Print Story Flash in the pan
By TheophileEscargot (Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 02:35:06 AM EST) Watching, Consumerism (all tags)
Watching: "Pan's Labyrinth". Italy trip. Consumerism: shaving, Wilkinson Sword Quattro.

Watching
Went to see Pan's Labyrinth at the cinema. Excellent film. A girl slips into a fantasy world in Spain in 1944, where a fascist Captain is battling Republican partisans. Neatly done, with nice touches like the insect/fairies, and avoids too much sentimentality. An entertaining and intelligent movie.

Review.

Museums
Saw the Velázquez exhibition at the National Gallery. Fair-sized exhibition, covering his whole career. Interesting to see his style develop from cartoonish beginnings to realism in the middle to sparse, almost-impressionistic brushstrokes by the end.

Not disappointed by the Rokeby Venus either.

Rokeby Venus

Pretty crowded though, and expensive at £12.

Italy Trip
Screwed up with the health thing. They've changed the rules so you can't just grab a form from the post office, you have to apply in advance for an EHIC card, which I don't have time to do. Hope I don't get sick. Why didn't any of you guys warn me?

Was never good with languages, but I don't think I was ever this bad. Have been listening to a couple of "teach yourself" audiobooks as I wander around, and even on about the fourth run-through of the basics I can barely remember anything. I especially can't remember what vowel anything ends with. Biglietto? Biglietta? Bigliette? It just goes in one ear and out the other. Oh well, hopefully they'll all speak English anyway.

Robbery worries: already have a money belt, but the can be quite uncomfortable: either hanging loose or restricting your breathing, can get quite sweaty, can be fiddly to extract money from without hairy-belly exposure. So, bought an ankle-safe instead. Doesn't seem too uncomfortable, but can see it falling down into visibility.

Bag-wise: decided not to buy the two-part rucksack-with-foldaway-straps. Suspect that as with the last one the daypack would break beforehand, and the straps take up quite a lot of space and weight. Instead will go with the sausage bag, and bought a small collapsible rucksack to use as a daypack. The collapsibility isn't that useful, but the softness means it can be should be easy to stuff into available space in the bigger bag.

Consumerism: Shaving
For 16 years now I've been mainly relying on my trusty Gillette Contour II (Twin blades! Lubricating strip!) though I do use an electric when hungover, and finish with a safety razor for my increasingly rare job interviews and hot dates. It's getting harder to find the blades now though, so I tried out the Wilkinson Sword Quattro on special offer.

Am I just using it wrong or does that razor completely suck?

Even on the easy sideburney areas it doesn't seem particularly close. Certainly no closer than the Contour, and feels slightly worse afterwards. More importantly, with that huge plastic head it seems impossible to shave the tricky bits. Couldn't get under the nose at all, ending up with a half-by-quarter inch of Hitler moustache that I needed to go back to the Contour to remove. Also couldn't get a small patch to the side of my mouth despite a couple of minutes effort, though in that case it should have been topologically possible to get to.

Should I be using it from some strange angle or pressing a lot harder to take advantage of the Safety Bars? Because it just seems to be vastly inferior to its predecessors.

Update [2006-12-9 12:15:31 by TheophileEscargot]: Gillette Contour Plus ad on YouTube!

< One of those weeks... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Flash in the pan | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Shaving... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 02:55:24 AM EST
Somehow Gillette seem to fit the shape of my face much better than Wilkinson Sword. Every time I've tried a WS razor it doesn't seem to work as well. Maybe they put the blades at a slightly different angle so I'm not holding it right. Anyway for half-awake, no-think shaving I've ended up back with Gillette every time.

I'm (I think) a generation or two behind the state of the art in the Gillette line, but I still find that the move from 2 to 3 blades was a massive improvement for me.

You're right about the new larger heads though. Definitelly harder to get at certain areas.

Clearly by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 3) #2 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 02:57:44 AM EST
Wilkinson Sword's target market is ugly people with Hitler moustaches.
Really? by DullTrev (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 07:48:23 AM EST

I'll give them a try, then.

DFJ?
I really like mine. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 03:06:42 AM EST
Don't take that to mean I'm disputing your thesis, though.

I've got an FX Diamond whose blades are just being phased out. I bought 16 off ebay for a fiver just now, and immediately regretted it. Whether they'll be bootlegged or nicked when they arrive, I don't know, but there's still the small chance they're just remaindered or overstock.

I'm still on the two blade version by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 08:10:07 AM EST
I think I've had the cartridge handle for 10 years.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

e111 replacement by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 12:28:44 AM EST
Just get travel insurance. It applies from the minute you take it out.

The e111 and it's replacement only entitle you to the same care as a local would get. In a lot of cases (e.g. Ireland) that means you should have insurance anyway as that level of care sucks.

Tesco twin blade disposable every time by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 01:32:56 AM EST
I was tempted to get that five-blade vibrating razor for a laugh, but balked at the price.

Inceidentally, I am well known for having cuts and little patches of hair all over my face.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

You should be insured. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 14, 2006 at 10:05:41 PM EST
I you have an accident or something of the sor, or touch wood, you need to repatriated on an emergency, you need coverage.

Do not worry about the language, they will rip you off when you buy aqua or a slice of pizza, does not matter which language you speak.

Flash in the pan | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback