
The price owns too . . . $2100 eeek.

I love the line of that article Canon f/1.2 ideal for portraits and low light.  85mm, f1.2. Portraits and low light? really?  I would have never thought of using it for that :P
____

The number one lens by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:53:33 PM EST
I use, without a doubt, is my 85mm, but it sure as hockey sticks aint a 1.2.  My arm hurts even thinking about lugging that beast around, but oh lordy the images....

----

f1.2?!? by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #25 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 03:51:04 PM EST
Wouldn't the depth of field be, I dunno, measured in millimeters?

I like having a soft focus on my portraits, but that's nuts!

open panel, find nothing by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 01:11:27 PM EST
for a minute i thought you expected total nothingness...like a black hole or something.
Send me to Austria!
I found one of those once by duxup (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 01:14:50 PM EST
Unfortunately it was inside someone who I was thinking of marrying.  I was exceptionally fortunate that circumstances prevented me from doing so.

Perhaps there is one in my attic as well . . . they say you never know until you look . . .
____

Town home attics by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 03:36:02 PM EST
The good news - the space over your head is almost certainly yours; unless you live in a development where the roof is considered "common property" (I know of a place like that) I'm sure that your attic is divided from the other attics.

The bad news - the space over your head is almost certainly unusable for storage. See, in the old days, the would frame your roof with 2x12s or 2x16s, leaving a big clear (if triangular) room under the roof. These days, your roof is held up by series of Sierpinski-ish triangles made of 2x4s. They are certainly strong - but these framing triangles occur every 18 or 24 inches - and there's no floor under them - just the exposed ceiling joists, which are at right angles to the roof supports.

Basically, to store anything up there you would have to be a skinny little spider dude who like to hang his prey stuff from fractal framing materials.