Print Story I regret that I have but one blog to give for my country
Photos
By Bob Abooey (Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 04:45:36 AM EST) Fish (all tags)
The B.A.D.2006

Today, a very special photo journalistic tribute to Presidents day...

See, the thing is, I've been waiting for my last tetra, Herald, to buy the farm so I can move to some semi- aggressive fish, namely some cold blooded killing African Cichlids. Right.

But, as Herald has been living alone for the past 6 months, while showing no signs of kicking the proverbial bucket, I decided to just throw caution to the proverbial wind and just get the new fish while letting Herald fend for himself. So thusly did I venture out Saturday to the pet store and buy me some various assorted African Cichlids. Young-uns, all of them, but rest assured these are some bad fish. Killers. Indeed, Al Keda quakes in there boots when they think about facing these fish in a dark alley.

So, without any more further ado here are the pictures of the new fellers and felletes.

This is my favourite one, which means he'll probably be dead when I get home from work today, cause God is always trying to spite me, but anyways there he is peeking out of his cave. He's rather handsome for a ruthless killer, eh? Actually I got two of the blue ones so if God strikes one dead I'll still have the other.

This guy is cool too, I get the feeling he's going to be the most baddest of them all cause he swims around real slow and cool-like. I've already named him Dick, after our VP.

This little fella is actually a fellete, according to the helpful sales lady. Sadly she has a spot of ich on her back bottom fin, but not to worry, I dumped a bunch of ich killing stuff in the tank so with any luck I got it early enough. That ich stuff is a pain.

This one has me kinda worried. He's real small and isn't social at all. Either he's still freaked out about moving to a new tank or he's just bashful or he's near death. Time will tell.

Here's another shot of Dick, swimming around looking for someone to club to death.

And lastly here's a group shot. You can see Herald swimming all by himself in the upper right hand corner. They haven't messed with him at all, but I'm guessing that might change if he's still around as they start to get bigger.

So there you have it. Other than the ich they seem to be adjusting real well to their new home, this morning they were eating those little pellets like crazy, which is a good sign.

< Am I a grown-up yet? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I regret that I have but one blog to give for my country | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
+1FP, fish by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 04:49:10 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

That yellow one with the black stripes by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 3) #2 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 04:50:02 AM EST
He has the look of a fish that would shoot his best friend in the face.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Right by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 04:57:59 AM EST
That's why I'm not going to put any guns in the tank. I don't need them getting all liquored up and making a mess but shooting up the place.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

It makes me wonder by joh3n (4.00 / 4) #4 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 05:07:16 AM EST
If, years from now, when people get shot on hunting trips, they explain it to each other as "Well I was there, and I had the buck lined up real good, yup, then Merle had to go and ruin it all by giving me the Cheney right in the leg."

----

I didn't know you were another by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 05:07:25 AM EST
one of those fish folks.. That's a meme/hobby almost as infective as biking here...

Nice to see you're putting the holiday to good work as well. OMM gives ya the day off too ?

Anyway, Bob, please keep your kinky fish "fellat[ion]ing" to your self.

Yeah by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:16:22 AM EST
It's supposed to lower your blood pressure I think.

Actually I got the whole setup in trade about 10 years ago  when I did some computer work for the guy who owned Fish Emporium Unlimited. I made out like a bandit, he gave me a 40 gallon tank with state of the tank art crap (at that time) for just a few hours "work."

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

The stripey one. . . by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 05:15:12 AM EST

I used to have a whole tank dedicated to them. And you're right, they are bad-asses. Totally vicious. They'll gut a family member for eating the flakes before they fall from the surface.

But, funny thing. They're really only vicious towards their own kind. That slow patrol you've described is the only action I ever saw when I had one that went on time-out into one of my other tanks for bad behavior. Around other fish, they just give the cold stare. But put them in with another that looks like them? Holy hell. The only fish I ever had that was more vicious than those were the red jewels I picked up on a lark before I knew enough to keep them out of an African lake setup. Those guys would kill ANYTHING in the tank with them. Even things twice their size.

I don't even have an aquarium anymore. My wife said she wouldn't let me get a shark, so it seems kind of pointless, you know?

The sales lady told me by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:11:34 AM EST
The cichlids are most aggressive against the opposite  sex of their own kind. Not sure how mother nature worked that one out but there must be a reason there.

I can't wait until these get big enough to feed them live crickets!! Live crickets for crimeny sakes!!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Crickets? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:32:38 AM EST
Cichlids eat goldfish.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Not Africans. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:34:58 AM EST

Africans are the runts of the cichlid litter. They'll eat feeder guppies though. Raise your own. Never trust feeder guppies from the shop. They have bad air-intakes, flakey exhaust systems and all kinds of other problems.

Some do by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #11 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:36:03 AM EST
Oscars are African, IIRC. They'll eat anything. Pizza, even.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Qualification: by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:40:43 AM EST

African lake cichlids are smaller than the average cichlid. And I'm pretty certain Oscars are South American. I seem to recall this because I had at one time a plan to make a South American only big-ass tank that had Oscars as the pinnacle species.

i want by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:28:14 AM EST
some more african river cichlids. my pair died. pooh.
Send me to Austria!
I'm more the South American type. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:31:07 AM EST

For one, it's what I grew up wishing I had enough room to do right. And for two, because I like the lazy-slow movements they typically do, right before they rip across the tank to attack one of their housemates. Completely different dynamic from the Africans I've seen, with their constant zipping around.

my south american by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:42:57 AM EST
tank is going well. when we moved, and the fish were with a friend for a week, i replaced about half the gravel with laterite, and i now have a healthy and growing population of swordplants and grasses. i've got rams for the bottom, swordtails for all over, angelfish for the middle. i want to find a smaller schooling fish to put in there. my original thought was black neons, but now i'm pondering zebrafish. however, i fear my angels will kill them...got any ideas?
Send me to Austria!
Not particularly. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:56:39 AM EST

Though I do think Zebras tend to have problems with Angels. Zebras just aren't that fast moving. You can get by with smaller schooling fish in Angel tanks if they are quick, but unless the tank has all kinds of room Zebras can have troubles.

Most of my South American/Central American knowledge centers around fish that are big enough/aggressive enough to be able to live with Oscars in the tank. So I'm not too good with smaller community fish.

OH CRAP! by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:58:48 AM EST

I wish we could edit comments. That'd be far more helpful than editing diaries.

Anyway, I forgot GIANT ZEBRAS! Big enough to not get swallowed whole by Angels. At least, once they've grown up a bit. I had a big bunch of giant zebras in a tank with Jack Dempseys way back when, and Dempseys have bigger mouths than Angels. Never seemed to cause too much of a problem, and they were great dither fish. It calmed the Dempseys considerably to have a group of other fish out in the open. Before that the Dempseys were just jumping around the tank any time someone was in the room, going nuts trying to find a way to hide fast.

the swords helped with that by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 10:56:19 AM EST
though my angels dont rush to hide, they rush to beg for food. the swords also help to smooth territory disputes. maybe i'll try giant danios, see what happens.
Send me to Austria!
Dempseys are notoriously shy. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 11:17:31 AM EST

Which I don't understand, because towards other fish they are bad-asses. But towards humans? Scared to death of them unless there are other fish around them showing them that it's OK.

I never seem to remember my the few Angels I ever had being that way.

But yeah, Giant Zebras were great as dithers for any South American Cichlid. Just adds slow less-flashy movement to the tank too. Which is nice and relaxing to watch.

and more natural. by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:55:18 PM EST
i wonder, though. the angels aren't bothering the baby swords at all...the other swords bug em more than the angels do. then again, angels tend to like baby fish. its the adults that piss em off.
Send me to Austria!
That's a cichlid thing too. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #36 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:29:42 PM EST

They hate their own more than they ever hate other species. But, typically, if they can fit them in their mouths, they'll eat them. And, yeah, most of them like babies more than adults whether of their own kind, or other types.

Cichlids are fun fish. I had a Chocolate that was nearly ten inches keep a pet feeder guppy until it died of old age. Any other fish that got in its tank was toast in minutes, but that guppy was his best bud. He even brought him food from the surface in his later months of life. Kind of sad to watch really.

Sometimes I miss my fish. Then I remember I've got two dogs and three cats in the house and get over it. The last thing I need is more living things depending on me now.

Jack Dempsey's too by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:45:44 AM EST
And Convicts. Those are some big ugly killers.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

no! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:27:44 AM EST
no convicts, unless you plan to feed the babies to something else.
Send me to Austria!
Both Oscars and Dempseys are South American. by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 08:34:32 AM EST
n/t

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

When I was but a wee troll-ling by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 10:10:37 AM EST
A fiendish pet shop owner sold me an oscar for my kid-friendly community tank.

The next day I had a tank and an oscar. Damn thing even went after the catfish.

An Oscar will take out a piranha by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 05:07:42 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

And yet. . . by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 03:22:02 AM EST

An Oscar will keep a guppy as a pet.

Oscars rule.

That's not entirely true. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:37:23 AM EST

It's pretty species specific within cichlids. But, for the most part, they are most aggressive towards those that look the most like themselves. So males tend to attack males more readily than they attack females. But, that particular stripey variety, if I remember right, you need a ratio of about eight to ten females for every individual male to prevent the male from just wiping the females out. They love to slap their hos around. Badly.

Careful with the live crickets. They can get away. And, some fish get gut problems if they eat too many of them.

Ah right by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:40:34 AM EST
She did say that it depends on how many of them you have.

Regarding the crickets, heck, I'm thinking I may start them out on crickets and them maybe move up to dropping live chickens and pigs in there. You know, really train them to be cold blooded assassins.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Careful with that. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 06:43:10 AM EST

Chicken blood makes a really dirty tank.

Or so I've heard.

Then again by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 08:39:13 AM EST
Sometimes you get things like a Red Devil.

I had one of those once. I ended up having to keep it in an isolation tank, since it beat the oscars within an inch of their lives (I found them hiding under a rock with all sorts of cuts and scraps), made the pacu that was easily four times its size cower in fear in the corner as best it could, and I found it trying to push a managuense out of the tank by swimming under it and pushing it up with its head.

The red devil also once tried its best to attack the now-wife. Fortunately there was glass in the way. Oddly enough, though, when I put it in the isolation tank, it refused to eat anything. It would even leave feeder fish totally unmolested.

Even scarier, this one was a female.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Possible small problem: by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 08:40:31 AM EST
Characins, like that tetra of yours, like softer water. African cichlids like hard water. You might have a hard time keeping them together.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

I'm done with the tetras by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 08:56:31 AM EST
I've had lame community-tank fish for the past 10 years and am going to go with just the cichlids for now. The tetra is as old as God and I'd be surprised if he has much time left.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

damn by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 01:54:16 PM EST
The Y scertainly has gotten bigger.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
the little dude by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 06:29:09 AM EST
can we get a better pic? in that one, i swear he's a cory.

also, your fish are acting funny because they've got flaming pink gravel. do you want gay fish, bob? do ya?
Send me to Austria!

No, he's not a cory by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 07:10:59 AM EST
I've had lots of cory catfish and he's not that. He actually has a real dark vertical striping on him, similar to the blue ones. Last night he was swimming around and eating good and seems to be doing well.

Also, check your monitor cause that gravel is R.E.D. red baby. It's bright red. Manly red, even.

Warmest regards,