Print Story Hi!
Cycling
By hulver (Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 03:47:17 AM EST) fat, jelly babies, music, cycling (all tags)
Bike stuff, Watching dead bodies getting sawn into slices with a band saw, car.

I've discovered that it's much much easier to ride on the trainer while I'm watching something on the TV. I can double or even triple the time I spend if I watch something rather than just listening to music.

So, last night I was watching Gunther carve up dead bodies and slicing them up with a band saw while I was on my trainer.

Certainly interesting, if a touch gruesome.

Time on the bike. 35 minutes.

Total weight lost so far. 10 lbs.
Target Weight. 15 Stone.
Current Weight. 19 Stone.

So, 4 stones to go. (64 pounds for the Yanks in the audience)

Of course I'm sat here eating a bag of Jelly Babies, so that's last nights bike riding down the drain. Oh well, you can't win them all.

I got a new stereo to go with the new car. It's on of those new fangled mp3 cd player thingys.

It's great. I've not finished putting all my mp3's onto CD's yet, but already I've stopped getting fed up with the music in the car.

I'm too anally retentive though. Even though I know that putting every single thing I've got from 1 artist onto a single CD is no good, I still do it. I just have to organise them. Rather than having a variety of stuff on a CD so I don't get bored listening 10 albums from the same band, I just have to have them all in one place.

I've got to fill a CD up as well. So if everything I've got from one band doesn't quite fill a CD, I'll stuff something else into the space at the end. This ends up with quite inappropriate things on the CD. Radiohead and Thin lizzy for example, or Portishead and Enya. WTF is enya doing on there, and why did I even put it there? Because it fit. That's why.

->.<-

Heh. I hate that. Looking at the nutrition information on the back of a pack of Jelly Babies. "Oh, only 315 kcals!"

Then I eat the whole packet and realise that it's only 315kcals per 100g. I've just eaten 215g of them.

Urgh. I feel sick now.

Still, it doesn't beat J who once ate a 500g bag during a long1 drive. She was pregnant though, I'm just a fat bastard.

1 That's the UKian definition of a long drive, IE. 200 miles.

< Developments | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hi! | 47 comments (47 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Pft. by Vertical Frankenstein (4.00 / 10) #1 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:00:20 AM EST
That's the UKian definition of a long drive, IE. 200 miles.

In California they call that a commute.

You know... by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 3) #5 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:10:22 AM EST
...it's sad, but it's almost the damn truth. I know several people who commute over 100 miles round trip into Wichita for work.

It's been said by ana (4.00 / 8) #6 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:21:25 AM EST
that the difference between UKia and USia is that in the UK, 100 miles is a long distance. In the US, 100 years is a long time.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

You can double that for Australia. by Phage (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:30:24 AM EST

Is that near Alice Springs? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:52:53 AM EST
Cow-orker recognized it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Heh by Phage (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:35:20 AM EST
Ex Pine Gap were they ?
A lot of those central highways look the same in the desert. This one is in the Northern Territory, but who know where the pic was taken.

150 miles, round trip, every day by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:32:16 AM EST
From the island into Seattle.

Of course, more than half of that is by train. But still.

My commute's 100 miles round trip. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #32 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 08:34:37 AM EST
I live in the UK.

Consider sunflower seeds or pistachios by lm (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:00:42 AM EST
Or some other tree nut in a shell. The work of removing the shell slows down consumption.

Cicero, The Republic
Only if you swallow it whole. by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:03:10 AM EST
Mastication aids digestion.

Sunflower seeds? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #33 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 10:34:08 AM EST
~600 calories per 100g.  Stick to jelly babies, or jelly, or babies.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
IHBT by lm (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 10:49:41 AM EST
Or are you intentionally overlooking the part about shells.

Cicero, The Republic
You're supposed to eat the shells. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #42 Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 12:08:54 PM EST
It clears out the lower intestinal tenants.

That depends on what you mean by ``supposed to'' by lm (2.00 / 0) #44 Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 04:06:01 PM EST
Some of us already have enough fiber in our diets.

Cicero, The Republic
IHBT! by debacle (2.00 / 0) #45 Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 06:31:25 PM EST
There is no such thing as "enough fiber."

9 lbs. of gummi bears in 36 hours... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:04:27 AM EST
I don't know how much fat or weight that was, but I did have a week and a half long headache from it...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Relax by TurboThy (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:23:52 AM EST
But by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:48:51 AM EST
Good news! by Vulch (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:53:22 AM EST

4 stone is 56 lbs, so that's another 8 lbs down just by writing this diary!

Hurrah! Friday!

Mind you, it's still a half hundredweight or a bag of sand from B&Q. Which reminds me, I need aggregate and cement to make a plinth for the coal bunker.

Yes by hulver (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:59:52 AM EST
I realised when I saw this comment that I'd stupidly used 16lbs per stone instead of the far more obvious 14.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Hmmm... by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:47:03 AM EST

So now I wait for the subtle edit and everyone thinking "What's he on about?". :-)

Sigh. Considering how fast the clock moved between "I've got ages before I need to leave for work" and "Argh! I should be there by now" this morning, this afternoon is really dragging...

Stone by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:54:32 AM EST
Have you Brits always weighed/massed yourself in stone, or is this a recent thing?  It feels like a recent trend to me, but it could just be that I've only recently been hanging out on a UK-based memochatboard.

Always by hulver (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:01:55 AM EST
Well, I've always used it as long as I've been alive.

Only for weighing people though.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I guess the question is by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #29 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 07:55:44 AM EST
at what point did who switch what...seeing as how the US is a former colony and all.

It seems to me that stone is an ill-suited unit for weighing people, as it is not fine-grained enough.

It is by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #30 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 08:09:50 AM EST
That's why we generally add in the pounds as required, eg "8 stone 5". Of course if it's a nice fraction, it'd be, say, "9 and a half stone".

That's finer-grained than weghing in kilos, of course...

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

As Hulver says, always by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:16:28 AM EST
A few years ago there was a law passed requiring all shops to sell weighed goods (eg loose vegetables, sweets, etc) in metric units rather than imperial, but previous to that even they were sold in lbs and ozs.

People have always weighed themselves in stones and measured themselves in feet and inches, although lately I've noticed a trend to use metric units there, too, unless it's just my imagination. Certainly news reports seem to have started reporting distances as km (miles) rather than just miles (eg "they travelled 160km (100 miles)" rather than "they travelled 100 miles (160km)" or just "they travelled 100 miles")

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

When I was in 4th grade . . . by zarathus (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:33:58 AM EST
In the mid-1980's they (the teachers) SWORE to us that the U.S. was switching to the metric system very soon.  And, impressionable youth that I was, I believed them.  I learned it, though, and when it came time for Physics and Chemistry classes, I learned to love it.

BTW, check my new sig.

----------
Blogger - n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do.

When I was in the 4th grade by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:51:16 AM EST
in the mid-1960's they said the same thing.
I've got nothing against strawberries.
What by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:39:43 AM EST

the fuck ... ?

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
damnit by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #38 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 02:39:27 PM EST
there's something wrong with me. i hovered on that, and suddenly i got Darth Vader's personal soundtrack running through my head.
Send me to Austria!
LOL by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #39 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 03:18:25 PM EST

The thought never occurred, and that used to be my favourite film theme too.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
friend of ours by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #40 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 04:14:42 PM EST
decided to switch tapes during his wedding rehearsal. bride gets halfway down the aisle when the wedding march is replaced by the imperial march.
Send me to Austria!
I'm pretty sure by debacle (4.00 / 1) #43 Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 12:12:36 PM EST
The Imperial Unit was probably damaged along with the rest of his lower half.

15 Stone by Phage (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:28:35 AM EST
Well, due to the new exercise programme, I'm down to 15 stone'ish (97kg), but must of those BMI tables tell me that I should be 14 stone 2lbs ! (90Kg) at 6'2".
I dunno if that's achievable at all. At some point I'm going to start producing more and denser muscle. The chocolate roll didn't help either.

DVDs by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 05:53:35 AM EST
You're right about watching tele while on the trainer. I find that loud things I know pretty well work best. Short list:

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Team America: World Police
South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut

I've got nothing against strawberries.

Yes by hulver (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:21:33 AM EST
I think I might have to set up a table with my laptop on it.

Trying to watch TV through the open kitchen door, when the little portable TV is on the other side of the house was a bit awkward.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

My setup by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #26 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:52:17 AM EST

The laptop sits on top of the dog's crate.
I've got nothing against strawberries.

Nice by hulver (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 07:06:12 AM EST
My training area is a bit more cramped than that. It's in a porch area, which stays nice and cool (which is nice) but there's not a lot of room.

I'm not allowed to bring the bike indoors, it's too dirty.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Six Feet Under by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:39:13 AM EST
I watched at least the entire first season while on the trainer two winters ago.  Saving Private Ryan is good when you want to do a long ride but not get bored.

I ride with music now (XM Satellite Radio), mainly because the CompuTrainer display uses my only TV, although doing 30:00 sub-lactate intervals with nothing to look at except my wattage and HR numbers can get boring by the second or third one.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
don't worry guys, by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #37 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 02:17:31 PM EST
I didn't understand that second paragraph either.
Stone? I measure my weight in bags of sugar. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 07:55:17 AM EST
I picture 10 5lb bags of sugar stacked on the kitchen table; how big a pile they would be, how hard they would be to lift.

then I eat another sandwich...

Weight by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 08:24:21 AM EST
One of the guys in the office had a bottle of Coke a while back. I asked him if he'd bought it from the vending machine or from the shop. Vending machine. I said, "Yeah, I thought as much. It's foreign Coke." Cue perplexed look.

I said, "Well, look - it's measured in cl, not ml. Irish Coke is measured in ml. And the angle on the top part of the bottle is slightly off. And the label isn't as glossy as Irish coke. Also, when you open a bottle of Irish Coke, a little ring of red plastic is left behind, but on that one, the piece of plastic stays attached to the cap. And lastly, given that there's a sticker on it with the ingredients over the original non-English ingredients, I'm going to guess that your Coke, like yourself, is from Morocco."

I was right. And I realised I drink way too much coke. So I stopped drinking my regular 1-1.5 litres of Coke per day, and also dropped the roughly one-per-day lucozade habit I'd developed. I'm now down to roughly one can of coke per week. That's like 500 calories per day less apparently.

I just weighed myself there. Weight at HuSi drinks: 13'4". Weight now: 12'10". Hmm. Went downstairs and was greeted with "That top makes you look really thin." Double hmm.

Coke by hulver (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 11:11:29 AM EST
Evil stuff. Really evil sugary caffinated rubbish.

Dr. Pepper is much nicer.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Get rid of all pop in your diet . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #46 Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 07:13:15 AM EST
. . . and you'll lose more weight. Eat rice instead of potatoes, at least a couple of times a week. Don't eat after 10 pm, no snacks.

well, just a few suggestions, I'm sure you have heard them all . . . but it sounds like you are on your way. Good luck - keep a chart, monitor progress on your weightloss - keeps your motivation going . . .

Wow, congrats on the weight loss. by calla (2.00 / 0) #36 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 12:02:25 PM EST
You and molasses are an inspiration.

200 miles by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #41 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:38:19 PM EST
WOuldn't that run you into the North Sea?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
No by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #47 Wed Feb 15, 2006 at 02:30:32 AM EST
Our roads have things called "corners"

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL