Print Story Misapprehensions
By Herring (Wed Feb 15, 2006 at 04:27:11 PM EST) (all tags)
The ANC's armed struggle was great and noble. We should support and emulate the actions of people like Nelson Mandela.

Now, arrest me.

Also, the tabloids are whining like fuck over the fact that Abu Hamza wasn't arrested and jailed 10 years ago. Well, fuckwits, if he had been , he'd be free by now. Is that what you want?

In the current atmosphere, announcing that there are a whole load more Hamzas out there bent on stirring up trouble is maybe not the wisest course of action.

I don't feel that European secularism should set itself up as opposing Islam at this point in time. No, I think that European secularism should set itself up as opposing all religions. Hell, preaching has killed as many people as smoking*. Let's ban it in all public places.

The problem with us atheists - and especially with the agnostics - is that we don't feel strongly enough about mythical bullshit to stage protests. If someone coule be aresed to organise a burning of TV licenses to protest the BBC funding explicitly Christian programming, I'd be in there. Compare the cost and airtime of Jerry Springer the Opera with all those years of Songs of Praise.

I should point out that Mrs. H. and the kids are away and I was going to get an early night after being "up" late last night (romance and all that) but for some reason I can't sleep. Even after some really good Grass (still reading the Tin Drum). Instead, it's 2am and I'm having a medicinal la frog.

I really, really, really must stop watching Once More With Feeling. Sky have been doing all the Buffy from the beginning and are now up to the start of Season 7. Using my special powers of Sky+ PVR, I have watched the lot. I notice that Tara manages to get on the opening credits just in time to be killed. I've even got Mrs. H. into it - and she never likes sci-fi/fantasy. She doesn't like the lesbian scenes but there's bound to be differences of opinion in a marriage.

Notice, if you want a differnt musical experience, the guy who sits a couple of desks down from me is a composer (known to me as Ray). Apparently The Original Chinese Conjururor will be on at the Almeida Theatre (London) on the 1st, 2nd and 7th of July. Note that he's asked me a couple of questions about how to score the end so it may be crap. OK, he rejected my suggestions so it may be OK.

Once, when I was young and ambitious, I had a plan to write a lengthy opera based on The Trial scored for string octet and percussion. It could work. I fell that for some of the bank boss scenes, you need a more bombastic sound which can probably only be achieved with brass. It's hard to do "ridiculous" on a cello of viola (unless I'm playing it).

The Chili Peppers are allegedly playing London in July. Mrs. H want to get tickets for Me+Her+SD+Friend. Could be fun. Been ages since I've seen a proper band.

OK, just one more bijou dramette ...

*Fact pulled out of my bottom.

< "Another Side to Roppongi" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Misapprehensions | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)
you want to argue against all religion? by martingale (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Feb 15, 2006 at 07:32:23 PM EST
That's crazy talk, man. Nobody bothers with that these days...
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Maybe start a crusade against all religions? by thunderbee (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Feb 15, 2006 at 10:39:49 PM EST
Or maybe not. Bah. Who cares?

Had the same problem when I bought the Buffy DVD, I even ripped Once More With Feeling so I didn't have to pop-in the DVD to watch it.
Well I even went to the considerable trouble of finding the OST (yes there is a CD with all the songs).
As for Willow not singing, she didn't want to (probably 'cause she's not good at singing, explained in the DVD bonuses).

Religion has killed x amount of people by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 16, 2006 at 12:08:56 AM EST
But so has politics

This new incitement of terrorism law really sucks.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Religion is a symptom by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 3) #5 Thu Feb 16, 2006 at 06:46:07 AM EST
of the psychology of masses. Replace one set of beliefs with another, they may differ in literal content, but they'll always end up serving the same sociological impulses. Banning religion will not chnage that. People will still have their beliefs and will still argue, fight, protest, repress, rebel, gather in groups and  worship idols of some form or other.

I think you're right by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Feb 16, 2006 at 07:04:56 AM EST
Ideology fulfilled the same function in C20th, though seeing as the more enlightened of us have ditched that as well, maybe there's hope.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

you cannie change the laws of physics by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Feb 16, 2006 at 10:34:13 PM EST
or in this case the emergent behaviour in tribes.

I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers back in by cam (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 16, 2006 at 02:28:47 AM EST
1993(?) at the Hordern Pavilion. They were pretty good.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

"I've got a theory" by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Feb 19, 2006 at 12:31:07 PM EST
But just the bunnies bit.

Misapprehensions | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)