Print Story I'm a little teapot
By Heppcat (Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 05:10:46 AM EST) (all tags)
Help fix an argument in the Heppcat household!

So, my wife and I are in disagreement as to the lyrics to the popular childrens' song I'm a little teapot.

We agree on most of the lyrics, except for one part, where it differs quite a bit:

I'm a little teapot, short and stout,
Here is my handle, here is my spout,
?????????????, hear me shout,
Tip me over and pour me out

I was taught (parents from Wisconsin):
When I get all steamed up, hear me shout

She was taught (parents from Delaware):
When you hear me whistle, hear me shout

So, which version were you taught, and where do you think your version originated from?  My parents are from Wisconsin, but I don't know where I learned it.  The most likely possibilites are in Texas, Michigan, or Virginia.  There is an outside chance of an army base in Germany.  My wife's parents are from Delaware and she learned it in Delaware.

< Mein lieber Schwan! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I'm a little teapot | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
steamed up by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 05:43:25 AM EST
It's a cause and effect thing.

sexist (nt) by Man (4.00 / 2) #6 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 07:14:16 AM EST

a childhood friend by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 06:04:43 AM EST
was irrevocably scarred by being taught this version:
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
Here is my handle, here is my ... other handle
Wait -- I'm a sugarbowl!
Parents, don't be too clever with your kids. It catches up with them in kindergarten.

I ate a hegel for breakfast. --mrgoat
Things without which, death. --ana
Not enough scarring by Heppcat (4.00 / 1) #17 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 10:44:28 AM EST
I insist that our children be taught proper song lyrics as to not be ridiculed by their peers for it.  I'm planning on inflicting that trauma through carefully chosen names.

A friend of mine named his son Orion. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 10:52:22 AM EST
I'm assuming he wants the kid to grow up to be a boxer or bouncer or martial arts movie star - some kind of career where getting beat up is a plus.

Wait ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Feb 19, 2006 at 04:21:48 AM EST
did he compromise on "Orion" after being talked down from "Betelgeuse" by his wife? Because if so ... that son knows me and my sugarbowl friend.

I ate a hegel for breakfast. --mrgoat
Things without which, death. --ana
Betelgeuse?!? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #23 Sun Feb 19, 2006 at 09:08:05 AM EST
Dunno - I hadn't heard that one...

His wife is one of those people you love to hate - a stunningly attractive woman who just got her PHd in psychology.

weird ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Feb 19, 2006 at 02:32:33 PM EST
In the couple I know, it's the father who's the psychologist, and thus the crazier of the two.

I ate a hegel for breakfast. --mrgoat
Things without which, death. --ana
Still we've found the pattern - by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #25 Sun Feb 19, 2006 at 04:54:34 PM EST
psychologists give their children names that will cause them (the children) to require psychologists.

I was taught by komet (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 06:10:31 AM EST
that nursery rhymes are folklore and thus have no officially sanctioned wording. This means that to argue over such matters is inherently pointless. Clearly, your argument is a decoy from more fundamental marital differences which you will need professional help in resolving. Contact me - my rates are reasonable.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
and it's surprising how much they can vary by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 09:11:44 AM EST
My daughter bought a book based on the old "I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly..." poem. I was boggled at how different it was from what I remembered1.

1she died, of course.

I think I remember the "whistle" version by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 06:35:44 AM EST
Grew up in Minneapolis.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

I got the "steamed up" version. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 06:43:41 AM EST
I grew up in North Carolina. I, like Kellnerin's friend, was irrevocably scarred by my mom's singing of the song while acting it out in a public park. Oh, the horrors.
damn it, lif eis actually really *far4 too good at tghe momnent, shboyukbnt;t whilen. --Dr Thrustgood
whistle by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 07:34:09 AM EST
All you folks who've been to training, ever leave something behind, or come in late ? Being forced to sing this song is usually the punishment.. Especially for several of the seminars I help teach.

Plus, to sing otherwise is blasphemy, and I shall burn your embassies and riot that God willing, your infidel voices shall be ceased with boiling water!

Kneel before Zod by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 07:53:55 AM EST
"When I get all steamed up"

Think of it this way, if you are whistling, why are you also shouting?  Answer:  you are not...unless you are a terrah-ist.

----

WIPO: by ti dave (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 08:20:46 AM EST

I'm a little teapot, short and stout,
Here is my handle, here is my spout,
Kick me in the Jimmy, hear me shout
Tip me over and pour me out

Yeah, I had a rough childhood.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

Just proof by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 08:43:00 AM EST
that nothing good ever comes from Delaware.
Assumption: by Heppcat (4.00 / 1) #16 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 10:40:14 AM EST
I assume that you do not include my wife in that statement, because otherwise I'd have to something very manly like write a strongly worded semi-anonymous diary entry.

I can make exceptions by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Feb 19, 2006 at 05:31:21 AM EST
Your wife and Dogfish Head Brewery.  That's about it though. :-P
I'm down with tps12. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 08:50:35 AM EST
Your wife is confused.

I have an actual book with the steamed up lyric.

It even has pictures to illustrate the tea-pot dance that goes with the words.

The National Institute of Health by Heppcat (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 10:36:14 AM EST
Supports my claim of steamed up.  But, alas, she doesn't even trust the US government.  I am starting to think she may be a terrorist.

Nah. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 10:51:17 AM EST
But she may be a conservative.

Be careful where you sleep.

Whistle, for rhythmical reasons. by herbert (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 09:07:23 AM EST
"When I get all steamed up" has a stress on "get" which isn't very nice, and there isn't really enough room to sing "all" properly - whereas "me" is shorter and fits in fine.

If you insist on using this bizarre steamed-up wordage, I would advise you to change "I get all" to "I'm all", then you have time to sing "all" properly.

You must know a different melody than I do. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Feb 18, 2006 at 09:13:26 AM EST
because the steamed up wording works perfectly for the tune that I know.

steamed up by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Feb 19, 2006 at 07:29:00 AM EST
and your wife's lyrics are redundant.
Send me to Austria!