Print Story Time is never time at all
By Merekat (Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 05:37:20 AM EST) (all tags)
You can never ever leave without leaving a piece of youth
And our lives are forever changed
We will never be the same
The more you change the less you feel

The year of the 30ths. Nine years on from the year of the 21sts. Some faces are still seen, some new ones join and some have fallen far behind. Devoted friends grown apart as the more you learn about each other the less you like. Others less familiar at the time become more appreciated.

21sts were all about the 'big meal out' which for impoverished students meant about 30 of you jammed into the local pizza joint and ordered house wine. Everyone was there, all the crowd. 30ths are quiet evenings in a pub with maybe 8-10 people, leaving early because people have babysitters or dog sitters and you have to get the last bus because you can't get a taxi and we don't just crash on each other's floors anymore.

Some of the crowd, the ones left behind the earliest still seem to try to live it, tempered with a peculiar middle-agedness that mixes gothy gamering with dinner parties. I've never had a dinner party. I've cooked tasty, reasonably complex dinner for multiple visitors but I've never had a damn dinner party and I never will.

I'm glad to have learned more and changed. I don't miss it really, being 21. The knowledge about how people develop and respond to each other over time is worth the smaller numbers. But I don't think I want the quiet evening in the pub for my 30th. I want to do something different, more memorable.

I want to go to Iceland.

< I have given a name to my pain | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Time is never time at all | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Then I think you should by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 05:53:09 AM EST

I've got nothing against strawberries.
Tonight, tonight. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 05:56:05 AM EST
Top song by a top band. Think Rhinocerous is my fave though.

Iceland by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 06:22:15 AM EST
is very nice. We've got a local expert here at husi as well, and I think he'll even give you language lessons, take you to the bars and introduce you to various denizens of the town.. Just don't try to eat any of the local food he pushes on you..

Dinner with friends, at a home, where you sit down at a table, without the TV on, is a dinner party. It's a fun time to share with people you care about. Nothing stuffy or formal about it..

Iceland by stark (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 08:00:37 AM EST
Isn't that the place where you go out every night and flirt with attractive young people but somehow never actually manage to pull?

Seriously, sounds like a good (if slightly unexpected) idea! You should record your experiences in an online diary, or something.
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

me too by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 02:21:23 PM EST
does that make odd?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
My 30th by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Feb 15, 2006 at 05:38:08 AM EST
Dancing round a mate's flat on pills with a bong in one hand and a bottle of Absolut in the other. It was important that I did this rather than had a quiet night in the pub, which was what I actually wanted deep down.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Time is never time at all | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback