Print Story Note to self: Do not piss off the boss
Misc.
By thenick (Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 11:55:46 AM EST) your mom (all tags)
Yesterday, I had a front row seat for what can only be described as a verbal disemboweling of a consultant performed by my boss in front of everyone in the cafeteria. Holy crap, she tore into that guy like a hungry lion tearing into a gazelle. Another coworker and I turned away as not to make the thrashing more embarassing for the consultant.

And it's not like it was at all unwarranted. If you're a consultant and you don't know how to use Outlook's calendering feature, you suck at your job.

Things to do before I die:
  • Get a taylor-made suit
  • Set foot on the majority of continents
  • Swim/wade in the Arctic Ocean.
  • Own a house
  • Learn to play a musical instrument (the recorder doesn't count)
  • Learn how to cook
  • Get a Masters degree in something
  • Write and perform a standup comedy routine
  • See the object depicted in any Magic Eye picture
  • Sail on the ocean
  • Fire a gun
  • Bet it all on Black
  • Not be laid off
Things I've already done
  • Own my own business
  • Win a journalism award
  • Follow Phish around for a while
  • Get into a fight and win
  • Survive a plane crash
  • Become a regular at a bar
  • Learn how to golf without embarrassing myself
  • Tell a cop that he sucks and not have him arrest me
  • Smoke a Cuban cigar
Short term goals: (AKA, this weekend)
  • Go to Troy, MI to buy an iBook for my Grandfather
  • Figure out a way to finance a MacBook Pro
  • Get angry because it's either a laptop or a trip to Miami, then leave.
  • Wait half an hour for my sister, who only ran into Express or New York & Co. for "just a second."
  • Drive to Tom's Oyster Bar in downtown Detroit and eat a dozen oysters.
  • Hope that my car isn't broken into while eating.
< I did it | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Note to self: Do not piss off the boss | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Should you ever make it down to Cincy ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 11:58:55 AM EST
... I'll take you out to the shooting range.

Provided that I'm still in Cincy, that is.

Cicero, The Republic
I enjoyed shooting guns by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 12:14:43 PM EST
the one time I went to a range. Went with my token semi-stable gun nut friend. Just used 9mm handguns, we were indoors so no using his AR-15. Previous to shooting guns I had a certain fear of them, now I do not.

Noam Chomsky: Well, forget about the hippies and so on and so forth.

IMO, It's a lot like driving a truck by lm (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 01:13:47 PM EST
It's a lot of power and easy to misuse. I have to admit that I'm pretty rusty.

Cicero, The Republic
How much longer are you in Cinti? by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 01:45:09 PM EST
I should be out there at the beginning of April for a couple days. I lived there for a few years and though I despised the place I still have some friends there. I managed to have some fun, too.

Where do you go shooting? That place near Fairfield Mall?

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Until I move out by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 02:12:20 PM EST
One of these days I fully intend to escape from Ohio. My favorite place to go shooting is Spring Valley, which is a state park with a shooting range. But to go there, I'd first have to renew my hunting license.

Cicero, The Republic
Maybe not the best idea by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 03:27:19 AM EST
While I'd like to shoot targets again, the insanity and stupidity that is the current airport "security check" is guaranteed to put me on hold. My bags and camera are constantly swiped and tested, as am I. A trace of cordite would guarantee a long delay for me.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Oysters! MacBook Pro! Goddamn! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 12:15:11 PM EST
I didn't realize I was craving oysters until just now.  Unfortnuately, I dunno where to get decent ones in Austin....need to be farmed raised these days, I expect, and fairly fresh.

I was going to get a MacBook Pro for my birthday (which is the same day as Thomas Edison's birthday, by the way) but I bought an Acura instead.  That means six more months of iBook at the least.  Maybe a year.

I'm all fired up about oysters right now.  Damn you.  Damn you to heck!
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat

Question by Man (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 12:31:16 PM EST
If you learned to play a musical instrument, and then let it go so long that you basically forgot, does that count?

those are some depressing goals by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Feb 10, 2006 at 06:22:43 PM EST
Majority of continents? Own a house? You've never shot any gun? You've never not been laid off?

Hope for humanity...fading...

Yes, they're modest goals by thenick (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 05:03:30 AM EST
I have no urge to go to Africa and going to Antarctica would cost about roughly an arm and two legs.

I do want a house, and that one is more of a short term goal. By this time next year I should be either looking for a place or already moved in. Homes are dirt cheap around here.

I've never fired a gun mainly because my family doesn't hunt. I've never bought a gun because I've never trusted myself with one. I know me, and I know I'd screw around with it.

And yes, I've never been laid off, but there's plenty of opportunity in the coming year.

Don't fear for the future of humanity because of me, fear for the future of humanity because of people who think the MTV Cribs lifestyle is obtainable. I shouldn't feel like a freak of nature because I don't have $10k in credit card debt.

----------------------------

"'Vengence is Mine', quoth Alvis. And then he shot the guy, right in the freaking face!"

I didn't think I'd ever be able to amass by debacle (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 11:39:17 AM EST
10k in credit card debt, until I got something in the mail offering me an 8k line of credit.

I mean Jesus H Christ. We (My fiance and I) have a single 500 dollar limit credit card. Even that seems like a lot of money sometimes.