Print Story Moment 25
By DesiredUsername (Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 02:39:51 AM EST) (all tags)
The Man Who Would Be King

Also: Attention MillMan Etc

Great movie. Or maybe I should say great story performed very well by the actors. There is definitely a late-19th-century feel to the whole thing above and beyond the fact it's set in/near India during the British Empire. For instance, at several points I expected a modern "twist" such as that Peachy or Danny would break the contract, leading to in-fighting and so forth--but I forgot that even scoundrels would never go back on a gentlemen's agreement. What did them in was hubris, in the great Greek tradition, and they remained loyal to each other to the very end.

Many others have said that horror and comedy are the two hardest types of writing to do, with comedy being the hardest of all. If this movie is an accurate reflection of the original (and I don't see how it couldn't be) then Kipling was a genius at both. The entire story is an understated comic masterpiece that still manages to be chilling, especially at the end. "Peachy screamed and screamed" gives such a vivid picture in so few words.

More than 4 stars, but not quite "zomgthiswasthebestthingevor", so I couldn't round it up to 5. Still, based on this experience, I'm planning to kiple this weekend at the library.

I started the icosahedron in 9" paper. I got a lot further than ever before and I think the reason is that the Connoisseur book has much clearer instructions. Still, step 12 totally stumped me. Speaking of comic geniii, that step has 8 folds and two tucks (which doesn't even include the folds that must be going on on the other side but aren't shown) with the words "Take it one fold at a time" as the instructions.

Maybe if I compare the two sets of instructions I'll be able to tell what to do.

< Laptop Redux | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Moment 25 | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Definitive Michael Caine movies by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 02:43:51 AM EST
Man Who Would Be King ranks as one of them but also like:

Zulu, The Ipcress File, Alfie (original version), Italian Job (original version) and Get Carter.

No Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 02:56:21 AM EST
I've never heard of Zulu or Ipcress, I recognize the names Alfie and Get Carter and I didn't know Italian Job was a remake. (Get Carter and Alfie have both had remakes as well.) Of all these, the only ones that sound interesting to me are Italian and Ipcress, but Netflix predicts I'll just barely like the former. May give the latter a try.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Zulu by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 03:03:58 AM EST
Is a good film probably on a par with a Man Who Would Be King. Late Victorian time period, stiff upper lips, great music and acting.

The (old) Italian Job is probably the most nationalistic Ukian film either made but has some great comedy moments in it.

The original Alfie is much darker and mysognistic than the remake. Much better on the whole.

The only problem with Zulu by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 03:12:04 AM EST
is the drunken priest. The opening scene at Isandhlwana sets the mood very well.

If you can find a copy of The Washing of the Spears, it's a good book about the Zulus and the Zulu War.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Alfie and the Get Carter by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 06:27:48 AM EST
Are fairly dark and relentless - not necessarily in gore or violence, but in emotional outlook. Alfie (have not seen the remake) is brutally insensitive to the various women he wrecks. Caine's charm is used to creepy effect, making you excuse Alfie for truly shitty behavior.

Carter, too, very grim and emotionally dead - the movie feels sociopathic, like all the characters are there to be used and then tossed.

I like both movies very much, but neither share much in common with Man Who Would Be King.

Thus my non-Q-inclusion by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 06:29:43 AM EST
Ipcress sounded like it could be good, though.

Again, though, I'm not following particular actors around, at least not for a larger purpose than to get an idea for the next movie.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Sleuth by gelateria (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 08:00:57 AM EST
Sounds good by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 08:06:33 AM EST
added

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
step 12 by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 05:42:47 AM EST
is the final step, right? If so then I was at least partly stumped too. I saw a way to complete it on my own and just did it that way, but it wasn't very organized and as shown in the pics I found no way to lock the whole thing together without using tape.

The one fold at a time does work - although it's more like two at a time. You're just taking one triangle out of each hexagon and turning it into a multi-plane pentagon.

I might try a few more this weekend.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

One triangle out of each by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 05:44:43 AM EST
That's what I started doing, but I figured there must be a way to puzzle out the drawing since you apparently did it. Now I find you didn't, so I'll feel more confident in mistrusting the instructions.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
well by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 05:49:20 AM EST
I didn't spend more than 5 minutes on that step and I had about a .05 BAL at the time. I'll put in a more "solid" effort this weekend. It really is not clear from the instructions how it all locks together in that last step, so it's going to take some experimentation.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

I think Q is supposed to lock it in by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 06:28:10 AM EST
It all looks great up until that step, though.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Great film. Bad short story. by Wise Cracker (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 01:03:11 PM EST
Really, it was a total let-down. You can save the gas to the library, as the story is public domain, relatively short, and available online. I don't recommend it.

If you're looking for classic comedy, there's "The Lady Eve", "Bringing Up Baby", "His Girl Friday", etc.
Caesars come, and Caesars go, but Newton lives forever