Print Story Mars
By ana (Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 11:07:46 AM EST) Radiation, Mars, Gigawords (all tags)
in which the author is irradiated.

MARS WAS IN THE NEWS again today. There was a NASA press conference, at which a couple of guys on the Mars Global Surveyor team talked about changes observed with that satellite over its 7 year lifetime (recently lamentably ended). One of them looked at all 240,000 images, and noticed a few changes. I suspect there are computer programs doing the same thing, but differing times of day and such make that kind of problematic. The eye, and the geek-brain behind it, are remarkably good at finding stuff.

Anyway, couple new impact craters, and, no known connection, couple new, bright, gulleys. They argue the gulleys are evidence of running water on Mars in the last 7 years or so. The paper's in Science.

RADIATION IS ALWAYS fun. Doc found some imbalance in thyroid hormones a couple weeks back at my annual physical, so I got to drink the cool-aid ingest a capsule with radio-iodine in it this morning. At 7 in the A. M. Snooze. Anyway. I go back tomorrow, same time (did I mention Snooze?) for a scan. And an image. Just to see what kind of activity there is going on in there.

It thrilled my little calibration physicist's heart to be ushered into the room with the radiation detector in it for the pill. There's a chair like a dentist's chair, and a gadget with a flexible arm, again like something in a dentist's office, attached to a computer. The tech had the capsule in a small test-tube like glass container, and was measuring the activity of it with the same instrument that'll be used tomorrow to measure the activity of my thyroid. So, unless something happens to the instrument between now and then, we'll have a pretty clean measurement of how fast my thyroid uptakes iodine.

It's a pretty clever experiment. And they'll be imaging the emission after the first test, so they'll know what's hot and what's not.

Seems this kind of thing runs in families; my sister had a similar condition a few years ago. Shouldn't be a big deal, really, from what I read on Teh Intarwebs.

OUR GROUP SEEMS TO have survived our annual review from the outside world. The last few years we've been doing a two-day workshop kind of a thing. It's been decided that's overkill, so those will be biennial, and this year's review was by teleconference, and lasted all of an hour and a half. With relatively minimal suggestions from Them.

THIS YEAR'S NANOWRIMO seems to have inspired just shy of a billion words to be written. Yowza. Filling the world with dreck since 1996 or whenever. ;-)

I FIND MYSELF more or less without an idea for the Music Fun Challenge. Or, for that matter, the yet-to-be-announced Writing Fun Challenge. And I haven't started my Xmas shopping yet. So there.

< General Failure | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Mars | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Thyroid stuff by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 11:28:57 AM EST
My wife is having to go in this upcoming Monday for the five hour marathon (glucose) pee test. Her doc is trying to figure out if it is her thyroid or her adrenal gland which is out of whack. Supposedly this will help figure it out somehow. She has been on Synthroid for the last couple of months, which has helped somewhat, but still doesn't seem to get the whole job done. The constantly being tired is a continuing concern.

MFC ideas by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 11:49:08 AM EST
I had an idea this morning to do a theme and variations on the theme from "The Andy Griffith Show".

We'll see. My usual approach is to try something impossible, and then fall back to something easier at the last minute.

Or Mister Ed. by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 12:16:50 PM EST
There are only a few shows whose theme music pops immediately to mind (for me, at least).

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

radioactive ana! by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 12:30:16 PM EST
Re: MFC -- don't you want to set, well, anything to the Buffy theme song? C'mon. Or cover one of the songs from the musical episode (that's cheating, but what *FC isn't about cheating?) In the "cheesy things to ana-fy" category, there's the theme to Wonderfalls.

And re: WFC, don't ask me. I'm currently in a "don't know what I'm going to write, like, for the rest of my life, ever" kind of mode.

"If we build it, will they come, and what will they do when they get here?" -- iGrrrl

Oookay... by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 09:52:54 AM EST
never heard of Wonderfalls before. Looks like it might have been fun.

And re: WFC: I hear that. There are still characters knocking at my head, wanting to tell tales, though.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

it was ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 11:50:06 AM EST
one of those "killed too early by Fox" shows (even faster than Firefly, to which it is related via both shows having Tim Minear as an Executive Producer; it was also co-created by Bryan Fuller, who has a hand in Heroes). Anyway, it (a) features talking inanimate objects, so my liking it is pretty much a no-brainer, and (b) has a love interest named Eric, another hallmark of a genius creative work. I may have stolen a name from it for my most recent WFC entry (my subconscious is not entirely owning up to where it came from). Its relatively short run (13-ish episodes) is available on DVD ...

Mars might be looking for a water heater... by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 12:36:54 PM EST
...just sayin'...

Xmas shopping by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 08:39:00 PM EST
bah! I only shop for Christmas presents on dates starting with the number 2 (and preferably followed by a 3 or a 4)

so, will this radiation give you super powers and if toxicfur snuggles up close enough will it let her become a flying, poison-spitting, fire-breathing, not-cute dragon???

-mh
[Mostly Harmless]

If ana gets a superpower, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 03:33:44 AM EST
and I don't, I'm going to be seriously bummed. Hm. I wonder if ana gets a superpower and then bites me while still under the effects of the radiation, then maybe it'll be transferable? Sigh. I can only hope, I guess.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
Superpowers by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 12:42:30 PM EST
So toxicfur greeted me when she came home today with the news that she had lightning bolts coming out of her eyes. I allowed as how that's a pretty cool superpower.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

I'm amused ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 03:24:47 PM EST
that you replied to toxicfur to post this.

But more importantly, that's supposed to be my superpower, or close to. Can she teach me how?

Actually... by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 03:37:20 PM EST
One hears rumors that...

Ahem.

Attention iGrrrl infidel. Call your office.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin