Print Story The Vagina Monologues
News
By CountSpatula (Wed Feb 01, 2006 at 07:05:09 PM EST) (all tags)
So, it just happens, I'm stage managing The Vagina Monologues this year, for a paid public performance.  Pretty rad, I must admit, having to hang out with these ladies, listen to their pieces, and drink wine with them.  It's kinda weird that I'm male and doing this, but not really.  I mean, after all, you don't have to have a pussy to have feminist tendencies.

It's funny, though, I'm not allowed to talk about doing this stage managing gig at work, because some people who come into a food cooperative might not like the word 'vagina'.  A good friend of mine stated it quite correctly three days ago:  "What, are you supposed to call it 'The Snatch Monologues'?!"  But, fuck it, I'll go about it this way, if they ask.  I'd rather keep a job.

I've never seen this show before, and have only read things about it on occasion.  Now, after three weeks of rehearsals, I can come up with the apropos WTF and subsequent appreciation for this show.  Quite nice.

The ladies in this show are the rowdy lot, too, but still forefront in their pieces.  Quite the group, and quite fond of the wine I tend to bring to rehearsals, to the point that they actually suprised me by presenting me with cash yesterday.  I'm of the firm opinion that this is so I will bring yet more wine tomorrow, to our dress rehearsal.  Which, of course, I will, because I know where to get the cheap yet tasty merlot in 1.5L bottles.  I'll pocket the rest of the loot, of course, so I can get ahead on rent, if possible.  I have a stipend hitting me on Saturday (the day of the main show), which will be quite comforting.

Anyone else worked or seen this show?  Can I please get opinions and such from the crowd, if you may?

< Training.. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Vagina Monologues | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If you can't call it... by randomxs (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Feb 01, 2006 at 09:16:05 PM EST
a vagina, or a snatch or a pussy or...whatever, what can you call it?

"When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him." - Thomas Szasz
Nature's perfect* food. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Feb 01, 2006 at 10:41:40 PM EST
* Watch out for HSV variants.

plspstpxktx [n/t] by martingale (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Feb 01, 2006 at 11:12:12 PM EST

$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Sure, I think I can do that. by CountSpatula (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 08:02:40 AM EST
I'll see what pictures Jessa will get of the show, as I know for a fact she's bringing her camera.  She won't be taking pictures during the show, of course, but I'll have her take poses before the show and suprise photos at the subsequent post-show-drink-a-thon.  I'll have to be sure to get a photo of Xenika, too, the hottie MILF that bought 8 $50 tickets.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
excellent by martingale (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 01:50:02 PM EST
as they say, it's not happened until there's pix on the internet.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Lots of MILF action at these shows. -nt by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 12:19:21 AM EST

*Liberal* MILFs by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #5 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 02:01:41 AM EST
Less action, more shrill blogging.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Are you sure? by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 08:04:09 AM EST
I would be in the school of thought that would assume that liberal MILFs would be about getting some dick action far more often than the conservative MILFs.  But, then again, YMMV, so I don't really know.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
I saw the Vagina Monologues by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 02:13:00 AM EST
while I was in grad school, and I offered extra credit to students who went to seee it and wrote a review. I--a politically active liberal lesbian at that point in my life--unsurprisingly loved it. What surprised me, though, what how much I liked it, and how empowering it really felt. Also surprisingly, my students--both male and female--gave it good reviews, and had good reasons for doing so (so they weren't just sucking up to me).

The author of the Vagina Monologues, um, Eve Ensler? is performing here in Boston sometime this month. A different show she's written, though. I keep thinking I should check into getting tickets....
But sometimes? Sometimes, both shoes have already dropped. Ain't no more shoes. --blixco

Let me know about it. by CountSpatula (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 08:05:40 AM EST
If you go see it, that is.  And, yes, it's Eve Ensler.  Seriously write up something about it if you go see it.  I'll have to check it out, too, if it really sounds good.  She's done a hell of a job with this piece, so I kinda expect more groovyness.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
We took the performance DVD out of the library by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 03:51:23 AM EST
it was enlightening and enjoyable.

Can you refer to it as the HooHaa Monologues?

The Vagina Monologues | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback