Print Story One of those weeks...
By Metatone (Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 02:23:30 AM EST) (all tags)
Some weeks things really roll together in unfortunate ways.

My mother's Uncle R died. He was 94, so you can't complain, but still, not the best start of the week.

My mother's best friend has cancer. This week they spent several appointments explaining how incredibly risky surgery is. It's clear they don't want to operate. And they keep using the phrase "could die within a couple of weeks."

Then this morning, the news is that Uncle A's brother, W has had a massive heart attack. Doctors report "touch and go" and "even if he survives he'll likely have a lot of brain damage." He is 41. His wife S is at the hospital, still breastfeeding their new daughter and their other daughter is only 3.

I never got the chance to really get to know W so far, although Uncle A always reckoned we'd get on because we're both brooding intellectual types.

It is of course, all just "co inky dink" in action. But still, feels like a rough week and my mother is (naturally enough) really feeling it.

It'd be nice to say this "puts life in perspective" etc. etc. but I suspect I'm too shallow for that. I would do things differently if I had only X months to live, of course. I'd be on a plane to China to be with CKG.

But beyond that, if we pretend there is a long term out there, then I'm doing the right things, even if it's hard going at the moment.

And yes, my little issues are nothing compared to the pain S must be going through right now. But I think it's easier not to think about S's situation too much. It's not a good week for too much introspection.

< Another deviantart hottie | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
One of those weeks... | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sorry to hear it all mate by cam (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 06:34:07 AM EST
all my remaining good karma is being directed your way.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Thanks (n/t) by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 07:03:28 AM EST

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 08:20:33 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Well put (n/t) by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 11:11:52 AM EST

Oh Man by hulver (4.00 / 2) #5 Sun Dec 10, 2006 at 09:28:18 PM EST
I'm sorry.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Thanks by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 12:30:20 AM EST
First funeral was this morning.
The other is looming.

this all sucks. by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 08:27:25 AM EST
expect email directly.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

It always comes in threes by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 12:58:01 AM EST
There's still hope there, don't take what the doctors' say as gospel.

Merry fucking Christmas though, eh?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Don't say that! by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 01:32:15 AM EST
2 funerals this week, I don't want to see a 3rd!

(and er, yes, turns out the doctors were right, 4 heart attacks in the night and W just seized up, apparently he had an enlarged heart from cardiomyopathy and was basically  a walking heart attack waiting to happen.)

Shit by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 02:08:06 AM EST
I'll shut up.

Sorry.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Don't be sorry, your comments are welcome by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 10:23:07 AM EST
it's good to make contact with people on the intarweb, keeps my mind distracted.

One of those weeks... | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback