Print Story The Great Blizzard of Aught Six
Misc.
By ana (Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 02:48:07 AM EST) writing, ads, blizzard (all tags)
...is only just underway.

Also, a link to an unusually creative commercial.

If you're available at 1pm eastern (1800 GMT) today...

So the rule for Sunday mornings is up at six, no dawdling. This allows us to compress what's usually about 2 hours of morningstuff into about an hour and a half, which gets me to church by 8, with even a bit of extra time for car trouble or spiritual preparations.

Today, the prediction is for a Nor-easter, one of those storms we get from time to time in New England winters. A low pressure zone tracks northeastward off Cape Cod, and the counter-clockwise circulation around it brings the wind in off the ocean, saturated with moisture, which falls as snow. It's much the same effect as Buffalo gets from the winds off Lake Erie. Or Tromsoe, Norway, with the winds off the tail end (but still warm given the latitude) of the Gulf Stream.

So there's a blizzard warning. We have something like 4" of snow (10 cm for you heathens) now, still coming down, though somewhat lazily. With a prediction of much stronger snow, up to 3" an hour, with 50 mph winds (that's a gram per cm2 per hour, with winds of 22 meters/sec, or 2200 cm/sec for you cgs fanatics). A bad deal for driving in.

So my plan was to go out at 7, dig out the few feet of driveway behind the car, which would be easy since the snowplow hasn't been by yet, drive 10 miles into Boston, park God knows where since there's no parking on snowy days, or other days when cops are crotchety, in The City. Sing for the Mass (Howells Like as the Hart, a setting of that same psalm (46?) to Anglican Chant, and something else I forget), and then try somehow to get my ass (and the car) home safely. With said ass still attached to the rest of me. I packed up a blanket, a water bottle, a couple granola bars, and was planning to move the steel shovel from the car in the garage to the one in the driveway.

Phone rings, awakening my esteemed spouse, who's sleeping in cuz she has the flu. (Much better, thanks, but still not even 50%.) It's the choir director, explaining that choir has been canceled, because, while getting there would be doable, getting home could well be dangerous. Not 10 sec after I hung up, the phone rang again, this time triggered by another choirperson, wanting to know if I'd heard (yes), and what I knew about who else had heard (nothing).

So off with the coat and boots, bring in the newspaper, explain to toxicfur what's up, and here we are.

Cool video of the day is a honda commercial, in which all the car sounds are made by a choir. Go to honda.co.uk/civic and click "watch" in the upper left corner. The rehearsals are a hoot also. Available as a podcast.

At 1pm eastern time on Sundays (that's 1800 GMT; the rest of you will have to figure it out for yourselves), I host a writing chat on IRC at slashnet.org, channel #writing. Y'all come, it's fun.

< Chapter 24 - Tibetans and Buddhists | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Great Blizzard of Aught Six | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Glad to know its on its way. by molasses (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 02:54:47 AM EST
We were supposed to be hit early this morning, but it's almost 8am and i'm still looking at clear trees and roads.  sigh  I was waiting for a great storm and I'm afraid it will dwindle out by the time it hits us.

We need to snow.  I'm getting depressed waiting in the weird cold/warm weather.  And I don't even ski!!!

Stay warm and smooches to TF!

toxicfur had... by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 03:07:39 AM EST
e-mailed the coordinator of the House of Usher to say she had the flu; oddly the rest of the people were also unavailable for one reason or another. "Stay home," he replied. "Given the forecast, there won't be that many people to ush."

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

nick and i by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 06:30:25 AM EST
despair of ever being able to go snowmobiling again, without driving up north.
Send me to Austria!
Baltimore here. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 03:02:17 AM EST
7 inches of snow on top of my car, still going. No way I'll make it in to work tonight...
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
13 Inches here in Fairfax VA by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 05:41:27 AM EST
Mr. Ha would callthat "a dusting", around here it's called "the apocalypse." Some people probably won't get to work until half past Tuesday.

Fairly light yesterday afternoon, and didn't stick until after dark. By 10 PM the roads were getting a bit snowcovered.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

yeah, thats not bad by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 06:31:52 AM EST
my aunt and uncle, both from WI, have lived in GA, VA, and KY, and everyone was amazed when they had no trouble making it to work...everyone else was hoarding supplies, and they're like "hey kids, get out the snowsuits, we're making snowmen!"
Send me to Austria!
Not this winter by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 02:43:56 PM EST
I don't think we've had a multifoot snowfall yet. We have about four inches on the ground right now, a shame it is.

It looks to be about 10 inches by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 06:50:10 AM EST
In the western Philly burbs. It's still snowing outside lightly, with the snow supposed to stop at 1pm or so and I'm waiting for the wind to die down until I venture out.

Maybe miker2 can give you the what's happening down the street from me report.

Same here... by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 06:59:22 AM EST
Still snowing, lightly though.  Haven't ventured outside, going to wait until after I completely wear myself out on the bike before I dig the car out.

I may walk to the foodstore later on, I'm in desperate need of salad greens and soymilk.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I'll be there by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 07:16:23 AM EST
Not like I can go anywhere in this weather

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock