Print Story Merry Christmas to all
By webwench (Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 09:09:58 AM EST) (all tags)
Sometimes the best Christmas gift is one that involves just going the heck away already.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with my less-than-notable absence from the site of late, by the way.

I am moved into the house, in the sense that all my stuff is on the premises, although much of it is still in boxes, and some of the boxes are in the wrong rooms, and some of the walls are still torn up, and there are even still some broken things and missing things. I have spent all of one night at my new home out of the past week, due to all the Christmas fun, but this is as I like it, this particular year.

I am at work this week, as I am the lone sucker who preferred to take her remaining vacation days before Christmas rather than between Christmas and New Years, so it's just me, my distant offshore pals, and a very few local workaholics here in the office this week.

The boy is off with his dad on the other side of the country until tomorrow night, and will be with me the next day, for 'kid Christmas'. After that, he is off with my mom to visit his great grandparents over the weekend.

Between the house purchase and Christmas, I have lost control of my finances almost completely, and will be struggling to get the runaway horse under control again over the next month or two. This, too, is ok, because I have a plan. But wow, am I broke. I'm used to having a big fat cushion and not having to balance the checkbook and such, but I guess it was time to rejoin the real world anyhoo and start tracking these things and maybe live with a budget, eat peanut butter sandwiches and ramen, crazy shit like that. Hey, I never was much of a cook anyway, I have a limited repertoire, and it's all outer darkness and lions there beyond the DMZ.

You know, it's been a tough few months for me, in the sense I've been uprooted and out of sorts for a while, I had a couple of odd personal-life things going on which I wasn't certain how to handle, there have been spikes of difficulty and frustration, there have been a lot of logistics and tasks and deadlines to manage which at times I've doine well and at other times poorly, there have been financial issues, family issues and even kidlet issues, just repeating avalanches of small- to medium-sized things, and yet through all this stress, my internal world has had smooth sailing. Oh, some stress, sure, but hell, that's okay. I feel sorted out. I feel calm. I feel ready, and I think sometimes when you are really ready, interesting things begin to take shape before your eyes. Somehow, I think this is true.

I've spent the entirety of the past week with people very, very special to me, family and friends and neighbors, some old and some new. I've been home just one night this week, every other moment has been on the road in one way or another. I was asked, at different times, "What do you want for Christmas?" I said, nothing, no more stuff. I have all the 'stuff' I need, there is nothing I want, and really nothing else that I need could be put into a box and wrapped and left under the tree for me anyway. This year, I have received everything I needed and many things I wanted.

I had the opportunity before Christmas to just 'run away from home' for a few days, and for the first time in a long while, there was an open window of no schedule, no logistics that couldn't be handled on the fly, no concern about the passage of time or the progression of things upon things, the eternal tyranny of what will follow what and when, and that time and that freedom was the best gift I could ever have received, period, end of story. I have a new perspective on some things, and I am, simply put, very, very lucky to be where and when I am. I don't know what else to say.

I also wanted to tell superdiva something, and because of the circumstances it ought to be public. She and I had a big disagreement a while back about a thing which I thought at the time was ridiculous, and I just didn't get it. Now, I really get it. Discretion, privacy, and control over disclosure is gold, and once any of that is out the door you can't get it all back. I'd like to issue her a public apology, no reply expected, but there it is. I understand now, and I apologize with complete sincerity. I was wrong.

< The good, the bad and the mediocre | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Merry Christmas to all | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
ms. wench? by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 09:55:03 AM EST
i have a dilemma, maybe you can help. how do i prevent the old men from smooching me on the lips at the wedding?
---------
Dance On, Gir!
the appearance of a case of raging oral herpes by webwench (4.00 / 4) #2 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 09:59:00 AM EST
should do it. I think you can simulate this ailment with Elmer's glue and an exciting assortment of stick concealer colors.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Nah, they won't notice (or care) by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 10:20:32 AM EST
You have to perfect the "present cheek turn" timing. You have to let them get close enough they're committed, then turn your head to give them your cheek at the last moment. Timing is critical.

Old women do this to men as well, so nick should also practice his timing.

i've got that technique down. by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 10:33:31 AM EST
the problem here is his grandpa WILL try again until he gets the lips.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
A knee to the groin? by FlightTest (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 11:05:23 AM EST
I take it explaining to him softly and politely that you prefer not to kiss anyone except nick on the lips is out of the question?

Geh, reason number 5,387 to elope to Vegas.

Damn! If I was coming, we could practice. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 11:28:16 AM EST
I've been the target of cheek-turning women for years. I could give you some pointers on your technique -- which might involve training you to turn your head at the last possible millisecond.

Then nick could beat the crap out of me. #;^)

naw, he wouldnt by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 12:06:04 PM EST
it's just cheek kisses. unless, of course, my technique really does suck.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Ha! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #9 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 12:23:41 PM EST
I'd have my tongue jammed down your throat before you knew what hit you. Indeed, it's a darn good thing I wasn't invited to the wedding.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

okay, but THEN by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 12:50:48 PM EST
nick would have a good reason to beat the crap out of you.

the trick is to ask permission.
---------
Dance On, Gir!

Bah.. by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 11:16:04 AM EST

That's what we're here for. Have we ever steered you the wrong way in the past?

I understand now, and I apologize with complete sincerity. I was wrong.

Oh crap, if you're going to start acting all mature and grown up I won't be able to poke fun at you anymore.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

No matter how grown up any of us act by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 01:32:09 AM EST
You'll always find a way to poke fun. You're just mean clever like that.

eh by webwench (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 07:17:08 AM EST
we're all faking it anyway... aren't we?

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Oh, no by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 11:08:36 AM EST
Growed ups do exist. My friend says he really saw one once.

They're quite scary though and best avoided if you ask me.

lucky you. by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 03:47:58 PM EST
I haven't had a day to myself in years. At this rate it'll be a few years before I get the chance again.

Hope you enjoyed yourelf.

You know what I'm learning? by webwench (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 07:18:01 AM EST
I think you have to make time for that stuff. I think it's critical for your mental health. Of course, in my case, it may have been more about the company than anything else.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Merry Holidays. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 09:19:46 AM EST
It sounds as though your life is solidifying into something quite good.  Not that we didn't know that, but knowing it and seeing it happen = two very different things.

Anyhow, yeah.  Good stuff.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

diary wise by garlic (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 07:20:47 AM EST
you really are much more together than you were a few years ago. Good on you.

Merry Christmas to all | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback