Print Story Stuff
By Herring (Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 03:15:56 AM EST) ennui (all tags)
Including one or more things.

I have convinced myself that the TV problems we've got are down to the dish shifting in the wind. I found some stuff on the intarweb about getting into the secret engineers menu and things to try. I was already following the logic that both boxes going tits at the same time was very unlikely therefore the problem was either dish or LNB.

Anyhow, we found a local dish/aerial outfit that can come and have a look but not before Saturday. Since they'll have signal meters and things, I figure it's easier for them to sort it. I don't even have a compass.

Work is pissing me off. Not a lot to do at the moment. I could go back and get all the design documentation up to date and neat but does that really sound like fun?

I've probably whinged before on this, but it's my view that if you're writing "business objects" then they and they alone should interact with your storage (especially writing). Once you start pumping data into the DB directly then you're bypassing all this logic which you've carefully (maybe) captured and implemented. A quick browse through ClearQuest indicates that about 90% of serious problems in the last month have been caused by pumping data directly into the DB which doesn't quite fit the business objects. Including this morning's brown-trouser event.

I could write at length on the subject, but it would be dull.

Mrs. H. is having increasing problems with her foot. It's an athritis thing caused by ballroom dancing when younger (yes, really) and spending more time standing (as a teacher) isn't helping. She had an X-ray yesterday and is waiting for results. Apparently they can do a toe replacement these days.

I think I need cheering up.

< looking for cheese | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Stuff | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good Luck by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 03:36:50 AM EST
To Ms H. Feet can be bastard.
To cheer you up you can imagine me meeting with $BigAmericanConsultants and $BigIndianSuppliers for a fun-filled frolic through the financial modelling.

Indeed by Herring (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 05:45:15 AM EST
Between Mrs. H.'s arthritis and my gout, we can hobble around looking like our combined age (80).

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
It'll be good to go without telly for a bit by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:16:08 AM EST
Radio 4, piano, guitar, books...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

totally agree on the BOs by cam (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:32:58 AM EST
they are the business interface for a reason, and one of those is data structure uniformity and integrity.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Sadly there are two problems by Herring (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 05:33:06 AM EST
  1. A data access layer written by a moron for a different purpose
  2. The Fundamentalist Codd Squad who don't believe in this whole newfangled "data and behaviour" notion.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
They can be a problem too by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 04:54:45 AM EST
If the person responsible for speccing the system was not aware that there was a need for bulk data loads, then you may get an interface that is designed towards user objects and a nice flabby, non-caching object name service layer. Try pushing  a realtime financial data feed through an interface designed for GUIs to talk to. And wait for the phone to ring when because the actual users start to find the system is a little sluggish.

Don't have a compass? by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:38:36 AM EST
Buy one. It's gotta be cheaper than having professionals come out and look at the dish. Especially as the setup menu for the box should have a signal strength meter that outputs both visual and audio.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Well, by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:54:24 AM EST
I did some investigation on teh intarweb. Apparently with the Sky+ boxes, there is a huge latency between moving the dish and the signal strength updating. This means spending ages up the ladder tweaking and then shouting down to Mrs. H.

Didn't fancy it.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Ah, I see by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 05:00:14 AM EST
I used to have Direct TV satellite. It was easy to set up.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Signal strength meters are cheap, though by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 05:05:41 AM EST
£9.99 from Maplins. Still, I wouldn't blame you for not bothering.

Main concern: by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 05:15:31 AM EST
If my ladder goes through my garage roof, it's my problem (financial and physical). If it's someone else's ladder, then it's their problem.

If it happens again, I might attempt it myself. Tempted to scribe some marks on the thing after it's working for instant re-alignment. We might be in for a windy winter.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Et aussi, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 05:24:26 AM EST
Rod Hull est mort. Il est tombé de le toit en alignant son aérien TV.

I think it's a Mitchell and Webb quote, but I can't find it.

good lord by martingale (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 11:33:51 PM EST
Toe replacement you say? What's next, penis replacement?
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$