Print Story looking for cheese
By Merekat (Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 02:51:28 AM EST) (all tags)
As an exercise in positive distraction, I am planning my Christmas.

It will involve LotR to excess, some books (undefined) and good food and beverage that I would not normally purchase. I'm aiming for quality and curiousity rather than quantity.

Wine-wise, I'm probably going to get myself a Galpin Peak pinot noir. Also a nice dessert wine (a tokay) or perhaps a port, since I don't normally indulge in dessert wines.

Food wise, I will attempt to find a little caviar. Also, amaretti are essential. And some nice cheese. A crumbly wensleydale, perhaps? Or a tangy cheddar? Or salty ammoniac tallegio? Stinky blue cabrales? See, this is where I get stuck.

Damn, now I'm hungry. Why isn't it lunchtime?

< I thought it was something to do with your exhaust | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
looking for cheese | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
CHEESE ! by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 03:07:03 AM EST
Sorry about that - had a 'moment'.
We just finished a Camembert at home that was excellent, but smelled so bad that I worry about the lining of the fridge. It had to go.

On wine... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:28:42 AM EST
I need to try a Rivesaltes that a friend recommended.

On cheese: surely "all of the above" is the way to go?

but by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:41:43 AM EST
then I'd have to buy more wine...oh, wait.

Indeed. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 04:07:06 AM EST
I've just eaten... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:29:56 AM EST
...and yet you've made me hungry again.

Two year aged gouda by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 04:46:35 AM EST
Available in shops around here. Very yummy. Strong, sort of parmesanish.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Greetings cheese pickers by Herring (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 05:20:29 AM EST
(Traditional Fluff Freeman music in background)

The Herring top 5:

1. Smelly Camembert
  2. Stilton
  3. Some local goats cheese that I got down the farmer's market the other day
  4. Roquefort
  5. A really good cheddar

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Well, I like Dolcellate by squigs (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 06:35:59 AM EST
Cheddar has to be really good to outdo a decent stilton or mature camembert.  You just can't get good quality vintage cheddar without realy hunting.  Even a lot of delis don't do it.

Dolcelatte is a good cheese by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 09:51:53 AM EST
But it's not a classic cheese.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky