Print Story A whine
By ucblockhead (Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 11:28:17 AM EST) (all tags)
Nothing seems to be going right.

On Saturday, I was to take the FoML to a pool party. While I was on my way, some idiot decided to take a shot at the CHP officer who pulled him over and thereby got himself full of holes. This in turn caused the police to close off the entire freeway to "investigate". I discover this by when brake lights appear. Want to know how long it takes a five-lane freeway to merge down to a single lane? An hour and a half...

So we arrived at the party just as it was breaking up and I had to deal with explaining to the FoML why he only got to swim for fifteen minutes after having been such a good kid while stuck in a car for two hours?

That evening I was to defeat the sorceress with my Seal Clubber so that I could get at all the new Crimbo stuff. In a sane world, it would have been easy, but luck was such that I couldn't get a goddamn photoprotoneutron torpedo in the sixty adventures I had.

The next day I discovered that the mortgage company decided to sign us up for automatic payment on our new mortgage without our permission and without telling us. I discovered this when I saw two mortgage payments being made in the same day. Apparently they felt ok with taking interest for this month twice.

I also discovered yesterday that for the same refinance, the title company had put a "stop payment" on the check that they'd sent us for a refund. This entailed a $6 "stopped payment" fee anda $35 "improperly calculated deposit" fee for my bank.

I should be calling to deal with this but my car won't start, and apparently getting someone here to tow is impossibility. I just spent an hour sitting and waiting for them down the end of the street. This, after spending a half hour trying to bump start it and prior to that spending an hour trying to jump start it.

[Update] The tow truck showed up and was able to jumpstart my car. Either I'm a retard or there was something wrong with the jumper cables. I've jumpstarted my wife's car at least twice with them though.

Apparently you can't pushstart a car with a completely drained battery. Learn something new every day.

My wife also plastered over my Loco Roco game with her own save game.

Fuck.

Oh, and the little pad fell off on my glasses and it's giving me a migraine.

So how's it with you?

(I'm off to see if my car will hold a charge...wish me luck.)

Update [2006-12-5 0:54:15 by ucblockhead]:

The battery held the charge. The extra mortgage payment was reversed. The title company wants me to call "steve" tomorrow about the bad check. Whisky cured the headache.

And to add onto all the crap, I got a Home Depot order today...they sent the wrong stuff.

< WWHD? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A whine | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Crawl into a hole and cry by debacle (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 12:12:10 PM EST
I'm having a similar day, though my woes are work related.

There are days when I hate having to abide being by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 12:18:53 PM EST
civilized.

There was a time when taking too much money, or any for that matter, from a bank without permission were usually met with a shotgun and a noose. Life may have been a bit harsher in those days but events like that got resolved. And rather quickly, too.

There are days when being civilized just does not seem to pay as well as it should.

Money by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 12:21:49 PM EST
Fortunately they reversed it without trouble. (i.e. only requiring I spend 45 minutes on the phone with them.)

I wasn't surprised...they signed me up for automatic payments without my permission. I'm fairly certain that's illegal.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Illegal sure, by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 06:26:55 PM EST
But that doesn't stop anyone nowadays.

You should bill them for the 45 minutes.

--top hat--

that's a hard game by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 01:27:02 PM EST
i can't get past the level where you create a character.

think of it has a thriller by R343L (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 01:48:18 PM EST
What next will fuck up ucb's life? Will terrorist seals come to beat him senseless? Will Fo-ucb-L's evil twin cross time and alternate dimensions to get back at his father for making him miss a party? Will the transnational-mega-super-duper-bank sign ucb up for AOL? Find out after this tension-building fade to some unrelated storyline.

Okay that joke just doesn't work. But I'm leaving it here in the hopes that its pitifulness will make you laugh nonetheless.

True story: I've drained the battery on our civic to non-startable-ness twice in two months. By leaving the headlights on while sitting in the car waiting for something (generally reading). The first time we didn't have jumper cables and no one in the 99 ranch seemed to either (neither did the gas station up the road). Finally we found some nice people who did have cables who helped us out. We immediately went out and bought cables. Three weeks later I did it again. Good thing we'd bought cables.

Rachael

Unfortunately by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 02:05:33 PM EST
My damn cables didn't work.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
seems weird to me by R343L (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 02:12:04 PM EST
How do jumper cables fail? They seem really thick to me, so it's not like the wires could get split, could they? I mean not with there being like obvious rust and crap.

But what do I know? Although a software programmer, I run from electronics and electrical all the time...

Rachael

A poor connection to the battery terminal maybe by Greener (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 02:27:11 PM EST
My car wouldn't start Saturday morning either. The starter was getting enough juice to click the solenoid but not turn the engine over. I tried to check the battery with my multimeter but it's bateries were dead too. I disconnected the battery and cleaned the corrosion off the terminals with a wire brush and it started like a charm.

I looked it up and it turns out you should clean your battery terminals every 6 months.

The Navy Kind? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 01:59:21 PM EST
or those cute lil things at the zoo?

Blizzard of Death '06
i assumed by R343L (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 02:55:40 PM EST
a seal clubber in KoL actually clubbed seals. So, the cute kind. But I might be wrong, having never played it.

Only in theory by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 03:08:37 PM EST
I've never encountered a seal in the game.

Wait...I have...that's right, in the daily dungeon you sometimes have to "dispel the mystic seal".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman